The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > No Man's Land > Pioneer Aviation

Pioneer Aviation Topics related to the aviators and aeroplanes prior to WWI

Closed Thread

Old 18 September 2006, 06:59 PM   #1
EricGoedkoop
Forum Ace

Early Hanriots

It may very well be that I'm just not looking in the right place, but it seems to me that there isn't very much information on the early-type Hanriot monoplanes freely available. I'm interested in how many designs there were, what they were called and how they differed. A good place to start is Gérard Hartmann's well-illustrated article on www.hydroretro.net; unfortunately upon examination it seems that some of the type designations are a bit mixed-up in the photo captions. Studying all the images I could find (a large number of which are postcards), I think I've made a decent start at getting this mess sorted.

Now you guys can tell me if I've got it completely bolloxed or what . . . .

Hanriot I is easy.

Hanriot II and III: I'm assuming these are the two machines exhibited at the January 1910 Brussels show. The II has an all-wood fuselage and upright Gregoire engine, the III is somewhat larger with a fabric-covered rear fuse and Clement-Bayard.

Hanriot IV: According to Hartmann, this is a two-seater in which the army showed interest. I think this may be the machine shown on page 5 of Hartmann's article flying formation with Latham in the Antionette at Rouen. I have it that Marcel Hanriot was flying a Type VI at Rouen, but the aeroplane in the photo is clearly not a VI - note the eight-legged undercarriage similar to (what I believe is) the Type III.

Hanriot V: There is a postcard titled "Marcel HANRIOT - Monoplan № 5." Unfortunately, it's a closeup of Marcel in the cockpit and doesn't show any identifiable features of the aeroplane. There are also a few photos of a machine with an all-wood fuselage and six-legged undercarriage (matching the Old Rhinebeck repro in most respects) marked with a large "5" on the fuse. Hartmann's caption on page 1 says this is Marcel at Rouen in the Type IV, but it looks to me to be a single-seater and therefore can't be the IV. I realize that the "5" is more likely a race number than the company designation but I can't fit this one in anywhere but at V. I think Bathiat's is the same type.

Hanriot VI: Easy. There's a splendid photo in Opdyke's book showing this machine, marked "Hanriot VI" on the fabric rear fuselage. The VI seems to be the most successful and popular of all the Hanriots, and the easiest to find pictures of. Two-seater, triangular-section fuse that is wood planked in front and fabric-covered in rear, six-legged undercarraige with an auxiliary diagonal inverted-V brace in the forward bay, no tank suspended from the pylon and what appears to be a small wheel at the end of the tailskid.

Hanriot VII: Single-seater similar to the VI, but without the extra inverted-V brace in the undercarraige or tailwheel. There's a small fuel or oil tank suspended from the wing warping/bracing pylon. I belive this is the machine shown at the 2nd Exposition de Locomotion Aerienne in Paris, Oct - Nov 1910, and also pictured on at least two postcards with Henri Lefargue. I would guess this might the one that was being tested by Martin on Sept. 29.

1911 Concours Militaire:

Hanriot entered three machines into the military trials. This is where Hartmann's designations go totally screwy. If I'm right up to this point (and I'm not saying I am), they'd be the VIII, IX, and X.

Hanriot VIII: There are four photos on Hartmann pages 9, 10 and 11 that are variously labeled but seem to all show the same aeroplane, which I take to be the VIII. Looks very similar to but perhaps a little larger than what I'm tentatively calling the VII, except there is no tank on the pylon. Since one of the requirements of the Concours was that the aeroplane carry three people, I would think that the tank was moved in the interest of headroom. The VIII should be powered by a 40hp Clement-Bayard.

Hanriot IX: A larger machine, the 100hp Clement-Bayard powered IX had two pair of wheels, a fuel tank carried below the fuselage in the middle of the undercarriage birdcage, and two smaller tanks on the pylon. The rear pylon uprights were curved, coming to a point at the top rather like a gothic arch. Radiators are mounted on each side of the forward fuse Antoinette-style. The rear fuse is fabric-covered and the rudder is completely above the stabilizer/elevators (whereas earlier types had a “fishtail” rudder centered on the back end with small fins above and below the fuse). Curiously, there is one photo of what appears to be this machine with an early-style rudder. There is a large steering wheel in place of the trademark Hanriot dual levers.

Hanriot X: Hartmann claims that the third Hanriot entered in the Trials had a 200hp Clement-Bayard, but I’ve not yet confirmed that there even was such an engine. Photos show a machine similar to (what I’m calling) the IX but with an extended wingspan, single, larger tank hanging form the pylon and triangular, non-arched pylon uprights front and back. It looks to have a 100hp Clement-Bayard. This is the machine featured in the Automobiline ad.

Hanriot-Gnome Militaire: Hanriot’s entry into the 2nd Military Trials in 1912 was smaller than the X or XI. The fuselage appears to be all-wood, and the undercarriage is reduced to four legs. The pylon is a pyramid similar to a Nieuport or Morane-Borel, and a high metal cowling encloses the Gnome engine. This would seem to the last of the early-style Hanriots.

That’s about as far as I’ve gotten. I’m assuming (and this is probably a BIG mistake) that the Type numbers were sequential, that no numbers were skipped, and that I’ve actually found photos of all the types. I’m nervous about that, but Hartmann’s article indicates that the Type VIII was one of the three at the 1911 Concours Militaire and I seem to see seven distinct versions before reaching that point, so maybe . . . . . .

If anyone can confirm, deny or elaborate on ANY of this, I’d be grateful. A lot of it is semi-educated guesswork. I’d like to nail down as much as possible and some small details tucked away in somebody’s stack of magazines (Joe, I’m looking in your direction) might really help.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hell, thanks for just reading all of this.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Old 18 September 2006, 07:24 PM   #2
EricGoedkoop
Forum Ace

One thing I wanted to ask specifically:

The longer-winged 100hp machine at the 1911 Concours Militaire (the one I'm calling Type X) has a "28" on the underside of the starboard wing, and a photo of Dubreuil in the cockpit of the shorter-winged one (IX) shows a small "23" on the fusealge side, near the seat.

Does anyone know what numbers were assigned to which aircraft at the Trials? Does a list still exist?
Old 20 September 2006, 09:40 AM   #3
jtisch
Forum Ace

Sorry Eric,

I don't have any info to help you out. How about some Hanriot eye-candy as a consolation?

This photo doesn't really do this 1/4 scale model justice.
Old 20 September 2006, 02:31 PM   #4
EricGoedkoop
Forum Ace

Nice!

I've been playing with the Hanriot-Pagny monoplanes, too. This one, of course, is the one flown by Andre Frey in the 1912 Gordon Bennett in Chicago. I've wondered if the cowling and metal panels were painted green or left natural - Based on the two photogrpahs I've found I thought painted:

I could be wrong.

Old 3 October 2006, 03:43 PM   #5
John_F

Part 1

My French is terrible. I did my best to translate the article from the start of the tread. I'm sure I butchered a lot of it, and could translate some of it at all. Here is what I have:

Marcel Hanriot, youngest pilot in Europe by Gérard Hartmann

Marcel Hanriot was born in Champlitte en Haute-Savoie on June 8 1894. When he was a child, his father René Hanriot (born in 1872) became famous winning automobile races.
In 1903, while his father was running in the Paris – Madrid race, the young Hanriot (age 9) traveled to Versailles and Choisy-le-Roi to see his father. But after a few kilometers, the race was over for René Hanriot, due to engine problems (possibly two cylinders having left the engine.) The following year, René Hanriot beats the world road speed record at 128 km/h.

He then goes to Châlons-on-Marls (now Châlons in Champagne) where the roads are flat and straight in hopes of attaining 180 km/h with a big Darracq of 200 hp. His copilot
is none other that his 10 year old son. In 1906, in a Darracq of 120 hp, René Hanriot finishes second in the race at Ardennes.

In 1908, while the automobile races are in full swing, René Hanriot wins the World Championship (unofficial) in a Benz of 150 hp. But he already had another sport in mind. In May he bought one of Léon Levasseur’s Antoinette monoplanes with a 25 hp motor. But by the end of 1908, the monoplane was not yet delivered and René Hanriot lost patience. This was when he decided to make his own machine. In February 1909 he creates the Hanriot Monoplane Corporation with 500,000 Francs capital. A shed was used as a hangar, workshop and office. His son assisted with the building of the aeroplane. In the summer of 1909, the first Hanriot I proudly left the workshop for its first flight. The motor seemed questionable as early as the departure. Hanriot bought a 6-cyl Buchet, that develops 45 hp and weighs 155 kg.

The Hanriot I is proudly presented to the first Salon de l’aéronautique at the Grand Palais in Paris, September 1909. Its slender lines and good looks instill confidence and Hanriot receives orders for about twenty of his machines, although it did not again fly. In October, the flights to Bétheny and those carried out at Reims by René and Marcel show that the motor is too heavy! The machine is unable to do more than short hops. He looks for another motor. A virtually unknown engineer by the name of Pierre Clerget (34), from la Maison Clément-Bayard, that he knows from his auto racing days designs a four cylinder in-line engine of 40 hp.

By this time, devoting himself to his aviation business, René Hanriot abandons autoracing permanently for the flying. In the winter 1909- 1910, he buys several motors that he installs in his monoplanes. By now several copies and versions of the engine are available:
the V8 E. N. V., 50hp, 105kg, designed in 1908 by the British engineer Paul Rath
the four cylinder Vivinus, 70hp, 159kg
the Grégoire GYP by Pierre Joseph Grégoire, weighing 115kg,
the two cylinder Darracq , 30hp, 55 kg,
and a four cylinder of the Même Marque, 60hp, 130 kg.
But it is with the 4-cylinder Clément-Bayard of 40hp that the best results are obtained. The motor, cooled by water, weighs in at just 78kg, in working condition, and it develops not 40hp, as its competitors, but close to 50 true horses! With this motor the flights during the winter 1909-1910 are successful. The monoplane sometimes being piloted by the father, sometimes by the son.

With money earned racing automobiles, René Hanriot continues to develop his aviation business. Committed to flying, he opens a piloting school in Bétheny in December 1909, then in London in January 1910 where he opens a commercial affiliate The Hanriot Monoplane Company Ltd, with 600,000 Francs capital. The first year, 1910, he gains notoriety in Paris, at the 14, place du Havre, and creates at vast workshop in Paris at 34, rue du Moulin. Prudent, he recruits an experienced airman, Emile Ruchonnet, to develop his flying machines, and serve as engineer and chief pilot in his flight school. Former carpenter and former foreman with Levavasseur, Ruchonnet, who was registered in Reims, August 1909, in an Antoinette monoplane, has had is pilot’s license in France’s flying club since June 21, 1910. In April René Hanriot hires autoracer Louis Wagner as test pilot. He is in charge of representing the company at international meetings. His first competition is in Budapest June 5.

In a few months, Hanriot and Ruchonnet designed a new lighter monoplane, the type II. Baptized “Dragonfly” it flew at Bétheny in April, equipped with a 40hp
Clément-Bayard. Then, they create a third type of monoplane, more powerful, intended for the competitions. The type IV, a two place, interested the army.
The type V and type VI were used in 1910 by Marcel Hanriot in air meets. Finishing his school year, Marcel Hanriot spends his Sundays on the grass in Bétheny. His father asks him to try all monoplanes produced by their firm. May 17 in Bétheny, Marcel Hanriot takes engineer Etienne Grandjean, a professor at à l’Ecole supérieure de l’aéronautique, for a flight over Champangne in the two place.
June 9, Marcel Hanriot flies from Bétheny to Mourmelon in their model VI. It gets ahead of Marthe Niel, a woman, flying a slower Voisin biplane. The following day Marcel Hanriot obtains his pilot’s license, with the n° 95. He is the youngest licensed pilot in France and most likely in all of Europe. During the 1910 season, the Hanriot monoplanes, piloted by Wagner (Budapest), Marcel Hanriot (Rouen, Caen, Dijon, Reims, Bournemouth), René Vidart (Lanark) and several foreign pilots, achieve glory in the aerial meetings. They win a number of honors and have several victories, showing off the French brand to the entire world, and reaping great financial rewards for the firm.

June 5, 1910: meeting at Budapest
Aerial demonstrations are organized throughout the year from April to October, in the field at Budapest, but the summit of the 1910 season was the Grand Prix, from 5 May to 15 May1910 in Vienna, then the big week of aviation, June 5 to June 12, with prizes for flight time, distance traversed, altitude, and best take-off, plus a special prize for the trip (230 km traversed in six hours), with 200,000 Francs payoff.

Beginning 1910, thirty competitors were registered in Hungary. France engaged its habitual stables: with Voisin Rougier, Croquet, the Italian Baron of Caters, the Viscount Montigny and John Adorjan, with H. Farman Paulhan, Nicolas Kinet, Chavez, Efimoff and Jullerot, with Sommer André Frey, Hélène Dutrieu and Amerigo, Latham with Antoinette, Alfred of Pischoff (pardon, von Pischoff it was born Vienna Austria!). Orville Wright registered and entrusted a biplane to Engelhardt. Several pilots of the Austro-Hongrois Empire appear in local machines: Agoston Kutany, Erno of Horvath, Aladan of Zsekely. The day of the competition half of the registered competitors were missing. Dutrieu s’est abattue sur son Sommer to Odessa, and this is the Baroness of La Roche that defends the colors Voisin; she had access to a big ENV engine, as did Frey (Sommer) and Pischoff. The Austrian Illner (Etrich) and the French Wagner (Hanriot) had access to a 40hp Clément-Bayard (Clerget) engine. Kinet, Efimoff and Paulhan had access to Gnome engine with a remarkably effective propeller. The wind was blowing strong during the ten days of the competition and caused several spectacular accidents.
On June 7, Efimoff lost some pieces and crashed. Injured to the forehead and to the leg the French pilot was taken to hospital. On June 9, Latham breaks a wing strap (flying wire?) and crashed. His machine was pulverized but the Frenchman was miraculously unharmed.
Pris dans les remous de sillage d’Illner et Wagner, le Sommer de Frey est déstabilisé et tombe dans le public. The pilot is but one of six injured. Later in the evening, Bielovucic crashed but he was fortunately unhurt. The next day Illner’s airplane returned to service. Louis Wagner succeeded taking off in the evening but is forced to the ground by the wind. His machine is irreparable. Thus begins for Hanriot the 1910 season, and Marcel will outshine his father.

Old 3 October 2006, 03:44 PM   #6
John_F

Part 2

June 1910: big week at Rouen
The contest from June 19 to June 26 1910 following the big international meeting of Budapest on the hippodrome at Rouvray, the meeting of Rouen takes place in with 50,000 spectators, a dozen monoplanes, and as many biplanes with the classic competitions and prizes for speed, altitude, and flight time. The competition is will payout 200,000 Francs in prizes; a large sum for the era (a million Euros).
Marcel Hanriot begins the competition in a typical Hanriot VI with a 40 hp Clément-Bayard. The altitude prize (15,000 francs) is won by a 24 year old pilot that has just received his pilot’s license from the school Blériot de Pau a few weeks previous (April 19 1910 to be exact, with the license number 54) and already had his name added to the list of Saint-Pétersbourg in the preceding month of May. His name is Léon Morane, and he was flying a Blériot XI-2bis with a 50hp Gnome Omega rotary.
His (stable??) companion, Gilbert Cattanéo, won the speed competition (22,000 francs) at 9 km. Sharing in the distance Grand Prix (50,000 francs) and distance without stop (10,000 francs) Geo Chavez (Blériot), Hubert Latham (Antoinette), and the fastest speed to Emile Dubonnet (monoplane Tellier). The other pilots, Marcel Hanriot, Christiaens, Métrot, Van den Born, Dickson, Dufour, Summon, Efimoff, Bruneau, de Laborie, Bathiat, the Baroness de Laroche, Verstraeten, Spangles, Kullet, Audemars received substantial premiums. Hanriot took a first and a third prize. For a first
participation, this is encouraging!
June 23, Ferdinand 1st Tsar of Bulgaria, who had gone to Rouen to attend the aerial meeting, visits Paris and several machines are presented for him, one of which was the Hanriot monoplane.

July 8 1910: meeting at Reims
The second meeting at Reims unfolds itself from July 7 to July 13, earlier in the season than the first year.
The journalists note the appearance of the first Nieuport monoplane, and the visit of the president of the Republic, Armand Fallières. On July 9, an Antoinette monoplane with a 50hp motor, piloted by René Labouchère, beats the world record for distance at 340 kilometers, but this record is obliterated by Jan Olieslagers the following day, with a Blériot propelled by a 50 hp Gnome Oméga. The Belgian succeeds in fly on 392,700 [sic] kilometers. During the meet, Farman presents, for the first time, a monoplane, with a 50 hp Omega Farman biplane motor, and gives his baptism of the air to the writer Anatole France. In the ladies group, the Baroness de Laroche, with a Voisin powered Antoinette, confronts the feminine Belgian pilot Hélène Dutrieu on her Gnome powered H. Farman The first flies with enthusiasm, but she falls from a terrible height of 60 meters and breaks itself the members. The second flies cautiously; she will obtain her pilot’s license after the meet on August 23. Using a Blériot monoplane, equipped with a powerful 14 cylinder 100 hp engine, Léon Morane beats the Reims world speed record of 106,500 [sic] km/h. Latham makes several flights around the cathedral and wins the altitude record of the meet. It is also the new world record doubtlessly of more than 2 000 meters, but this record is not confirmed by the France flying club as more than 1 384 meters, its commissioneies left to estimate "seeing" of such altitudes without the assistance of proper equipment. Latham obliterates Brookins record in a Wright, 1 335 meters, established to Indianapolis June 14. The pilot of the Wright will resume his record on July 10 in Atlantic City, with 1 900 meters of altitude.

July 1910: meeting of Bournemouth
The meeting at Bournemouth unfolds itself in England from July 16 to July 19 1910. It is fatal to Charles Rolls, 33 years, the famous creator of the cars rolls-royce, while piloting a machine of his conception. Totally dominated by the French pilots, the contests are more classics: lasted, altitude, speed. Marcel Hanriot takes only places of honor with his 40 hp equipped monoplane.

July 1910: meeting at Caen
The meeting at Caen unfolds from July 27 to August 2 1910. This time the journalists dub Marcel Hanriot, "the youngest airman in France". The other monoplanes are piloted by Léon Morane (Blériot), Aubrun (Blériot), Labouchère (Antoinette) and de Chauveau (Antoinette). Four military airmen are invited: the lieutenants Camermann (Farman biplane), Acquaviva (Blériot monoplane) and Maillols (Wright biplane), as well as the under lieutenant Gronier (Farman biplane). Léon Morane in his 14 cylinder, 100hp Gnome equipped Blériot XI-2bis is irreproachable in the speed contest. As in Rouen, as in Reims, and as in the meeting of Bournemouth in Great Britain, it wins all the prizes: speed, height, and even cross (traverses injured). The competitors of Gnome worry: the 100hp rotary to 14 cylinders seems now invincible in the speed races.
This the reason René Hanriot asks Clément-Bayard for a 100hp engine. During the summer of 1910 Clerget creates a four cylinder with such power, the 4W, weighing 155 kg. This motor will equip the Hanriot monoplanes during the 1911 and 1912 seasons.

August 9 1910: meeting of Lanark
The meeting at Lanark in Scotland is dominated by the machines of the French pilots. Present are Chavez, Cattaneo, Blondeau, all on Blériot monoplanes and René Vidart, who flies a 40hp Hanriot monoplane.

In the altitude competition, the Peruvian courant with a French license, Georges Chavez (Blériot with a Gnome motor) with 1,575 meters gets ahead of Armstrong Drexel (Blériot) 1,283m and Cattaneo (Blériot), 972m. The British pilot Grace (H. Farman) and René Vidart (Hanriot, with 290 meters) are left behind. In the flight duration competition, the British Radley (Blériot with Gnome motor) gets ahead of his compatriot Dickson (H. Farman). In distance, Cattaneo (Blériot with Gnome motor) precedes Drexel (Blériot). In speed, Radley comes in 1st (Blériot with Gnome motor) beating Cattaneo. Briefly, Blériot and Gnome dominate.

September 1910: meeting of Dijon
Eight airmen participate in the September 22 to September 25 to the meet at Dijon organized by a collective Bourguignon on the airfield at Maladière. Victor Rigal (biplane Sommer) crashes first day, injures himself and destroys his machine. It fixed prize, just like René Simon, world record holder, that destroys his airplane. Disappointed because he is unable to participate, the airman gives up in Dijon and goes to the meeting of Milan with a new machine. Classical, speed, duration, and altitude competitions, the contests are participated in by only six airmen: Renaux, Martinet, Barrier, Marcel Hanriot, who
pilots his typical 40hp Clerget powered monoplane, Mouthiers, and Marthe Niel who has just received his pilot’s license. The young Hanriot sweeps the majority of the prizes, 18,500 francs. He has a flight of 21 minutes and 25 seconds, attains the altitude
of 290 meters and beats the speed record on five kilometers, winning the Pernot trophy "De clocher en clocher " on the journey to Dijon – Talant-Fontaine. General conqueror, Eugène Renaux pockets 16,800 francs. Finishing the 1910 season in style as it had begun in Dijon, Marcel Hanriot wins the aviation Grand Prix of Beaune (côted’or) September 28 and the aerial Grand Prix of Cognac (Charentes), October 9 1910.

The 1911 Season
After a very satisfactory season in 1910, from the viewpoint of the results, the Hanriot monoplanes sell themselves well. More than hundred machines are bought in France and in Great Britain. The schools in Reims and Brooklands are popular and the 1911 season will be even better. The famous engineer Gordon England, father of the first Bristol designs, learns to fly in a Hanriot monoplane in Brooklands, at the end of 1910. The typical monoplane II "Dragonfly" again shows its beautiful qualities.
November 20 1911, the airman Campo de Scipio wins the competition of Tachkent, in central Asia. The 100hp Clément-Bayard is tried as early as October 1910 and it shows itself as both tough and powerful. Several pilots in Hanriot machines shine in the European meetings, as does Gaston Dubreuil, the associate of René Hanriot. The technical staff is completely renewed: new engineer, new pilots. Wagner left. Joseph Garbero is named chief pilot of the newly created Hanriot school in Antibes. Marcel resumed his studies in Chalons.

Hanriot invests much in research and is able to divide the investments between flight schools, machines, marketing, and training. This works well as the engineer Henri-Hubert Pagny leaves Nieuport and begins working with Hanriot in 1911. The firm becomes the Société anonyme des Appareils d’Aviation Hanriot et Pagny. There is a new, very coveted market for requests made by the military for new machines that are sturdier, more maneuverable and able to takeoff and land with a two crew man and load of equipments. To the military competition organized at Reims in October 1911, Hanriot presents several variants of his monoplane: the two place with 40 hp, a three place propelled by the 100 hp Clément-Bayard, and a third machine, sporting a 200hp Clément-Bayard Clerget.

Old 3 October 2006, 03:45 PM   #7
John_F

Part 3

The military competition of Reims 1911
In 1910, the first maneuvers carried out at Chalons using airplanes showed that they are not adapted to a military role. These are machines conceived for sport and leisure and no to accomplish war missions. For this reason General Roques, the person in charge of military aviation, and the colonel Hirschauer, the person in charge of Army Aeronautical Technical Services, organize the meeting at Reims in 1911 as an important military competition, destined to select the machines able to complete at least minimal performance in missions. This competition is the first aerial meeting organized by the army in France. The military officers imposed rules that the machines are completely constructed in France (including the engine), are able to traverse without stop a circuit of 300 km with 300 kg of load at a speed of more than 60 km/h. The regulation stipulates that every machine must include three seats. The will have to take off and land without the use of a track laid out in the grass. Additionally, it will have to be collapsible so as to be stored easily by the army, transported by road or railroad, and simple to reassemble. An lone mechanic must be able to start up the motor.

This competition was organized for five weeks from October to November 1911 in Reims. Important prizes are offered by the army: first prize receives 100,000 francs, and an order for ten airplanes for a price of 40,000 francs each, with 500 francs for each kilometer per hour above 60 km/h average speed, and 700,000 francs for an average speed of 100 km/h. The aerial meeting was one as never before seen with seventy-one airplanes presented by thirty-two builders: Blériot, Breguet, Clément-Bayard who
presented a machine with two wings in tandem propelled by the 200 hp Clerget, Deperdussin, Henry Farman, Maurice Farman, Hanriot, Lioré and Olivier, Morane- Saulnier, Nieuport, Savary, Summon, REP.

The 100 hp 4 cylinder Clément-Bayard installed for the first time in a Deperdussin monoplane and in the two Hanriot monoplanes. The prototype of the Gnome Doubles Gamma to doubles star 14 cylinders of 140hp appears for the first time on a Breguet biplane piloted by Moine. Many of the machines use a 70 hp Gnome Gamma. All the French motor manufacturers are present: Anzani, District unné, Clément-Bayard, Gnome, Grégoire-GYP, Renault.

More than half of the machines presented are eliminated, being incapable of take off with three passengers, or having mechanical failure. Numerous accidents occur and several pilots die. Only thirty-two machines are admitted November 26 1911 to compete in the 300 km race between Reims and Amiens. Only eight succeed in achieving an average speed of 60 km/h. The slowest took almost eight hours to complete the journey. The Clément-Bayard powered Hanriot is disappointing; the well built airplane and its brilliant motor could not compete. Foch concludes: "The airplanes are done for the sport, they do not be worth nothing for the war".

The year 1912
Disappointed by the results of the military competition Hanriot restructures itself looking towards exportation. It abandons the Clément-Bayard to the benefit of Gnome. May 10 1912, it creates a new corporation in England, Hanriot Ltd, and establishes offices in London. Three totally new Hanriot machines are designed and build by the firm Hewlett & Blondeau. In June, Hanriot presents Great Britain with a machine of completely different design from their earlier ones, a multiplane with four wings, propelled by a 200hp motor. The machine is seriously damaged during testing and this costly attempt puts an end to its exportation hopes. At the second military competition in August, it presents its new two place designs, propelled by the 100hp Gnome. Pilot John Bielovucic wins the speed prize in one of them. The Parisian house prepared a hydro for the April races in Monaco. The new machine, not ready for the race, represents their last
investment. This bad fortune puts the Hanriot corporation in bankruptcy. She is purchased by Alfred Ponnier, an wealthy fan of the typical Hanriot race monoplane "Dragonfly". Marcel Hanriot is called by the army (the length of the obligatory military service is of three years), in 1912. He becomes a military pilot at 18 years of age, in June. After the summer of 1912, Hanriot father and sons retrain in the sale of the automobiles in Grégoire, France, while Alfred Pagny, Hanriot’s assistant begins the study of new machines in the design offices in Paris, keeping the Hanriot name.

The surprise of 1913
Between the summers of 1912 and 1913, the sales are reduced to only a few units. While the Hanriot firm seemed lost, an unexpected event puts back it in the saddles. September 29, 1913, the Hanriot-Ponnier D-III monoplane piloted by Emile Védrines (the brother of the pilot Julius Védrines), comes in second in the very publicized Gordon-Bennett race, with an average speed of 197km/h.

Becoming the Société de Construction de Machines pour la Navigation Aérienne (CMNA) – the Hanriot company loses its status as an aeronautical builder - the factory Ponnier of Reims produces several types of airplanes before the war, the Hanriot- Ponnier D-V biplane, then another biplane of bigger capacity, the Hanriot-Ponnier D-VIII.
The war orders boom when war begins in August 1914. The factories of Ponnier and the CMNA in Reims (formerly Hanriot) are taken by the Germans. René Hanriot
creates a new aviation factory in Levallois, on rue du Bois (currently John Jaurès street) where Aéroplanes Hanriot et Cie is founded and produces the Sopwith Strutter in 1916, subcontracting for Lioré et Olivier. In 1915, it secures the services of an excellent engineer, Pierre Dupont.
In 1916, the Hanriot-Dupont HD-1 is adopted by Belgium and Italy. 1,200 are constructed. At the end of the year, Hanriot opens a second factory at 84 rue des Moulineaux à Boulogne-Billancourt where 2 000 workers are employed during 1917. In 1917 the Hanriot-Dupont HD-2, then fighter biplane Hanriot-Dupont HD-3 that flies at 210 km/h thanks to its 250hp Salmson engine. At the end of 1917, the Hanriot firm produced more than 5 000 airplanes. After the war the Hanriot company moves to 190-196 boulevard Bineau in Paris. In 1919, a
flying school is opened at Mourmelon-le-Grand, directed by Maurice Chevillard. Hanriot creates a school of aeronautical mechanics in Courbevoie. In 1924, the Hanriot Corporation emigrates to Carrières-sur-Seine. René Hanriot dies suddenly November 7 1925. Marcel (is only 31) and his two brothers-in-law bring a third, Outhenin Chalandre, to the business as director of the factory and of papeteries. In 1937, the Hanriot firm will merge with Farman and become Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du
Centre (SNCAC), of which Marcel Hanriot will be the one of the directors. Marcel Hanriot died in Nice, March 31, 1961.

Old 3 October 2006, 03:55 PM   #8
EricGoedkoop
Forum Ace

Wow!

That's great, John. I ran it through Babel Fish, but your version is a helluva lot more coherent.

Thanks!
Old 16 October 2006, 10:24 AM   #9
jempie
Forum Ace

Clémen-Bayard motors 1910

Hi!

I have a catalogue from the Clément-Bayard factory June 1910!

Here the Clément-Bayard motorpage out of it

30 HP one used for more into the Demoiselle n° 20 (or 21?) from Santos Dumont.. S-D allowed everyone to use his concept of the S-D n°19!
So a number of factories constructed it with own motors!

This C-B 30HP motor was so bit identical as the Darracq motor!

VBR

Jempie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 30 HP motor.jpg (17.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 16 October 2006, 10:29 AM   #10
jempie
Forum Ace

Clément-Bayard motor 40 HP

Hello!

Here the page on the 40 HP motor...

There is also a 70 Hp, 105 Hp,130 HP, 180Hp and 220 HP one in it
Lotors for planes and airships....!

vbr

Jempie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 40 HP motor.jpg (18.5 KB, 40 views)
Closed Thread