The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 6 November 2006, 12:35 AM   #1
Pips
Forum Ace

Aces Periodic Scores

Invariably when talk turns to the scores of aces it almost always relates to their cumulative scores. I actually find it far more interesting to look at the relative scores at any one particular point in time. Gives a better indication (I believe) of who were the real killers over the Front at any point in time.

For example in September 1916 Boelcke had 19, Ball 18, Wintgens 16, Guynemer 14, Navarre 12, Dallas 5. By January 1917 the standings were Boelcke 40, Ball 31, Guynemer 25, Nungesser 21, Dorme 18 and Richthofen 16. Come June 1917 Richthofen had 52, Ball 44, Guynemer 43, Alemenroeder 24 and Bishop 23.

But information of this sort is very hard to come by. Does anyone know of any tables that cater to this?
Sponsored Links
Old 8 November 2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Pips
Forum Ace

Hmm, well, I guess not. Might have to try and put something together myself.
Old 8 November 2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

Cobby- I agree with you. I do not know how Norman Franks' and others' databases work. It should be possible to build a relational database which would allow you to pull the data out any way you want. This could be by date, unit, person, etc and arrange it to suit. The problem comes if all the data cannot be entered by an automatic data processor and has to be fat fingered.

I have a WW-I German newspaper article which shows the German scores as of July 1918, I think, and it is amazing to see how far down the list Udet and Lowenhardt are. The BMW powered D.VIIs really boosted their scores in a hurry.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Old 9 November 2006, 02:20 AM   #4
wingedwarrior

Hi Cobby,

Maybe not exactly what you desire, but there is a run-down of the highest scoring German pilots by each month of the war in Above the Lines. The list is included in the appendix.

It may be a good start for you.....

regards,

Darren

Old 9 November 2006, 03:43 AM   #5
rammjaeger
Forum Ace of Aces

The Frenchmen published repeatedly monthly scores of the leading French and German pilots in "La Guerre Aerienne". Nevertheless I am afraid you must search the fitting numbers for the major players by your own.

I share your approach in this matter. It makes no sense to compare the scores of two "40 victory aces" who are meeting in combat if one is at the beginning of his career and the other at the end.

Nevertheless there is still one problem left: Different countries - different rules!
As well I really dislike the inflation of "aces" caused by the 5 victory-scale for aces and OOC and shared victories.
Closed Thread