The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 15 December 2006, 12:10 AM   #1
kenbell1053
Observer

Question 28th Aero Squadron 3rd Persuit

I am a member of VFW Lt. Kenneth Bell Post 1053. Lt Kenneth Bell was a member of the 28th Aero Squadron and was killed in action on September 27th 1918. He was involved in a mid air collision with Lt. Buckley another member of the 28th. They were in a operation to take out some of the Hun's balloons during the battle of St. Mihiel. The newspaper account that I have does not list Lt. Buckley's first name. I am also trying to locate a picture of a Spad XIII with the 28th Aero Squadron markings one of which Lt. Bell flew. I am new to posting on sites like this, so please bare with me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 15 December 2006, 05:59 AM   #2
ONEALM
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

My Gallery
The Man

The Man you need to contact is; Bob Kazprzak. Bob is the current Pres of the Over the Front chapter in Dayton and has been working on an exhaustive history of the 28th Aero fro quite a while. I'm sure he would be able to help.

Bob's email is: [email protected]

Tell him Mike O'Neal sent you....

Join the League of World War One Aviation Historians - and receive 4 issues of "Over the Front".

Visit us at :
http://overthefront.com/

And be sure to visit -
Visit
www.goldenageair.org

Last edited by ONEALM; 15 December 2006 at 06:00 AM. Reason: email address change
Old 15 December 2006, 06:05 AM   #3
retread
Forum Ace

If you cannot get an exact answer here, you may want to contact the University of Texas Library. George H. Williams Collection- Gorrel History of the American Expeditionary Force 1917-1918 Air Service.
Evidently it contains a history of the 28th.

http://www.utdallas.edu/library/
"In the final analysis, war is far more than an extension of politics. It is the most complex, demanding, and unpredictable of all human endeavors - as learned from 1914 to 1918." - from (with slight alteration) the introduction of "Pyrrhic Victory" by Robert A. Doughty (US Army Ret.).

"Frankly, I had enjoyed the war." Adrian Carton de Wiart

Last edited by retread; 15 December 2006 at 06:18 AM.
Old 15 December 2006, 08:47 AM   #4
TomVrille
Forum Ace

According to Wings of Honor, Lt. John H. Buckley, 28th Pursuit Squadron, was killed in a crash on 27 September 1918.
"A surprise attack is much more demoralising than any other form, and generally results in the person attacked diving or pulling the machine into such a position that it forms a most satisfactory target for the few seconds necessary to deliver a decisive blow. " - R. S. Dallas
Old 15 December 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

Ken- Welcome to the Forum. I have a 3rd Pursuit Group album put together by Hugh Wynne, mostly with photos of the 103rd, but some on the 28th. Will look and see if there are any 28th A.S. Spad photos in it and I can send you scans if there are. Send me a private message with an e-mail address. May take a while so be patient.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Old 15 December 2006, 12:35 PM   #6
kenbell1053
Observer

I would like to thank you for the information I have gained. Thanks for supplying Lt. Buckley's first name, you would think the newspaper would have had that. But since the newspaper account came from letters sent home and it took almost a month to arrive I guess it is understandable.
Old 15 December 2006, 08:26 PM   #7
Cliff
Forum Ace

28th AERO

I don't have any pics of Bell's aircraft but he and Cline flew SPAD S7503. Info from the Gorrell report.

Cliff
Old 15 December 2006, 10:19 PM   #8
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

Cliff- Thanks. Will give me a tail number for the album search.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Old 17 December 2006, 03:58 AM   #9
ONEALM
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

My Gallery
One more piece

KenBell -

HQ of the 1st Pursuit Wing (not 1st PG) - reported on 27 Sept:

Lieutenants Bell and Buckley, 28th Aero Squadron, 3rd Pursuit Group were killed in a collission about 2 miles west of the Group Airdrome while a ptrol was forming in the midst of low clouds.

The weather report from the same office was Heavy rain in the morning, low clouds all day.

Keep at it,
Mike

Join the League of World War One Aviation Historians - and receive 4 issues of "Over the Front".

Visit us at :

And be sure to visit -
Visit
www.goldenageair.org
Old 17 December 2006, 04:10 AM   #10
ONEALM
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

My Gallery
From C&C US V12/4

More on the acccident -

27 September
From 13.05 to 14.50 - 8 planes....Patrol Leader Lt. Merrick. Pilots: Lts. Bell, Buchannan, Liles, Stenseth, Meyer, Csaady, Hardy, Buckley. As the patrol was being formed at 3000 meters over the hospital two miles west of the airdrome, Lts. Buckely and Bell collided. From the statements of Lts. Merrick and Meyer the patrol was making left hand circles over the hospital while waiting for Lts. Lisle and Stenseth also to get into good formation before corssing the lines. Lts. Bell and Buckley were see to be going head on towards each other on the same level, then both machines were seen to dive, one making a turn to avoid the other. The left wing of one struck the left wing of the other and both wings were torn off the planes. Immediately both planes fell into a vrille. Upon striking the ground both planes burned and Lt.s Buckley and Bell were killed instantly. After the accident all planes returned to the airdrome with the exception of Lts. Stenseth and Lisles , who joined the patrol of the 213th Sqn.

According to Aeorodrome Modeller Vol 3/4 Buckley's airplane was SXIII S.7644 "24" - not sure if this was the airplane he was flying that afternoon though.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Visit us at :

And be sure to visit -
Visit
www.goldenageair.org
Closed Thread