The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Other WWI Aviation

Other WWI Aviation Airfields, equipment, tactics, training, uniforms and all other WWI aviation topics

Closed Thread

Old 24 July 2002, 04:20 PM   #1
Andrew_Smith

G'day all,

I have in front of me a copy of Flight Lt E.F. Monk's Certificate for Wounds and Hurts. He was injured when the airship he was piloting S.S.42 crashed.

Does anyone know if these certificates were common, was it for all accidents that caused injury or were they needed to claim compensation? Were they the exclusive domain of the Royal Navy?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.

Old 25 July 2002, 02:32 AM   #2
NeilE
Forum Ace

Hi Andrew;

i have seen what I suppose are similar certificates for wounded infantry men. The ones I have seen are quite elaborate and filled with victorian and imperial symbolism. They recorded that Private X was wounded on such and such date and had earned the gratitude of a grateful empire. I am unsure as to when and by who these were issued by. I know of one which never seems to sell in an antique shop in Melbourne. Next time I go there I'll ask for a closer look.

I find these certificates quite poignant looking at them now in that in some cases they were all the recognition our wounded servicemen ever got.

HTH

All the Best

Neil
Old 25 July 2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Andrew_Smith

G'day Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Flt Lt Monk's certificate is also an elaborate form. It seems to be tied in with payment of compensation somehow though. On the form it has his name, rank and posting. It then states what service he was in, and in this case it was patroling the British Channel in H.M. Airship S.S.42.

It then carries on to a report of the accident, if the injured person was sober at the time and what type of injury was sustained.

It gives a physical description of the injured person, and in this case right down to his tattoo.

It is signed by the Surgeon General of the RN.

At the bottom written in pen is "Compensation awarded 18th April 1918" You would not want to be holding your breath waiting on payment as this particular accident happened on September 15th 1916.

Andrew.

Old 31 August 2002, 07:12 AM   #4
jonathon
Observer

[gloIw=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]I have my fathers Casualty form,somewhat mutilated which states in the particularsdate of posting to No 32 Squadron then 19/11/17 admitted G.& .W. Thigh.R. then on 21/11/17 Admitted with same lettering except with an "s" tagged on then on 24/11/17 to England per H.St.Denis perhaps you could advise what this lettering means.
Old 1 September 2002, 02:07 AM   #5
Andrew_Smith

Quote:
[gloIw=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]I have my fathers Casualty form,somewhat mutilated which states in the particularsdate of posting to No 32 Squadron then 19/11/17 admitted *G.& .W. Thigh.R. then on 21/11/17 Admitted with *same lettering except with an "s" tagged on then on 24/11/17 to England per H.St.Denis perhaps you could advise what this lettering means.
G'day Jonathon,

I am not an expert in this field, but I would guess that G & W is actually G.S.W. for gunshot wound in the right thigh.

Andrew.

PS Nice to see another Aussie on the site.

Old 1 September 2002, 06:29 AM   #6
NeilE
Forum Ace

Hi Andrew;

The return of this thread reminds me that I did go and check out the certificate in the Antique shop I mentioned earlier. This one was was for an infantryman of the AIF named Bailey (can't remember the initials). It certified that he received wounds in 1917 and was discharged late in 1917 (I should have written down the details). The certificate itself's main image consisted of a AIF infantryman at attention before a figure likely to be Brittania (but looking suspiciously like Queen Victoria) who is flanked by lions, British flags, and other imperial imagery.

A couple of steps below the infantryman figure are the figures at attention of another infantryman and a sailor in dress uniform. (no airman of course).

The certificate is signed but it is difficult to make out who by as it is somewhat faded and is also framed. the signature is dated late in 1917.

The whole thing is quite large and is about A3 size.

Next time I go there I'll check it out again and get his intitials and check him against the AWM AIF list.

Thinking about it, would this rather be a discharge certificate rather than a Certificate of Wounds and Hurts?

All the Best

Neil
Old 4 September 2002, 05:41 AM   #7
Michael
Forum Ace

The wounds and hurts cert. was Royal Navy, and was meant to document claims for pensions.

The other certificate, as I understand, was issued to soldiers who were discharged as a result of wounds. I have ones issued to Canadians in the 15th Bn., Canadian Army Service Corps, and Royal Canadian Dragoons. I suspect that it was a form used by all the British Empire units. There is a Militia and Defence stamp on the reverse of one (the others are framed, and I haven't taken them apart) with a written-in number, which I suspect is the number that appears on the silver "Services Rendered" badges given to discharged servicemen.
Mort pour la France en combat aérien.
Old 4 September 2002, 02:34 PM   #8
Andrew_Smith

Quote:
The wounds and hurts cert. was Royal Navy, and was meant to document claims for pensions.
G'day Michael,

Thanks for the info, I only have one question regarding the above quote, and it directly relates back to Errol Monk.

He did not get discharged after the accident, he spent a short time in Australia and then headed back to the U.K., where he eventually became C.O. of Pembroke Airship Station.

So my question is did they also receive this certificate to recover out of pocket expenses?

On Monk's certificate it has "compensation awarded" and then the date.

Regards,

Andrew.

Old 4 September 2002, 06:38 PM   #9
Michael
Forum Ace

From what I can see based on the wording of the certificate (there are a couple on the web) discharge wasn't required. Compensation would only be payed if the man was injured in the course of service, as opposed to barroom brawls, etc. The certiifcate was proof that the circumstances had been examined and the claim either accepted or rejected based on the service test.
Mort pour la France en combat aérien.
Closed Thread