Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Subscribe to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage and Markings

Camouflage and Markings Topics related to the camouflage and markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
JohnFitz
Forum Ace

aluminum bronze?

Hi Guys, Can anyone give me an idea as to what this color looked like? Some say silver but I think it would be more of a metallic, brown-ish color. The Czech description is; "hlinikovym bronzen". Thanks to all for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Old 29 June 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
FOKKERJ
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

John Fitz Quote:aluminum bronze?

Hi Guys, Can anyone give me an idea as to what this color looked like? Some say silver but I think it would be more of a metallic, brown-ish color. The Czech description is; "hlinikovym bronzen". Thanks to all for your comments.

Hi John Fitz,
I have probably worked with it or some variation. I would have to say that the color depends on the percentage of the contents. Most alloys are altered by varying the amounts of the ingredients, usually to take advantage of one mineral's properties for the desired results.
Aluminum Bronze should have aluminum as it's main ingredient since it is listed first. Remember that I am not, nor profess to be a metalurgist!
Hope that's a help, FOKKERJ P.S. If you are just doing research for portrait or modelling, don't go to heavy with the bronze color! As for aluminum, is it cast, extruded, machined, and or polished? The color, texture, value, etc. can vary greatly. With out any color added it can run the gamut from dull Grey to shiny Silver in appearance.

Last edited by FOKKERJ; 29 June 2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: What is this information's intended use?
Old 29 June 2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Sreiko
Forum Ace

My Gallery
FS595b color 17178 is exact match.
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Email: [email protected]
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 30 June 2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Hans
Forum Ace

If this 'aluminium bronze' does came from a german source, it just mean that this is a aluminium pigmented paint / dope, what ever. It has nothing to do with bronze as a copper based alloy. For unknown reasons the german paint industry still calls metal pigmented paints/dopes in general 'Bronzen'. Maybe as all 'golden' pigments are based on copper alloys and 'silver' shades came later, I have no idea. German paint designation are sometime very confusing as they are using often 'traditional' names for paints which have nothing to do with the real components or they are using brand names as generic designations - a habit which makes 'paint research' not easy at all.

H.
Old 30 June 2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Pfalz-Scout
Two-seater Pilot

[QUOTE=Hans;332409]If this 'aluminium bronze' does came from a german source,.......

Hi Hans,

Your description sounds more like Silber Bronze. This is a silky luster metallic effect varnish for inside and outside. Highly heat-resistant (to 350 C) and weatherproofly. For the coating of stove flues, steam heating systems, silos and iron constructions.

Aluminium Bronze is an Alloy. Refer the explanation by wikipedia. Link: Aluminium bronze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards
Pfalz-Scout
Old 30 June 2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Hans
Forum Ace

Pfalz-Scout, I am fully aware that there is an alloy with this name. But what is JohnFitz looking for? The hue of this alloy? Or what kind of paint, when so called, this could be? Silberbronze is not used with this designation on a/c's. Technically it does not contain silver. It is made from aluminium pigment. And there a various uses where these aluminium 'paints' are used.

H.
Old 1 July 2007, 06:46 AM   #7
JohnFitz
Forum Ace

aluminum bronze

Guy's, thanks for all of your input. It is the final hue of color that I am trying to get right. It is probably true that it was much like silver but more towards grey. Just depended on the amount of "bronze" added. This would explain the contrast in color between the un-painted aluminum cowl and the under surface of the wing in the photo I posted. Cheers!
Closed Thread