The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Reading Room > Newspaper Articles

Newspaper Articles Relevant articles and items of interest from the newspapers of the past.

Closed Article

Article Tools Display Modes
"Ace of Aces," a Canadian, Has 100 Planes to His Credit
The San Antonio Light - Sunday, January 26, 1919
Published by Scott
20 July 2007

"Ace of Aces," a Canadian, Has 100 Hun Planes to His Credit

Col. William A. Bishop, Who Has Been Decorated With All the Medals Awardable to War Aviators, Became Flier Because He "Hated Mud."
Col. W. A. Bishop of Owen Sound, Canada, the ace of aces of the allies' air forces, is in New York. This wonderful little man of 24 years of age is credited officially with 74 enemy planes and more than 100 unofficially.
He has been awarded all the medals awardable to war aviators, which are The Victoria Cross, the Distinguished Service Medal with bar, Military Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the special medal of the British air fleet committee, the Legion of Honor, the Croix de Guerre with palm, the Gold Medal of the Aero Club of France, Order of Leopold (Belgium), Croix de Guerre (Belgium), and the special war medal of the Aero Club of America.
The colonel has been in more than 260 air battles and has been shot down four times. On May 10, 1916, he was shot down near Bailleal, and received a broken leg, which put him out of the service for four months. On another occasion he was brought down with his machine in flames and during the engagement four shots passed through his coat.

Got Sick of Trench Mud.
Prior to the war the colonel was a cadet in the Royal Military College of Canada. At the outbreak of hostilities he went overseas with a regiment of Canadian cavalry. At his own request he was transferred to the air because he got sick of the mud. After a short period of training he was sent to do night flying over London looking for "Zeps," but as the Germans were not in a "strafing" mood at that time they did not visit London; consequently the night flying soon palled on him and he was sent to the front.
Here things broke fast for the embryo flier, and he was shot down shortly after his arrival. "It looked at first," he said, "as if they had my number, but fortunately they must have lost it. I just kept right on going up, and in a short time I had quite a number of enemy planes to my credit. Of course, later on the Germans were of great assistance to me, and I was very thankful for the same."
"How were the Germans of assistance to you?"

Germans "Looked Him Up."
"Well," he continued, "my record soon got to annoy the Germans very much. And as I drove a peculiar marked machine they had no difficulty in recognizing it. They put a price on my head, and consequently every German flier was looking for me. That saved me the trouble in looking for them, and we soon got together whenever I took to the air."
The colonel spoke with considerable feeling concerning the sportsmanlike qualities of the late Captain Boelke [sic] and Captain Immelmann, both of whom he engaged in the air. "They were both very, very fine fliers, and were regarded by our boys as very alert and ingenious, and capable of making the most of any situation. I shall never forget the fight I had with poor Boelke. It certainly was the hottest fight that I was ever in while it lasted. I believe that I winged him, but he was able to make his way back to safety. For some time afterward we were unable to see him, and this strengthens my belief that I winged. He was an admirable fellow and a good fighter."
Colonel Bishop had in his squadron three Americans, of whom he says: "They did themselves proud, I tell you. They were Elliott Spring [sic], of New York, who got fifteen machines; Mack Grider, who was killed, and Larry Callahan of Chicago, who downed ten Boches."

Last Day Not So Bad, Either
Colonel Bishop was unable to say which was the most exciting day he spent in the air, but admits that the last day was a "bully one."
"It was like this," he continued. "The day that I was leaving France for England I determined to attempt to bring down one more German airman before my train left at noon. I took to the air at 9:40 and fifteen minutes later I met five German machines and on German two-seater, just east of Ploegsteert, Flanders. I shot down two scouts and so successfully chased two others that their pilots lost their heads and crashed their machines into each other, collapsing in midair. I then attacked the German two-seater, shooting it down in flames, despite the attempt of the fifth scout machine to interfere. I chased the last German machine, but it got away. I returned to the airdrome in time for luncheon and to catch my train. That was my last day in the air in France."
Colonel Bishop has been retired and has become a lecturer.

The San Antonio Light - Sunday, January 26, 1919

Closed Article