Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 15 October 2007, 09:28 PM   #1
ProfLooney
Forum Ace

Rolland DVI Scheme

hey anyone come across any websites or anything that shows any Rolland DVI schemes. I have the windsock for it but it only shows like 1 or 2

thanks
Joe

In Progress 1/2 scale Fokker DVII
Sponsored Links
Old 15 October 2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Harry Tate
Observer

Roland D.VI

According to the Frontbestand Tables -the inventory of fighters at the front-
There were 38 D.VIa's on-strength in June, 58 in August (inventories for Oct-Nov. was apparently not taken), 17 D.VIb's in June, 12 in August. So it's not a very common airplane to begin with, and when you consider the state of German forces that late in the war, it's remarkable that we have even the photos in the Datafile. I would guess that the vast majority were rushed into combat with factory schemes. Most of the personalzed insignia that I've seen for this aircraft consisted of simple black-only or black-and-white devices (conjectural). I'd be interested in this subject myself, if some new variations are uncovered.

-H.T.

Old 15 October 2007, 10:32 PM   #3
ProfLooney
Forum Ace

thanks

I have the replicraft drawings of this I am cadding for a set of model plans one day (ie goofing around til my bristol or gotha materials arrive) the one i saw in the windsock looks like a castle on the side of it. what got me so interested in doing a model of it is the overlapped planking of ply it had on the fuse. really different plus as you stated an uncommon plane and thats the fun of modelling for me doing the stuff other people usually dont do. I mean you can only see so many fokkers spads or sopwiths and say yea yea looks like the thousands of others out there.

Old 15 October 2007, 10:39 PM   #4
ProfLooney
Forum Ace

2000th rolland

heres one thats the 2000th rolland aircraft off the line of all their plane types

Old 15 October 2007, 10:44 PM   #5
ProfLooney
Forum Ace

scheme

and the only other schemes i really found are these

Old 15 October 2007, 11:46 PM   #6
FOKKERJ
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi ProfLooney and Harry Tate,

Great stuff, thanks for sharing the information and the Roland DVIb color schemes. Also the great fotograf.

Regards, FOKKERJ
Old 16 October 2007, 12:00 AM   #7
ProfLooney
Forum Ace

rolland

yes there are a few pics of different planes in the windsock book looks like they were ordered in lots of 50 according to windsock

and check this out this is the rolland v prototype look at its fuse marking it is the 1000th plane off the line

Old 17 October 2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Roland D.VIa & D.VIb.

Gentlemen:
The Rol.D.VIa machines were covered with four color printed fabric, with natural linen woven rib tapes. The fuselage, fins and interplane struts were shellacked and varnished. The cowlings, cabane, under-carriage struts, louvers, access doors, fittings and were foot step were painted grey-green.
The first orderof the Rol.D.VIb in August 1918 were covered with five color fabric with matching cut strips for rib tapes. The rest of the machine was finished like the
Rol. D.VIa.
On the two September 1918 orders for the Rol.D.VIb, the fuselage was camouflaged in from the nose in lilac, natural varnish, light olive green and prussian blue on the rear fuselage and fins. The cowlings, all metal panels, doors foot step, under carriage, axle fairing abd cabane struts were dark olive green.
Kiger copied my set of drawing (and not well). He did no research whatsoever. Just pirated my set of drawings.
in 1/5 scale presumably to build a RC model. I did not agree to their sale at no time.
Blue skies,
Dan-San
Old 17 October 2007, 06:32 PM   #9
ProfLooney
Forum Ace

rolland

Thanks Dan I appreciate the info on the schemes. for the record I do not know if jim sells these I got them from a late modellers estate sale but they say replicraft on them. and yes they seem lacking and really bad copy thats why I am cadding them for my model as they are pretty bad shape. I having figured which of the versions I will do but probably do a shellaced version as I love the bare wood looks of the plane. do you know by chance what type of ply was used was it oak ply on the outside?.

joe

Old 17 October 2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Harry Tate
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_San_Abbott View Post
On the two September 1918 orders for the Rol.D.VIb, the fuselage was camouflaged in from the nose in lilac, natural varnish, light olive green and prussian blue on the rear fuselage and fins. The cowlings, all metal panels, doors foot step, under carriage, axle fairing abd cabane struts were dark olive green.
Sir, do you have or know of any photographs of the D.VI in this scheme? I am planning to build it in 1/72 scale soon and your mention of this scheme intrigues me. Alternatively, an artist's rendition or profile?

BTW, I am thoroughly enjoying "Schlacht-Flieger!" Well-done and thank you.

-H.T.

Closed Thread