The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Memorabilia

Memorabilia WWI aviation artifacts, parts, autographs, Sanke cards, manuals, photos, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25 November 2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Erxs17

Collector Books

I'm looking to give my boyfriend an antique aviation book for christmas. I ran across some copies of "Pilot's Luck" illustrated by Clayton Knight. I was wondering what is preferable between a book in poorer condition but signed (no dust jacket). Or a book in better condition (with dust jacket) but not signed? Also does anyone have any great recommendations on vintage WWI books for an aviation nut?

Old 25 November 2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Taz
Forum Ace

Contributor

17- Take the dust cover off the one copy and put it on the signed copy if it is not in too bad a condition. Best of both worlds. I just did that recently. Purists may yell at me, though.

Welcome to the Forum and glad you found us. Our books section has some recommendations if you search through past threads.

Taz
Terry Phillips
Old 26 November 2007, 04:16 PM   #3
tcrean7828
Forum Ace of Aces

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erxs17 View Post
I'm looking to give my boyfriend an antique aviation book for christmas. I ran across some copies of "Pilot's Luck" illustrated by Clayton Knight. I was wondering what is preferable between a book in poorer condition but signed (no dust jacket). Or a book in better condition (with dust jacket) but not signed? Also does anyone have any great recommendations on vintage WWI books for an aviation nut?
Erxs17,
Welcome to the flagship The Aerodrome, where the best minds on the planet get together and talk about their favorite subject - WW1.

cul

tcrean7828

tom

P.S. Myself, I perfer the signed copy over a non-signed copy.
Old 27 November 2007, 07:54 AM   #4
roowalker
Observer

Re. Book

Welcome !!

Lots of good stuff here,a great place to learn and mingle with the "Great Names" of WWI research. I assume you have not bought either book yet.

If affordable I concur on the of buying both and swapping DJs. If costly, I would want the autographed copy for my library, but this is just my personal view, I don't know how the professional book collectors would view it from the value standpoint.

Best Regards,
Mike
Old 27 November 2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Erxs17

Buying both and swapping sounds like a good idea and I wouldn't mind taking a loss. But how hard do you think it will be to resell the good nonsigned book with no dj.

Old 27 November 2007, 11:32 AM   #6
tcrean7828
Forum Ace of Aces

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erxs17 View Post
Buying both and swapping sounds like a good idea and I wouldn't mind taking a loss. But how hard do you think it will be to resell the good nonsigned book with no dj.
Mate,
Welcome aboard the Flag Ship the Aerodrome - where the best minds on the planet get together and talk about their favorite subject - WW1

cul

tcrean7828

tom
Old 27 November 2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Bettors Pub
Two-seater Pilot

Buy both, switch jackets, put the extra on Ebay and you might be surprised !!!
Old 27 November 2007, 02:57 PM   #8
dpolglaze
Forum Ace

17 - Pilot's Luck came with at least two different dust jackets, one a pictorial jacket that is much the same as the pastedown on the cover, and one orange printed cover that is quite plain. The pictorial d/j is nice.

Author signed books may have little additional value for authors who are not famous or otherwise notable, but Knight's signature is worth a bit more simply because "he was there" and there aren't any pilots left from WWI that we know about.

And the spare copy of Pilot's Luck should bring back at least some of your investment. It's not the most common of books, although it certainly isn't rare.

As far as vintage aviation books, it really depends on where his interests lie. There are personal accounts, general titles, technical titles, memorial volumes. There's a world of books out there.

Welcome to the forum.

Dan
Old 27 November 2007, 04:24 PM   #9
davecww1
Forum Ace

what book would I buy?...

Well if I could get any book(s) for my collection it would be the Lafayette Flying Corps 2 volume set by Nordhoff & Hall. There were 2 printings, first print in the 1920's and second printing in the 1960's. It is a great choice for several reasons, most notably it was written by James Norman Hall, pilot in the Lafayett Escadrille, and he was a great writer that later wrote the Mutiny on the Bounty saga. The books are very readable with first person stories, and also are loaded with color plates, full French escadrille insignias, and complete listing of all members of the Lafayette Flying Corps.
Also due to the limited printings they are quite valuable and sure to make a profit upon resale. If only I had the money... or a girlfriend like you!
Take care,
Dave
Old 28 November 2007, 01:37 AM   #10
Yank44
Two-seater Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecww1 View Post
Well if I could get any book(s) for my collection it would be the Lafayette Flying Corps 2 volume set by Nordhoff & Hall. There were 2 printings, first print in the 1920's and second printing in the 1960's. It is a great choice for several reasons, most notably it was written by James Norman Hall, pilot in the Lafayett Escadrille, and he was a great writer that later wrote the Mutiny on the Bounty saga. The books are very readable with first person stories, and also are loaded with color plates, full French escadrille insignias, and complete listing of all members of the Lafayette Flying Corps.
Also due to the limited printings they are quite valuable and sure to make a profit upon resale. If only I had the money... or a girlfriend like you!
Take care,
Dave
You don't feel like spending $1,500 on a couple of books? Why not? LOL
Closed Thread