Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Topics related to WWI aviation authors, books and magazines

Closed Thread

Old 12 May 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Kirk R. Lowry
Forum Ace

Frederick Blakeslee

Bonjour mes amis!

The current issue of Illustration (Volume Six, Issue Number Twenty-Two - Spring 2008) features a biography of the famous illustrator Frederick Blakeslee who was best known for creating the cover art of the entire run of G-8 and his Battle Aces.

The article, written by David Saunders is a comprehensive overview of the life of one of the most successful artists to work in the pulp magazine field. Most impressive, however are the many reproductions of artwork and covers, some full page, which are excellently printed in colour. As well as art produced for G-8 and his Battle Aces, covers for Battle Birds and Dare-Devil Aces are included.

The notes written by Blakeslee for one cover, that of Dare-Devil Aces, April, 1937, are printed. To accompany the work which depicts an attack by Japanese aircraft upon New York City the artist wrote "I don't think that day will ever arrive, and the fact that I have Japanes ships opposing the Americans who are allied with the British, really means nothing at all" [!] Obviously Blakeslee had a healthy sense of humour as the offices of Popular Publications, the publisher of Dare-Devil Aces, are shown burning!

As one would expect, most of the art work is of Great War subjects and in the grand style of the era. I imagine that many who land at The Aerodrome have fond memories of such paintings. I doubt that the Illustration is available on most newstands, but, any interested may want to investigate through the web site: Illustration Magazine-The History of American Illustration Art-Illustration Art History

Salut!
Kirk
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread