The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 15 May 2003, 10:55 AM   #1
PeterL
Forum Ace

Does anyone have any idea what size the sworls should be for 1:48 scale printed Austrian sworl fabric?

Peter L
Sponsored Links
Old 15 May 2003, 02:00 PM   #2
Rob_Owens
Forum Ace

Peter, Just e-mailed you a scan of an Albi top wing (color plate however, not a photo) in sworl. Daimeter of each figure in the pattern looks to be about 1/5 of the wing chord, but in 1/48 dimensions, I don't know. This also assumes that the artist got it right. Hth, Rob (why don't you just use fcm decals?)
Old 15 May 2003, 10:57 PM   #3
PeterL
Forum Ace

Quote:
Peter, Just e-mailed you a scan of an Albi top wing (color plate however, not a photo) in sworl.
Thanks mate, that's just the job.

Quote:
(why don't you just use fcm decals?)
Good question. It's not for me but for a mate of mine who's even more of a tight-@R$£ than I am. He asked me if I could mosaic a scan from the Japo Albatros book into a whole sheet for him. More fool me because the book illustration isn't symetrical and needed some work before it would behave as it should. He's asking for a print in 1:48 and the much larger original saved on disc. A bit of a "scale tart" I suspect he just wants the 1:48 version as a fixed point of reference and is up to no good in a larger scale. His place is littered (literally) with vacforms I never heared of, including some that were never released, so heaven knows what he's up to.

Peter L
Old 22 June 2003, 12:46 PM   #4
StephenLawson
Shot Down

PeterL: Here's the Cross & cocade reference that we get most of our info from.
Cross& Cockade Vol. 19, #2 P.87 Shows to Oeffad Factory shots of the J. Bachhausen & Söhne produced sworl camouflage printed fabric. It is placed behind the wing frame work of an Albatros D.III (Oeffag) top wing. It shows about 6 sworl rows at the longest chord of the wing.
Old 22 June 2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Ross_Moorhouse
Forum Ace of Aces

Quote:

Thanks mate, that's just the job.

Good question. It's not for me but for a mate of mine who's even more of a tight-@R$£ than I am. He asked me if I could mosaic a scan from the Japo Albatros book into a whole sheet for him. More fool me because the book illustration isn't symetrical and needed some work before it would behave as it should. He's asking for a print in 1:48 and the much larger original saved on disc. A bit of a "scale tart" I suspect he just wants the 1:48 version as a fixed point of reference and is up to no good in a larger scale. His place is littered (literally) with vacforms I never heared of, including some that were never released, so heaven knows what he's up to.
I have looked at the swirl pattern Master and will do your bidding..

"...you can never be too dogmatic about WWI finishes." the voice of reason..

Quote:
von Richthoven: How lucky you English are to find the toilet so amusing. For us, it is a mundane and functional item. For you, the basis of an entire culture.