Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 25 November 2008, 07:04 AM   #1
JohnReid
Shot Down

Unhappy Model Kits and the Recession.

I was wondering what you guys think about how the recession could affect your model buying habits? Personally I have enough stuff in stock to last me another lifetime.Raw materials such as wood,paint etc..is about all that I buy anymore.
This may be a good thing in the end.A great time to work on reducing those stashes.
Sponsored Links
Old 25 November 2008, 09:43 AM   #2
TeamStewart
Scout Pilot

Here's how it affects me.

I can't buy stuff online with a cc, 'cause my wife will see it.

I have to squirrel away cash whenever I can and send money orders via snail mail for my stuff, when I have enough.

Pathetic, I know. But I'm a stay at home dad, and SWMBO was out of work for 3 months, and things were very tight, and actually still will be for a few more weeks.
Old 25 November 2008, 09:51 AM   #3
JohnReid
Shot Down

I wonder how it will effect the hi-end pricey kits?
Old 25 November 2008, 10:38 AM   #4
bobs_buckles
Forum Ace

John,
The whole situation we find ourselves in is like a double edged sword. Give up buying and start building the stash = harms new kit releases as manufacturers need a ball park figure on projected sales, people ain't buying, kits don't come out and the industry suffers. On the other edge of the sword = Money is tight and for the foreseeable future, unless you're rolling in cash, kit choice and cost will decide where the market goes.

For my part nothing much will change. I would say on average I buy 2 kits a month, well within my budget of millions... lira

Bob

Bob's Buckles
Old 25 November 2008, 12:28 PM   #5
MerlinV
Forum Ace

Recession? What Recession?

I have been trying to cut back for a couple of years now, but Roden just keep releasing items from my wish list!

The Aus Dollar tanking has already made me more wary... That fact alone could see kit prices go up on our LHS shelves by about 30% in the near future.

My wife and I are working (she has two jobs), and in jobs that seem to be pretty immune from the (current) economic situation. But that can change I guess...

No, I am not trying to Brag. I have been at the receiving end of the redundancy stick in the past and I know how depressing and scary it is. I feel for anyone who has suffered as a result of the current situation.

I agree with Bob though. If we stop buying, manufacturers that we would like to be supporting will suffer... But John is right too; evergreen strip and glue are affordable, and scratch building is rewarding.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 25 November 2008, 03:44 PM   #6
mgtaylor
Forum Ace

Wow !!! I agreee with everyone here. I cant stop cause like Merlin says MORE keeps coming out.

I am concerned however for what Bobby Comments which I agree and to me is of issue. How will the major and AM makers feel about it ?

Personlly I have been using Paypal account to squirrel away enough cash for future releases. Fortunetly for me like John I also suffer from TOO Many Kit to EVER build in my lifetime with out life support. So for me IT IS ALL ABOUT the NEW / NEAR FUTURE Releases.

My observation as a part time vendor however is that Orders Have Dramaticly Slowed. However forutnatley I have also seen signs of buying which to me indicates like funny movies which see a rise in receipts during hard times so too Hobby Recreational "Budegeted?" Spending becomes more important to some who find their troubles / concerns temporairly on hold or gone while htey build or buy a new kit etc. ?

Yours mIkey
Old 25 November 2008, 04:28 PM   #7
JohnReid
Shot Down

Hi MIkey! yeah you just might be right, we will probably need our hobbies more than ever now.
Old 25 November 2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Trackpad
Forum Ace

Contributor

Hi, All,

I'm relatively immune, like John. I have more than enough kits, and, given my (maybe) slightly above average skill levels, they will safeguard me from too many "new release" impulse purchases. Do I need an Eduard 1/48th Triplane when I have two quite serviceable DML offerings to build? Do I need an Eduard 1/48th Fokker DVII when I have a Roden and a DML to build? Answer: no, not really. All I really need are the paints, glues and basic tools to build them, and I certainly have more than enough of these, and some not so basic (thanks, Mike, for my Misterkit paints, and you, Bob, for that recent order of buckles !). I think that I can weather the recession, technical or otherwise, in fair comfort.

Last edited by Trackpad; 25 November 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 25 November 2008, 06:03 PM   #9
AROTH
Forum Ace

I will have to live to be 594 years old (well, maybe 528 if I rush) to get all mine done.......still I buy more, plus accessories, decals, etc.

Don't ask me why anymore........
Old 25 November 2008, 06:57 PM   #10
modelhound
Scout Pilot

My 2 cents (not worth much now)

As I have been known to say, and I have seen written by others:

Models will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no models.

There, I've said it and I feel much better. I'm going to bed now . . . . .

Mike in Bellingham, WA 98226 USA