Subscribe to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 20 June 2009, 05:55 AM   #1
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

My FE2b reproduction..

Several years ago,having already completed a Be2b reproduction..... (see my thread about 15 items ago on the replica aircraft listing)...it was decided by way of a follow on contract that I should construct a completely authentic Fe2b reproduction utilising "as is" the very basic nacelle frame held at RAF museum Cardington... for eventual display at Hendon......Over the next 18 years, working entirely alone in my very small workshop, components took shape as may be seen in the photo's within this thread, culminating with a complete set of components. Lacking any facilities here to assemble and rig this 48ft x 32ft machine, as had been decided at the outset, the complete set of components, this constituting 95% of the airframe, duly arrived early in 2007 at RAF museum Cosford for fabricing and assembly etc. However it is understood that this last 5% or so has been contracted out....The complete machine as I understand it, is to be unveiled at a ceremony at RAFM on this July 1st..........Regards John
Sponsored Links
Old 20 June 2009, 06:05 AM   #2
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Rudder

Old 20 June 2009, 06:10 AM   #3
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Rudder

Old 20 June 2009, 06:13 AM   #4
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Detail top area.

Old 20 June 2009, 06:15 AM   #5
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Top rib attachment detail

Old 20 June 2009, 06:17 AM   #6
Joe Perkel
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKenzie View Post

"....Over the next 18 years, working entirely alone in my very small workshop, components took shape as may be seen in the photo's within this thread, culminating with a complete set of components...."

John,

This is precisely the model I have intended to follow since inception, (fabrication with later assembly). Inspiring to see it having been done to the level of craftsmanship that you succeded in accomplishing. I myself, have been delayed in the preparatory phase much longer than anticipated, but fully expect this to change in relatively short order.

Both you and Nick (with his Snipe in Australia), have contributed immeasurable value to this forum, and demonstrated just what can be accomplised with care and patience. Of equal value I have learned from both of these examples, (and to coin a phrase), "Trickle Feed Economics".

Regards

http://sopwith-baby.com/

M.V.R. Showed us what happens when you don't stick to your own rules.
Old 20 June 2009, 06:18 AM   #7
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Lever area

Old 20 June 2009, 06:37 AM   #8
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Hi Joe.... Thanks for that,....I pretty well have to do ALL the metal work first, 1) because it takes up so much less space ..(not much to spare!)...allowing me to keep working without falling over a lot of finished stuff ,which would need storing...and2)....This is the "long slog " bit, and it is best ,I find to get on with this for a few years, in fact, and then to finish off with the much mor e ,visualy productive, wood work at the end...this way, 3) I keep the various trades seperate and don't mix skills too much......Metal work of course tends to be dirty and oily and ? hot (Oxy/accet.)...and wood needs to be clean.......I did have problems with the certain people with this way of working , because there is to some eyes very little progress untill they see a wing or some big thing, even though it may be years away from finished in all the small details....But thats how I do it.........Some more photos to go on now...Regards John
Old 20 June 2009, 06:40 AM   #9
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Lever

Old 20 June 2009, 06:43 AM   #10
John McKenzie
Forum Ace

Under view of lever area

Closed Thread