Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 1 January 2010, 11:45 AM   #1
apauling
Observer

Should rib tapes be semi-transparent?

I was looking at the stark contrast between the rib tapes and the dark camoflage on the top of my WNW LVG and it got me thinking....if plain linen is saturated with dope and pressed against another surface, shouldn't it become partially transparent? sort of a wet T-shirt effect? Would the tape on the uppersurfaces be darker than on the lower surfaces just because of what is underneath? Would the colors show through individually, or would it just be generally darker? Would this effect lessen over time as the surface weathers?

I've never seen the top of a real german WW1 plane--I don't know what to think. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 1 January 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
albatros1234
Shot Down

good question I'm not sure try Dan San Abbot, send hima message he seems to know the answers to weird little inquiries like this. linen is much thicker than t-shirt material so I doubt it but, who knows
Old 1 January 2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Hans
Forum Ace

No, no wet-t-shirt-effect. I had the opportunity to look at an original LVG stabilizer still in his original "clothings". The tapes are from inbleached linen and they are completely opaque.

H
Old 1 January 2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Bill McGill
Shot Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by apauling View Post
I was looking at the stark contrast between the rib tapes and the dark camoflage on the top of my WNW LVG and it got me thinking....if plain linen is saturated with dope and pressed against another surface, shouldn't it become partially transparent? sort of a wet T-shirt effect? Would the tape on the uppersurfaces be darker than on the lower surfaces just because of what is underneath? Would the colors show through individually, or would it just be generally darker? Would this effect lessen over time as the surface weathers?

I've never seen the top of a real german WW1 plane--I don't know what to think. Any ideas?

As Hans said, not like a wet t-shirt at all.

See this image from Wingnuts website...

....if this link doesn't work it's in the color photos section from the LVG.
Old 1 January 2010, 01:56 PM   #5
apauling
Observer

Thanks! these answers save me a lot of work, I wasn't looking forward to re-doing my rib tapes. Happy new year!
Old 1 January 2010, 10:34 PM   #6
Dan_San_Abbott
Rest in Peace

My Gallery
Not cloth.

Hi Apauling:
The tapes used on the Halb C.VI are not cut strips of fabric, they are woven linen tape.
Happy New Year,
Dan-San
Closed Thread