Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Movies and Television

Movies and Television Topics related to WWI aviation movies, documentaries, television, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28 April 2010, 03:25 AM   #1
rainbase
Forum Ace

The Eagle And The Hawk

If you haven't seen this yet, it can be streamed here:

The Eagle and the Hawk (1933) - Movie Forumz

From 1933, it's the story of a few Americans serving with an RFC squadron in France.

The story's by John Monk Saunders and it stars Frederic March and a young Cary Grant. Like "Dawn Patrol", it's a melodramatic tale about the stresses of combat, but perfectly watchable and with a fair amount of flying and airfield scenes. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Old 28 April 2010, 07:29 AM   #2
redintheskies
Forum Ace

thank you very much. it's amazing. wow...not even 20 years after the "great war" ended and this.
Old 28 April 2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

As I've said here before (fairly often), The Eagle and the Hawk is one of my favorite WWI aviation films from this era. Besides John Monk Saunders, the screenplay was co-authored by Bogart Rogers, an American ace who had flown SE5a's in No. 32 Squadron, RAF. Thus, he was well-informed about Yanks serving in the RAF.

During his training in Middleton, Ayr, Rogers had the benefit of hearing several instructional talks by James McCudden. He greatly admired McCudden, and it's obvious that he was partly 'inspired' by Mac's Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps as he was writing the story for this movie. The lead character (Frederic March) encounters a superb German pilot that he refers to as "Greentail" several times . When March finally turns the tables and shoots "Greentail" down, he is surprised to learn upon seeing the German's body that he was "Voss - the great ace!". In the ImdB listings, he's credited as "Arnold Voss," even though he has no lines..!

Furthermore, it's one of the few films that concentrates on two-seater operations, and has some fairly advanced (for the time) things to say about the psychological effects of war on airmen, etc.

Last edited by Gregvan; 28 April 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 28 April 2010, 06:34 PM   #4
rainbase
Forum Ace

Hey Greg, I saw this film for the first time in the wee hours this morning and was sucked right in. I didn't realize Bogart Rogers was a co-author. I read his book late last year and loved it. The title escapes me at the moment (A Yankee Ace In The RAF, maybe?). Like my favorite "No Parachute", it's a collection of letters Rogers wrote at the time and is a fabulous read; particular his descriptions of the months following the Armistice before being mustered out.

Great stuff.
Old 28 April 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi Jan,

Take a look here:

The Eagle and the Hawk (1933) - Full cast and crew

And you'll see under "Writers,", Seton I. Miller, Bogart Rogers and John Monk Saunders.

Yes, it's A Yankee Ace in the RAF. One of my favorite books too. In the postscript at the back of the book (page 258) it describes his involvement in this film. According to the book, he also produced it. ??

Anyway, great flick. Those wonderful DH4's flying around are terrific, even with the goofy camouflage scheme.One of the stunt pilots who worked on this film was O.C. "Boots" LeBoutillier, the famous Sopwith Camel ace from 209 Squadron who had participated in the final MvR dogfight on 21 April 1918. One wonders if the paths of Rogers and LeBoutillier ever crossed, and if they talked about the old days of 1918...

Greg

Old 29 April 2010, 06:34 PM   #6
redintheskies
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbase View Post
Hey Greg, I saw this film for the first time in the wee hours this morning and was sucked right in. I didn't realize Bogart Rogers was a co-author. I read his book late last year and loved it. The title escapes me at the moment (A Yankee Ace In The RAF, maybe?). Like my favorite "No Parachute", it's a collection of letters Rogers wrote at the time and is a fabulous read; particular his descriptions of the months following the Armistice before being mustered out.

Great stuff.
i got sucked right it, too. and watching it in the dark hours of the morning is nice, too.