Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage and Markings

Camouflage and Markings Topics related to the camouflage and markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 18 May 2010, 10:48 PM   #1
reflected
Observer

Henry John Burden's C'1096- "3" or "V"?

I always thought Burden's SE looked like this:
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../7/0591751.jpg

However, reading "56 sqn RFC/RAF" I happened across a color plate where this plane was marked "V" and had C flight's blue wheel covers. No sign of the "Maybe?". (I think this drawing is featured in "SE5a aces of WWI" as well)

So which one is correct? What did his plane look like? (Which flight was he in at all?)

Thank you in advance,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Old 19 May 2010, 12:45 AM   #2
alex_revell
Shot Down

Greg,
Burden's SE5a C1098 was marked V as a C Flight aircraft. The illustration in 56 Sqn RFC/RAF - or as the publishers have it RAF/RFC - is correct. Source: Burden's photo of this SE5a which he sent home and annotated around the edge of the photo, with the colours etc. The markings of SE5a in the photo you posted is very inaccurate, even down to the way the sqdn marking has been applied.
Old 19 May 2010, 12:53 AM   #3
reflected
Observer

Thanks Alex, that's what I thought as well. Now my suspicion is confirmed! Every source says "V", and the one on the picture is "just" a replica.

It makes me wonder though: if someone takes the time to build a real SE5a why can't he paint it correctly? Building the SE must have taken years, but buying "56 sqn RFC" and opening it on page 72 takes only 2 minutes
Old 19 May 2010, 02:34 AM   #4
alex_revell
Shot Down

Greg,
All honour to the builders, of course, no light task to build a replica, but it's the old story of spoiling the ship for a halfpenny worth of tar. When the film people were making The Blue Max, the director was so impressed by the colours of the German aircraft that he wanted to have all the British aeroplanes painted in the same colours! Lucklly he was persuaded otherwise.
Old 19 May 2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Brez
Scout Pilot

Hi Greg,
On page 38 of the SE5a Windsock Datafile Special there are two photos of C'1096 the first with a Wolsely Viper engine, headrest, quartered wheel covers and what looks like the top of a '3' on the fuselage, (I suppose it could be a '2'). The second picture shows it in the markings Alex describes with no headrest and a Hisso rad.
I think the replica is a fair represntation of the first scheme, except that it has no headrest fairing.
Cheers,
Tony.
Old 19 May 2010, 01:29 PM   #6
reflected
Observer

Brez,
Sorry, but I can't find the picture you're talking about. On page 38 I can only se 74 sqn SEs. I can't find any picture of C1096 anywhere in that book, not even in the 56 sqn section.
Old 19 May 2010, 04:02 PM   #7
RAGIII
Forum Ace

Dr. Merrill of Americal fame describes C 1096 as a two for one. earlier guise marked with a "3" in all normal locations, quartered wheel covers. He states that the aircraft was flown later by Burden as pictured and described in his picture/letter home.
RAGIII
Old 19 May 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
FOKKERJ
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
I always thought Burden's SE looked like this:

However, reading "56 sqn RFC/RAF" I happened across a color plate where this plane was marked "V" and had C flight's blue wheel covers. No sign of the "Maybe?". (I think this drawing is featured in "SE5a aces of WWI" as well)

So which one is correct? What did his plane look like? (Which flight was he in at all?)

Thank you in advance,
Greg
Hi Greg,

I just wanted to see what all of the fuss was about!

Cheers, Jay aka FOKKERJ

P.S. I wasn't able to see the image that you posted.

OK, I found your link!

Nice looking plane.

Last edited by FOKKERJ; 19 May 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 19 May 2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Brez
Scout Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
Brez,
Sorry, but I can't find the picture you're talking about. On page 38 I can only se 74 sqn SEs. I can't find any picture of C1096 anywhere in that book, not even in the 56 sqn section.
Greg,
You must be looking in the wrong book. I've sent you the page in a PM.
Cheers,
Tony.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:03 PM   #10
reflected
Observer

Oh, thanks, now I see.
Well, it's very hard to tell if the serial number of that aircraft is C1096 as well. Also, it appears to be a Viper SE, whereas the SE marked "V" looks like a Hisso. Then again, I might be wrong. It also seems unlikely that Burden was moved from B flight to A flight (wheel covers). Can it really be the same aircraft?
Closed Thread