The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Old 20 December 2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Contributor

Airdrome Nieuport 17 - Florida Version

Last week just before I left town for a few days, I received a long slender package from Airdrome Aeroplanes. It is the rudder kit that I recently ordered.

If you looked in on the other thread where I asked questions about comparison with the AA and Lee N 17, I noted that I had ordered the Lee plans and had ordered the AA rudder kit. My intent was to test the waters to see if I was up to the full build project.

I have not even opened the rudder package yet, but to be honest, I am pretty stoked and unless something happens, the order for the remainder of the kit will follow.

This may be a little premature, but I am hoping to make a few modifications, mostly for cosmetic reasons, but could definitely affect flying characteristics.

- Reshape the leading edge of the rudder to soften the upper curve to more original shape.

- Hopefully use a thinner wing airfoil ala Russ' Camel.

- Pull Pull cable control of the elevators.

- Modify the lower wing "landing" cable connection to a more correct location. I saw this on a N 25 (I think) on the Aerodrome Builders thread.

Of course, all of this will be worked out with Robert.

This week will be pretty short due to the holiday and family committments. Hopefully, I can get some photos started.

Dale
Old 21 December 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Contributor

Last night I opened the package and it took me all of about 30 seconds to generate questions.

I called Robert today, and as most of you have said, he took the time and answered what I wanted to know. He must have some kind of patience to deal with all us novices asking dumb questions.

I had ordered a 40" metal brake from Harbor Freight. It was supposed to have been here yesterday. Unfortunately, I got notice today that it was damaged in shipment and I guess going back. Not really a big deal since we're going out of town again this weekend.

Next week I'll start building a table to work on and hopefully start bending tubing.

Dale
Old 27 December 2010, 02:11 AM   #3
Dart
Forum Ace

Contributor

So you're the reason why the bending brake is "currently out of stock" on their site.

A few mistakes a friend of mine made when putting together his N11 rudder:

1) If you decide to just bend the bow by hand, start where it goes into the spar at the hole in the front towards the top, not from the bottom working around the top and then in the hole.

2) The control horn gets put on BEFORE the gussets on the bottom.

3) The bottom hinge is also put in place BEFORE the gussets on the bottom.

4) Measure the angle one more time on the horizontal braces before riveting. 92 degrees may be too little for anyone else but you to notice, but you'll definately notice it.

(Man, that guy is an idiot!)

Other advice:

If you're bending, bend. Hem and haw all you want before and after you bend, but when you're actually moving metal, act decisively and follow through.

Every mistake my friend made with bending or shaping was due to either stopping halfway through the action or not moving in one continous motion.

Don't stress. Rivets really do drill out easily.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Contributor

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately, I use to do A/C installation and have worked with sheet metal quite a bit. Robert also gave me a few tips.

I am currently on hold with Harbor Freight checking on the metal brake that was held up in shippment due to damage. They are reordering it and says they are in stock.

Hope I can get started this week.

Dale
Old 28 December 2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Doc Modeler
Two-seater Pilot

Dales N 17

Gosh Dale, this is going to be interesting, mind if I watch.
Doc
Doc Modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Contributor

Gee, Doc, I don't know how interesting it will be, but you are sure welcome to watch. In fact, you can add your input to help me keep from screwing up

I need to make a run to Lowes and get some supplies to make a build table and forms, etc.

That may be my first actual project postings.

Dart, did your rudder kit come with the wooden plug material? Mine didn't have anything, but the package was open and may have fallen out.

Dale
Old 28 December 2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Olson
Scout Pilot

Neiuport build

I guess this is just the natural progression from 1/4 scale to 1/3, to 1/2, etc. I'm subscribed too. I don't suppose you'll have it done by Blue Max........John
Old 28 December 2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Contributor

Hi John, Yes, just a higher level of insanity

Blue Max? Well, what year???

Dale
Old 28 December 2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Dart
Forum Ace

Contributor

It came with a bit of dowel, but I wound up just getting some more from the hardware store and running it over my bog standard handheld sander to take a little extra off to make it fit snug (no way I'm pounding anything into tubing). I think it was 1/4 inch stuff, but not quite sure, but it was dirt cheap for a big long piece of it.

If the plans were like mine, they should show dowel inserted at the front of the bracing spar, but not the back. DO NOT get fancy and try to do it on both ends! Where the bow bends in the back it's at quite a slope and I had disasterous results. Pick a disaster and I had it, including ultimately breaking the bow at that point.

Also, use a short wood screw to secure it. I had some nice inch and a half long ones in the shed and ended up pulling the dowel out and doing over twice as they began to follow the grain and bend as they went in. Yeah, twice. Some of us are slow learners. A quarter inch screw works much better and is very secure.

Robert really is a gem for patiently putting up with my questions. I had no clue as to what the second and third pages (the three quarter box cross bar bending guides) referred to, and he didn't laugh at me outright.

I'm a poster child for inventing new and entertaining ways of screwing things up and managed to get the rudder together and actually getting a passing grade from an FAA inspector, so don't worry too much about it.

There's a lot of TLAR* standard of measurement going in your favor. Don't second guess too much.

You're already way ahead of me with a fancy table. I just took a piece of thick plywood and laid it on a bunch of cinder blocks that I stood on end on the back lawn.

*TLAR: That Looks About Right. Credit to Dick Starks for that one - and he sure was on the money with it.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 05:27 AM   #10
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Contributor

Thanks. I guess the dowel fell out in shipping. I have plenty of various sizes anyway. I saw the short screw on the plan. It looked pretty short, but you may have found out why.

I doubt my table will come out very fancy, I just want something level to work on. My model building tables are a little small

I'm having a heck of a time getting started. With being gone for Christmas, and packing several large model kits, that recently sold, for shipping, there isn't much time left in the evenings.

Too bad I have to work, my wife and mother are going to Birmingham today to visit a friend. I could have come along and checked out your project.

Dale