Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Movies and Television

Movies and Television Topics related to WWI aviation movies, documentaries, television, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24 January 2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Regulus
Closed His Account

Zeppelins and Gotha bombers on Belgian TV

Tomorrow night at 20.40 hours, in the series Publiek geheim or Public Secrets, a show on the Gontrode aerodrome, starring forumite Thomas Genth.

All about the Zeppelins and Gotha bombers operating from this field and what remains of it.

Channel : Canvas (Belgian TV)

Best from Johan
Sponsored Links
Old 24 January 2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Barry Hickson
Forum Ace

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Tomorrow night at 20.40 hours, in the series Publiek geheim or Public Secrets, a show on the Gontrode aerodrome, starring forumite Thomas Genth.

All about the Zeppelins and Gotha bombers operating from this field and what remains of it.

Channel : Canvas (Belgian TV)

Best from Johan
Thats most interesting Johan as I have just finished reading the story of Thomas's Grandfather Adolph Genth in the Australian WW1 Aero Historians Annual publication 14-18 Journal which had many pics & info supplied by Thomas. Great story & pics I might add.

Regards Barry H.

Its a fine line indeed between going out in a Blaze of Glory or having Crashed & Burnt!
Member of The Australian Society of World War Aero Historians Inc.
Old 24 January 2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Regulus
Closed His Account

Hi Barry,

Very interesting indeed ! I'll order the yearbook in the first days, as it is a need to have one for my collection !

Ah, so little time, so much to read and research...
Old 25 January 2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Bluedevil
Two-seater Pilot

The recorder is programmed!
Now I only need to find a way to get it on a dvd.
( I know it can be done to record from HD-digicorder to DVD- recorder but it is a pain in the *** )
Old 26 January 2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Bluedevil
Two-seater Pilot

Well I watched the documentary yesterday ( late ) and it was most interesting.
I knew that Reginald Warneford shot down a Zep above Ghent but never realized that it went down where my father-in-law used to live as a very small boy...I'll have to ask him about it : there may be a nice story in it

Dies anyone know what happened further on in the war with Warneford? They named a street after him in Ghent...he must have left quite an impression.

Most shocking thing I learned was that one of the German occupants fell right through the roof of the pub I used to visit once and a while ( till it went out of bussiness...)... if I had known I doubt if the beer would have tasted the same...

There were some nice images of the Gotha bombers standing in front of the large Zeppelin-shed and I was amazed by their sheer number.

All in all time well-spent
Old 26 January 2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Barry Hickson
Forum Ace

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
Well I watched the documentary yesterday ( late ) and it was most interesting.
I knew that Reginald Warneford shot down a Zep above Ghent but never realized that it went down where my father-in-law used to live as a very small boy...I'll have to ask him about it : there may be a nice story in it

Dies anyone know what happened further on in the war with Warneford? They named a street after him in Ghent...he must have left quite an impression.

Most shocking thing I learned was that one of the German occupants fell right through the roof of the pub I used to visit once and a while ( till it went out of bussiness...)... if I had known I doubt if the beer would have tasted the same...

There were some nice images of the Gotha bombers standing in front of the large Zeppelin-shed and I was amazed by their sheer number.

All in all time well-spent
G'day Bluedevil! Flight Sub Lieutenant R.A.J. Warneford was awarded the Victoria Cross & the French Legion d'Honneur for this exploit but tragically was killed only 10 days later when his Farman
F27 suffered a structural failure & flipped over throwing both Warnerford & his passenger, an American Journalist, to their deaths from about 700 feet. Neither were wearing Safety Belts.

Regards Barry H.

Its a fine line indeed between going out in a Blaze of Glory or having Crashed & Burnt!
Old 26 January 2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Bluedevil
Two-seater Pilot

Thanks...

Makes me wonder about Fate
Old 27 January 2011, 02:39 AM   #8
fataldigital
Observer

Hi,

I've watched the documentary aswell
It was really something special for me to see cause I didn't know something like that happened in Ghent. (Born in 1990 and they don't teach us such things at school) Those Gotha's do seem huge for something during WOI.

Cya
Old 27 January 2011, 03:53 AM   #9
Bluedevil
Two-seater Pilot

Nice to see there's a new generation ready to learn more about early aviation

In hindsight I 've heared my grand-mother tell stories about this...Just was busy doing other things then.
Old 27 January 2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Barry Hickson
Forum Ace

Question Question for Bluedevil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
Nice to see there's a new generation ready to learn more about early aviation

In hindsight I 've heared my grand-mother tell stories about this...Just was busy doing other things then.
Hey Bluedevil is that you with the same name over on the "Wings of War Aerodrome"? Sounds like you. Iam over there as "gully_raker" with Stan Dallas' SE5a as my Avitar!

Regards Barry H.

Closed Thread