Subscribe to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Museums and Collections

Museums and Collections Topics related to WWI aviation museums and collections

Closed Thread

Old 30 March 2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Romani
Forum Ace

Questions about Le Bourget museum

-I am going to Paris next week, I wanted to go to Le Bourget, but the museum official page shows very little. They have a gallery for the Great War, but other than a few French types, the Fokker DVII and the Pfalz DXII I don't see any other airplanes of the pictures in the latest thread from October 2009.

My enthusiasm has been cooled because it had a jar of cold water poured on it when I saw how few types they have from the Second World War, and worse, the most interesting exhibit, the Soviet planes, the Polikarpov and the Yak are in restoration.

Do they have a Junkers DI and those British types in display or they just rearranged everything and went into storage. I ask because the text doesn't mention anything, I hope is just a display of French chauvinism.

It seems Le Bourget it is not as good as I thought it to be, I don't care at all about jets, though the Russian air force museum at Monino was interesting.

Regardless, I would have gone anyway just for the WWI planes, plus the 2 Russian WWII planes. When I was in Monino their Yak was in restoration, so I hoped to see one here, such a bad luck!

https://guerraenucrania.wordpress.com

http://vb3img.theaerodrome.netdna-cdn.com/signaturepics/sigpic158_1.gif
Sponsored Links
Old 30 March 2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Fortune hunters
Scout Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romani View Post
It seems Le Bourget it is not as good as I thought it to be, I don't care at all about jets, though the Russian air force museum at Monino was interesting.
Greetings,
A great museum, I think (It's only my opinion). My last visit was in December 2009. We are really in the atmosphere by movies on screens, life by dummy and stand, objects in exhibition,...
There is also much prior to WWI, some WWI French uniforms of some Aces, engines, Guynemer's Spad VII, archives...

I have some photographies of my visit in 2009, but I must find the CD. I hope to come back again this year or next to Le Bourget.

There is also "des Invalides" museum in Paris, with some French aviator uniforms (Maybe German too ?), a "Rhone" engine, Lewis and Vickers, a FT17 tank, French 75, guns ...). "des Invalides" museum it's all periods of the French army or before (Knight and Monarchy). Interesting also. Musée de l'Armée

Last edited by Fortune hunters; 30 March 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 30 March 2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Fortune hunters
Scout Pilot

Found!

Some photo by me in 2009.

Movie (27 s.) :

Last edited by Fortune hunters; 30 March 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 30 March 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Fortune hunters
Scout Pilot

(Voisin, Caudron and Nieuport).

Last edited by Fortune hunters; 30 March 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 30 March 2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Fortune hunters
Scout Pilot

Greetings.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Doc
Forum Ace

It's a great museum! don't miss it. The WWI section is good, but my favorite is the original Antoinette..... Doc
Old 30 March 2011, 11:52 AM   #7
gustav_novak
Two-seater Pilot

Well,

tell me about the Russian aeroplanes...We have a bunch of them at Kbely, especially if you are interested in MIG 15 variants.

I spent a great time at Le Bourget and I confirm the following:
No guide book in English that time; poor web presentation that time, BUT
a wonderful pre WWI and WWI collection.
Little bit limited by that art-deco airport hall design, though...You are forced to meandre through up and down...But it gives you some unique positioning...

A lot of strange tubes with wings. Probably some modern, after WWII design. Not interested in dural anyway...
Just a couple of WWII planes, but the Dewoitine D 520!!!

Including some snaps...That time was more focused on WWII...

I think the Le Bourget is a must to see...

All the best

Mirko
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010161.jpg (49.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P1010159.jpg (49.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg P1010138.jpg (50.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1010113.jpg (49.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 30 March 2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Romani
Forum Ace

Merci beaucop!

I see now that the non-French WWI airplanes are suspended from the ceiling, and almost not visible in the photos, I should have checked the image gallery before jumping to hasty conclusions.

I think I can get over my disappointment about not seeing the Polikarpov and the Yak and realize it's worth a visit just for the Pfalz DXII and the Junkers DI, plus of course, the SPAD of Guynemer.

I will try to visit it. There's so much to see!
Old 30 March 2011, 12:39 PM   #9
gustav_novak
Two-seater Pilot

Have more photos, but the quality...

That time a friend of mine wanted some Fok DVII details....

Let´s wait for your post after your return from Paris!

Mirko
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010146.jpg (49.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1010140.jpg (49.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1010135.jpg (48.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1010130.jpg (50.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 30 March 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Baron Von Battenberg
Observer

You won't be disapointed. There's a fair bit of WW2 aswell. As mentioned the information isn't great, found it frustrating not knowing full deatails of aircraft, sometimes none at all. Especially with WW1, didn't know whether exhibits were genuine, replica or reproduction. The DH9 had a picture of an SE5.

Make sure you do your homework on the on the planes you are interested in before you go.

As for the meandring that was one of the best things you can view from the ground or above.

Have a great time!
Closed Thread