Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > Models

Models Topics related to WWI aircraft models. Forum is closed for posting.

Old 29 May 2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Old Man
Forum Ace

Dan-San Abbott Memorial Group Build

I would like to propose commencing a Group Build in honor of Mr. Abbott, conducted here on the Aerodrome modeling forum. I expect most of us here have had the pleasure of some assistance and inspiration from the man, and a model built in recognition of that seems a proper means of remembrance.

A starting date of tomorrow, Memorial Day, and a run until Christmas, a span of six months bracketed by holidays, would give plenty of time for finishing even the most ambitious project, or for several items by the most industrious.

The only eligibility standard would be that the model be finished in some scheme illustrated by Mr. Abbott, whether in his open gallery here at the Aerodrome, or in one of his CD collections, or in Schlachtflieger, or in any other source where his work has appeared. The idea being to include rather than exclude, models already under way would be welcome, and of course any scale, with any level of after-market, from OOB to complete scratch-build via a mountain of resin or PE, would be welcome.

For people who have not been in a group build, this is not a contest, there is no judging for first through third, etc., but we may be able to accummulate a few items to raffle off to participants who complete their models, and perhaps have a vote on 'people's choice' among completed builds.

I would suggest that people who wish to be part of this reply to this thread, with the build they intend, and then start a build thread for their project, with a link to this thread, and occasionally post a progress picture in this thread as well.
Old 29 May 2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Old Man
Forum Ace

To start things off, I will be building a Roden Pfalz D.IIIa in 1/72, finished as this machine:

Old 29 May 2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Trackpad
Forum Ace

Contributor

Old Man, and Friends,

A very appropriate idea, and one that I support. My subject would be the following, found in the Dan-San Abbot Collecton, Volume One, and based on the 1/48th scale Eduard Fokker EV kit:

I hope that others will join in!
Old 29 May 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
StephenLawson
Shot Down

Most impressive idea! I might have a thing or two I can contribute to the builds.
Old 29 May 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
redbaron1917
Forum Ace

20 Revell Fokker DVIIs

I will be building a full scale DVII, though not in this time frame. It is a 1 to 1 model technically

I do have 20 Revell 1/72 DVIIs that I will be doing to settle on the future scheme. If some of you might help me find some of Dan's posted works other that Friedrich's and Udet's DVIIs, I would like to join the build.

Best Regards,

Tony Moore
Old 29 May 2011, 10:33 PM   #6
albatros1234
Shot Down

i think its a great idea and i wish to participate. i will have to do some research in order to see what my build will be. more on that later.
Old 29 May 2011, 10:57 PM   #7
PrzemoL
Forum Ace

It is great, Old Man, that you have started with this thread.
As already mentioned elsewhere, I have just started the model when the sad news came...

So here it is, my small tribute to the Great Man:

Ardpol's 72nd resin kit: Halberstadt Cl.IV

I plan to do it as the Hans Ebel's machine (the colour scheme comes from Schlachtflieger)

More to come very soon in a separate thread, as Old Man suggested.

Last edited by PrzemoL; 29 May 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 29 May 2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Robin
Shot Down

Dan-San's last forum post was a reply to my Albatros D.V progress thread.
The poor model was scrapped after a crash before I finished it.

I think it's appropriate to build the same plane again, so his last advise will result in a finished project. The Emil Thuy D.V. (1/48 Eduard)

I just started a Dr.I (1/48 Eduard Weekend Edition), but will start building the GB D.V alongside.

My raffle input...a mug, with on one side the Axial logo and the Garuda logo on the other side.

Old 30 May 2011, 02:10 AM   #9
Rowan Broadbent
Shot Down

A really great idea!

I'd also like to participate with a build of the Wingnut Wings Roland D.VIa.

When I built my 48th scale one (converted from the Blue Max D.VIb) Dan-San was enormously supportive and helpful and I know that the Roland D.VIa/b were aeroplanes for which he had a great liking. The article he co-wrote with Peter Grosz "The Benighted Rolands" was a major advance in knowledge on these aircraft at the time and an inspiration to me for the original model. As to the markings, I would like to do Otto Kissenberth's flower bedecked one (included in the kit), as I originally did in 48th scale. I don't know whether Dan-San illustrated it or not but I do know he liked the markings.

I remember him writing to me that he had some very thin plywood squirrelled away for the fuselage planking on a large scale D.VI scratch build, sadly he never got to do it but at least he got to see the WNW kit produced.

As to prizes, I'd be more than willing to contribute one or two decal sets, if that would be acceptable.
Old 30 May 2011, 03:05 AM   #10
JohnReid
Shot Down

Thumbs up

What a beautiful idea old man ! I am sure that his family will be proud that his memory will be kept alive on the Drome.