The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 31 December 1998, 05:41 AM   #1
Michael Skeet

Okay, everybody, repeat after me:

In 1999 I hereby resolve to:

1. Eliminate personal attacks from my posts. I will remove the word "you" and all of its etymological relatives from my responses. By doing so, I will avoid descending into slanging matches which only degrade myself and others.

2. Remember that "aces" comprised only a small proportion of WWI airmen. By slavishly repeating tales about these men, and by focussing relentlessly on who killed whom, I show great disrespect for the memories of those WWI flyers who did their jobs, day in and day out, without the benefit of propaganda support.

3. Not respond to, nor will I originate, any thread about Billy @#%*ing Bishop.

4. Ditto "who killed Manfred @#%*ing von Richthofen."

Let's try to remember that posting to the Forum is a privilege, and some of us at least take it seriously as a means of doing research.

Now, everybody take a Valium. Have a happy New Year, all.

Old 31 December 1998, 07:10 AM   #2
C.Grube

Good Point!!
I would also like to add that it's very difficult trying to find anyone who is interested in this subject, let alone informed. This is why I choose to interact with all of you. For the most part, the discussions are interesting, and sometimes informative. But most of all, at least for me, enjoyable....most of the time.Right up until someone starts spouting off. Remember the difference between argument and discussion!

Everone can learn something here, even me!
I make my living teaching world history, and up to just a few short years ago, made my living in aviation as a pilot and mechanic. I'm also building a Fokker triplane. Can I learn from you people? YOU BET!!

I enjoy this forum. But if the arguing and sniping continues over events than can neighther be proven or disproven to the satisfaction of everone concerned....Ill seek interaction elsewhere.It just isn't worth my time!

Sincerely
C.R.Grube

Old 31 December 1998, 08:13 AM   #3
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

I'll follow Mike's and CR's lead by vowing to initiate a scholastically beneficial, non-personality thread early in the new year (like, probably tomorrow, when I see what info I want to solicit.) LTA was a significant part of the Great War and doesn't get enough attention anymore. However, Stephanie sent me a Berlin newspaper with an article on the revival of the company, apparently for advertising use a'la the Goodyear Blimp.
Hmmm...what's that neon blinking through the Tempelhoff gloom? I can just barely make it out, crusing by at a sedate 50 knots. In red and black gothic letters it says,
"Billy Beer, the Breakfast of Canadian Champions."
Hey, would I lie to you about something that serious?
Old 31 December 1998, 02:10 PM   #4
Jeni

I will try to not stray from the subject of WW` aviation.
Jeni