The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 30 December 1998, 09:31 AM   #1
Andrew_Smith

Firstly I am not or never will be in the LOL. I don't know enough of Bishop to apply to this association, so I would not pretend to do so.

Secondly FOKKDR1 I am not paranoid, it's just everyone hates me.

Now for my question, it is not about Allied or the GAF records, but about a gentleman by the name of Colonel George Drew. In 1935 this gentleman said that Bishops raid on the GAF aerodrome was confirmed by some German pilots that were captured a few days after the raid, Al or FokkDR1 do you know anything about this claim?

In closing this thread I will get on my soap box and say that to question history is a healthy thing, however to mock and say that one aviator deserves to be hung is another, FOKKDR1 try to avoid doing what I did in the past, that is lowering the values of this Forum by attacking a fellow Forumite, use your intellegence to argue a point, remember it is a debate about Bishop and not a slanging match.

"It must in addition, be remembered that there are certain persons who take perverse pleasure in denegrating the successful." Peter Cooksley "AIR VC's of WW1."

Regards,
Andrew Smith

Old 30 December 1998, 10:36 AM   #2
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

Andrew, regarding George Drew, yes, I know of this claim, but decided against using it as it most likely would have been attacked in the same way as anything else I've presented here.

I have to add, that I am trying my hardest to refrain from using the same tactics that some on the otherside have been using, which is part of the reason for my last thread.

However, even if you don't agree with all my ideas, you can still be a member of the LoL, if you want to. Our main objective is simply to have fun. I haven't determined any secondary objectives, as the first one covers most of the good stuff.

VBR,

Al "The Joker" Lowe
Old 30 December 1998, 06:23 PM   #3
Jim 'ACE'

Al,
You'll have to take Andrew and I both as we are a pair of raiders. We fly wingman for each other and for good cause. I too was involved in what Andrew mentioned and received the same kind of treatment he has. We are both pretty much despised by some here on the forum. So where he goeth there so go I. A couple of 'wildcat' raiders you might say. But we have the where-with-all to back up what we put in print. So it's your choice.
VBR,
Jim

Old 30 December 1998, 07:52 PM   #4
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

Heck, it don't bother me. I might as well have a pair of raiders instead of just one.
Old 31 December 1998, 03:42 AM   #5
Andrew_Smith

FOKKDR1,
Your silence baffles me. Are you still active on the forum?

Anyway Happy New Year, I hope you can help me into my enquires about Bishop.

Regards,
Andrew

Old 31 December 1998, 03:44 AM   #6
Michael Skeet

In no way do I want to get involved in this imbroglio again. I should mention, though, that Drew's "Canada's Fighting Airmen" is not exactly a paragon of historical virtue. There's a lot of embellishment in the section on Barker, for example. So look on Drew as more of a well-meaning propagandist (he was writing in response to American suggestions that Canada had contributed little to the war effort) and less of a historian.

As to his veracity in this case, I'm sitting on the fence.

Old 31 December 1998, 05:50 AM   #7
FokkDR1

Dear Andrew,

Sorry I didn't respond previously. I'm still here in Vegas with a drink in one hand and a showgirl in the other. Just taking a blow.

You don't sound like a novice to me but in fact seem very well informed. Honestly, I was not aware
of this Drew report but certainly would like to read it.

In the next 48 hrs I'll try to dig up German POW's
fom June 3rd thru June 30th, 1917. We'll take a look at thier units, where they were located, and
other logistics and see if we can't come up with something.

Have a happy and safe New Year's Eve and best to you and yours in 1999.

VBR,

Dennis
FokkDR1

Old 31 December 1998, 06:04 AM   #8
FokkDr1

Enjoyed your New Years Resolution thread.

Glad you brought up Barker before I did. Someone on a Barker Jihad might take you to task. I'm sure you'd be up for it.

Happy New Year!

VBR,

FokkDR1

Old 31 December 1998, 10:35 AM   #9
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

According to my info, the article by George Drew on Billy Bishop was also published in the March 1936 issue of Popular Flying, a popular magazine in Britain at the time I believe.

The only question remaining then is did he publish it in the magazine first, or in his book?

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 31 December 1998, 10:43 AM   #10
Andrew_Smith

Al,
Would you have a copy of the article? If so is it possible to send it to me, as I have only read extracts from it in various books over the last few weeks.

Regards,
Andrew