Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 29 December 1998, 03:22 AM   #1
Billy_Bishop
Forum Ace

I think it would be best if I not post here for a while. Since some have decided to start attacking me more directly.

That will depend on my mood at the time, which at the moment has turned quite surly, so to keep from
violating the "no forum dogfight" rules I will simply not reply, except in personal email.

Scott: Please don't let this close the forum. It was bound to happen sooner or later anyway. I decided it would work better if I stopped it here and now.

To the Legion of Lowe, , Keep the faith, I'm not gone forever. "I shall return."

To those with whom I've disagreed in a friendly way, thanks for all the discussion, I hope to continue it sometime in the near future, and I am more than willing to continue it through email. I think most of you have my email address, if not it is [email protected] .

To those who decided to get a bit more personal: And you know who you are, I'll be back.

VBR to all,

Al Lowe
4-bit amateur Aviation Historian, and/or enthusiast
Unofficial Captain of the Billy Bishop Booster Bloc

VBR to all,

Al Lowe
-Marcus Cole, Anla'shok. Babylon 5
Sponsored Links
Old 29 December 1998, 06:13 AM   #2
FokkDR1

Dear Al,

I seem to have offended your delicate sensibilities! The same guy you've charged with libel, slander, and defamation of character responds with a good natured barb, and you take your ball and go home. Quite frankly I'm not suprised. I thought you were man enough to take as good as you give but as you've so eloquently stated on the Forum previously, I've been wrong before.

I for one am overcome by grief at the thought of not seeing yor threads on the Forum for any extended length of time. Please don't punish the
LOL for my transgressions. They need you!

As for your return, there can be no doubt. Some morning you'll take off on you high horse and strafe some unsuspecting WWI forum, claim three scouts and a 2-seater down, hedgehop home, and submit your report to the LOL. You'll receive the
the LOL Cross with Oak Leaves and Clusters and the rest of us will be chharged with the responsibilty of proving it never happened.

Scott, I know I'm the new kid on the block and that I'll take the flak, I've got broad shoulders.
You've got a great web-site and it SHOULD be friendly. I'm done with Bishop threads.

VBR,

DEnnis Macklin

Old 29 December 1998, 07:27 AM   #3
Michael Dailey

FokkDrI,

Sorry but I missed the post where Al charged you with libel, slander and defamation of character.
I do recall him saying that if Cowan had made his
movie while Bishop was alive he would have most likely been sued for libel. Regardless of whether Cowan is right or not I also think it is likely he would have been sued had Bishop been alive. I think it is quite a stretch taking that statement as some sort of personal attack. I, like you, personally consider Bishops record suspect, especially when compared to that of someone like McCudden, but I see no need to attack the individual defending Bishop. Perhaps your jibes are good natured but they just do not come across as good natured when I read them. Forgive me if I misinterpret them but they impress me as personal attacks rather than good natured jests. I do not see Al responding to you in the same manner, unless of course, I missed the post where he charged you with libel, slander, and defamation of character.

Regards,

MDD

Old 29 December 1998, 07:42 AM   #4
Leo Sweeney

I am a newcomer to this website. I do not know the manner of the personal attacks you have been subjected to, but would hope that you would reconsider suspending your participation on the Forum. I have enjoyed the discussions about Bishop and presume others did as well. Some excellent points have been made by a number of contributors. It is exactly because there is a scarcity of evidence that the argument can run on so. I sincerely beg you to reconsider and ask those who may have attacked you personally to do the same.

Best wishes

leo

Old 29 December 1998, 07:55 AM   #5
Vickers

Don't go Al. Stay in the ring. Just both you and FOKK DR1. No hitting below the belt.

Old 29 December 1998, 08:01 AM   #6
john g

As a newcomer to the forum I'd like to second Leo's comments. I have enjoyed reading the debates from people who passionately care about history. I've been following for some weeks and don't see anything too personal - though there are things said that could easily be taken the wrong way. This is a rare sight - learning occurs, we newcomers benefit from the wisdom and debate of many of you experts and can occasionally throw our two cents in when applicable - or when our expanding areas of expertise come into play. Both Al and FokDRI I have enjoyed thoroughly and it has encouraged me to go do a bunch of research on this question and others. Please keep it up - don't quit and try to remember despite the differences it is a rare thing indeed today to share this passion for the men and machines of a rapidly ending age !

John G.
In short - keep fighting - don't get toooo polite, but remember what we all share.

Old 29 December 1998, 11:49 AM   #7
rudder

I for one have felt that Al was personally attacked for his defense (a good one I might add) and that he should not have to tolorate them. I too feel that Bishop was slandered and that he made no claims that he didn't feel justified to doing. If he saw a plane go down even if it landed he should make the claim. Most of his claims were behind enemy lines so a downed damaged plane could very possibly been repaired and flown again and I feel people have a right to their oppinion but don't speak badly of a Nat'l Hero that can't defend his honour. Al, I respect the work you have done and keep it up so let me know when you have more proof to put these Doubting Thomas' in their place!

Old 29 December 1998, 12:13 PM   #8
Billy_Bishop
Forum Ace

First, I WILL be back. I just have to take a short break before I do something really rash.

As for my supposed accusing anyone here of Libel, I was simply commenting on what the Canadian Senate said regarding libel, Paul Cowan, The Kid Who Couldn't Miss, and that as Bishop was dead, his family couldn't sue. Personally, I think that's too bad, they most likely would have won.

And finally, the above example is NOT the first time that people have put words in my mouth, or totally ignored things that I've said. Fine, so be it. I simply refuse to be driven to personal attacks in my defence.

Besides, I have to go see a man about some combat reports.

Later,

Al Lowe
-Marcus Cole, Anla'shok. Babylon 5
Old 29 December 1998, 01:22 PM   #9
Rittm
Scout Pilot

Al,
Please don't go away. I know what it's like to be attacked personally. I'm no longer allowed to be me! I think you have shown lots of courage in defending your Billy Bishop. As for the contents of the arguments in the past threads, I don't follow them too closely because I don't know enough about Bishop to have an intelligent comment to add to the threads. Though I have noticed that some of them have been rather harsh. Some may think that they have defeated me, but I have been working on my own webpage! And if you want to see what kind of person I was....Heheh. I think if anyone who argues with you and takes the time to see the page that you have dedicated to Bishop, they would realize that your heart is in your defense of the man, and making harsh statements will only prove to be hurtful. Making bold statements over the Internet is quite easy. About 99% of the stuff that was written to me would have not been said to my face. That's probably true for you too. Al, don't go away.

Rittm
Manfred von Richthofen whether you like it or not.
Old 29 December 1998, 01:47 PM   #10
JimR

Wow, this is bad. I had hinted prev.,(I thought , with a humorous touch),that "cant we put this to sleep"regarding the Bishop threads...I had noticed a 'bad turn' in discussion character, and that was my weak attempt to ward off something like this..... OK TROOPS, LETS REVIEW, SHALL WE?=this forum is for rational discussion and interchange of ideas regarding a subject we all love, WW1 aviation. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR PERSONAL ATTACKS. I could have sworn we covered this recently. Really, it just galls me to see a quality, entertaining, rational contributor to this site think he has to leave it due to such rancor. This aint the House of Representatives,guys. If you have well thought out input, (like Al always does....BTW, I dont agree with some of his stuff,BUT I RESPECT IT BECAUSE ITS COHERENT AND LOGICAL!!!), put it in: if you are strafing , strafe elsewhere. Al- I beg you to stay on.