Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 23 December 1998, 11:40 AM   #1
Maxwell Crestborne

Apart from the 3D-support provided by the new version of Red Baron, how do the two sims compare? I am especially interested to hear from pilots, especially any with biplane time, as to their view of the resp sims flight models and how realistic they are.

Old 23 December 1998, 01:35 PM   #2
rudder

The flight model and visibility suck on both games . A much better WW1 sim is the on line game from SIMGUILD. 'FLYING CIRCUS' is great fun . I have been online with as many as 70 people at same time and vis and flight models are very good. It cost only $10 a month for 40 hours and if you go over the 40 (which I doubt) it is .25 cents an hour over. Try it as the first 3 hours is FREE.
cya there.
Lt.Rudder, RFC

Old 23 December 1998, 02:04 PM   #3
JimR

Seems like a good time to 'fess up...contrary to the overwhelming opinion on this subject in this forum, I like "Flying Corps" better. I have both sims,if yer wondering. True, flying corps took 1)much patch application 2)much tweaking to run right....but the result is amazing,and undoubtedly(to me) has much better graphics and smooth flying.Less choices of planes to fly, though...but so what.Sounds better too. I'm not an expert by any means on flight characteristics, but FC matches what Ive heard on this forum pretty well. (Attention Red Baronites!!!! Hey, I like it too, really!...but have always been a sucker for cool visual input.)

Old 23 December 1998, 02:48 PM   #4
Billy_Bishop
Forum Ace

Well, I'm not a pilot, though I am a virtual pilot. I've played RB3D and FCG, and frankly, I prefer RB3D. The graphics are better, and with the last patch, the flight model seems better too.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm afraid that's all you're gonna get is different opinions from different people.

RB3D also has a better career mode than FCG, and you can play with up to 127 other people for free in the MMP mode.

VBR,

Al Lowe
4-bit amateur aviation historian and/or enthusiast
one of the many nameless/faceless RB3D playtesters
-Marcus Cole, Anla'shok. Babylon 5
Old 23 December 1998, 05:08 PM   #5
Lou Logan

I must agree with Al, I have both games and in my opinion, Red Baron 3D is much better. FCG didn't run very well on my computer. Also, if you like to play online, Red Baron 3D is free and works pretty good. There is always people flying and the limit is 64 per server. There are many servers so you can play different types of games. The campaign system in RB 3D is also better than FCG.

Old 23 December 1998, 10:18 PM   #6
Chris Spellman

I own both games so this one is easy: Flying Corps sucks. Apart from being the most poorly written program I have ever bought, the flight model is nowhere near that of RB2/3D. I do like the terrain graphics at high altitudes a bit more in FCG but the game is so full of bugs it isn't worth playing. I tried to return it for a refund but the store I bought it at refused. I bought RBII back in March and STILL never get tired of it! It has a few bugs of it's own but the flight model is far superior to that of FCG and everything from the great sound fx to the mission editor/builder are better programmed. I am frothing at the mouth for another WWI sim. I understand a new one called Dawn of Aces is out but don't know much about it other than it is optimized for on-line play which doesn't appeal to me that much (having a puny 28.8 modem).

Old 24 December 1998, 05:12 AM   #7
Jim R

As I suspected!!!-I may be the only person on the planet who likes FCG! I often wonder, given the level of passion about the comparison,if we are looking at the same games.Oh well,to each his own.However you manage the sims, remember to check six....Happy flying.

Old 24 December 1998, 05:13 AM   #8
Jim R

PS-Chris S.-was your message really posted at 4AM??? get some sleep,man!

Old 24 December 1998, 06:53 AM   #9
Chris Spellman

Jim,

Well, 4 AM is relative. If you are on the east coast it was 1 AM my time! Funny thing, I was awake because I was playing RB3D all night!

Old 24 December 1998, 07:33 AM   #10
Vic_Mouton
Two-seater Pilot

What's really nice in RB3D is the abillity to use a graphics program to realy paint your kite. Ever seen a D3 decked out in the colours of Erich Hartmann?