The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 21 December 1998, 02:25 PM   #1
Dan F

I have read that Roy Brown's squadron mates hung
the baron's dead body above hangar.I believe the
book was a biography written by Nicholas Wright.
if this is true it really pisses my off and I just
want to confirm it.Beacuse If it is true I will most likely do nothing,because praobly all of Brown's squadron is dead.

Old 21 December 1998, 02:33 PM   #2
Michael Dailey

I don't know of any reputable source that says anyone gave MvRs body the 'Mussolini Treatment'

Regards,

MDD

Old 21 December 1998, 02:52 PM   #3
DanF

Hahaha LoL

Old 21 December 1998, 03:21 PM   #4
mike_baram
Rest in Peace

I fail to see any humor in this latest display of immaturity.
Old 21 December 1998, 04:48 PM   #5
Rittm
Scout Pilot

I guess that would have been one heck of a trophy.
Rittm
Old 21 December 1998, 04:49 PM   #6
Butler

Wow! What a crock of crap! First of all, Brown's squadron never HAD the body (the Australians did--who shot him down in the first place!!), and secondly, even if they DID have his body, such an outragous display of disrespect would never have been contemplated upon MvR. He was deeply respected on BOTH sides!!

'Butler'

Old 22 December 1998, 12:01 AM   #7
Brad King

I beg to differ, Butler, but only slightly. In the evening of the Great Day, controversy was already abroad as to who shot him down. Apparently at the evenings celebratory dinner in the mess the issue was settled by the no doubt well oiled assembly by getting MvR's body from the morgue and placing him in a chair. The wounds were then examined by placing RAF wires therein to establish the angle of entry. MvR was given a drink and then pout back. The body was on site. I thought ( and correct me by all means)it was taken to Poulanville which is the East aerodrome of Bertangles by another name. The story was told to a young RAF officer at a dinner in the mid thirties by some chap who'd been there. I've got a copy of the letter somewhere.

Brad

Old 22 December 1998, 02:20 AM   #8
Les

Brad - thats news to me.
It is my understanding that when the body was recovered, it was taken to the 53rd Battery line
at first and was then sent to No.3 Squadron at
Poulainville. The only time Brown was any where near MvR's body was when he went to the front and
interviewed some of the officers of the 53rd Battery. A Major Beavis refused to accept Brown's claim, stating that he believed his own men had gotten him or that some other shot from the ground got him.
As far as I can tell, at no time did MvR spend any time in the company of Brown and co at their
squadron. He was under guard from the time his body was recovered to the time that he was buried!
Guys - please correct me in I am in error here!

Les

PS-All of you please have a happy and a safe Xmas.
Don't drink and drive-you might spill some! )))

Old 22 December 1998, 02:23 AM   #9
Les

An added message to Dan F.
I think I know what the F stands for - F***wit!

Have a nice day Dan....

Les

Old 22 December 1998, 04:01 AM   #10
Brad
Forum Ace of Aces

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean that MvR was with 209 BUT if he was at Poulanville with 3AFC then they were on the same airfield. Poulainville was the name given to the old East airfield of Bertangles as it falls into the parish district of Poulanville not Bertangles. The village is way off from Bertangles but I suspect the name was changed when the Australians moved in, but I don't really know why. Be that as it may, 209 were a short walk away on the other side of the field. I can't believe they stayed away. As for the body being guarded - well that's the official story. Are you really going to argue with a bunch of officers at midnight especially if they give you a bottle of beer? After all they were only borrowing him. And I believe the MO was in on it for a (bleary) medical opinion. The "official story" was that the germans bracketted the Triplane with shells. Why? Why risk killing the pilot? More like the Aussies needed an excuse for the state of the aircraft which landed intact and ended up looking as though it HAD been shelled!! So much for the official line. It sounds more than pausable to me. I've heard stories about what went on elsewhere and at other times that would make your hair curl like shaking hands with a German corpse sticking out of the trench for luck or sneaking over to the German lines at night and putting explosives in German latrines and watching the first in get blown sky-high for a laugh. Oh the callousness of youf!
As 3 AFC RE8 gunners had had a squirt at MvR earlier in the day then there must have been a hell of a party especially if it was thought that fellow aussies had brought him down.

Anyway enough from me ! Cheers, Brad

PS I wonder what Dan F was going to do to a veteran who had hung MvR's body up? Go and beat him up? As if the vet would give a ****

No war for environmentalists! Drill here!

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker