The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Replica Aircraft

Replica Aircraft Topics related to the construction of WWI replica aircraft

Old 31 March 2015, 06:20 AM   #1
N28
Forum Ace

Culpeper Nieuport

The 28 can finally hold itself up.

Sharp eyes will note a support under the tail 'cause we have yet to figure out the tailwheel spring attach.

"The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly". Len Morgan

"Any flyin' job's better than any non-flyin' job." Lloyd Baker
N28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 31 March 2015, 05:32 PM   #2
RobW
Forum Ace

Looks great!

I'm not sure how you attached your photo... but if you paste the IMG code from Photobucket directly into the body of your message... it makes for a larger photo... and makes it easier on lousy eyesight like mine... for example:

rob

In the air, over there...

RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 03:07 PM   #3
N28
Forum Ace

Posted the PB thumbnail link. Habit from another forum I belong to.

Thanks for the compliment.

"The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly". Len Morgan

Old 1 April 2015, 09:00 PM   #4
sator
Forum Ace

Nice photo, thanks for sharing your work.
Old 2 April 2015, 05:42 AM   #5
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Tom, it looks like you went with the flat bottom airfoil. Did you have any problem fitting the rear spar?

Dale

ps: looks real nice
Old 2 April 2015, 12:06 PM   #6
N28
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmaker View Post
Tom, it looks like you went with the flat bottom airfoil. Did you have any problem fitting the rear spar?

Dale

ps: looks real nice
Thanks Dale.
Everyone should know the airplane is the effort of three people. We collaborate on everything from floor sweeping to airfoil selection. Because of this we are having more fun than should be legal.

The bottom rear spars were shifted slightly to keep them within the confines of the 11% Clark Y we chose. The Clark Y also allowed the front spar rib attach specified by Robert to be retained.

The airfoil change was discussed with Robert. The airfoil chosen reduced structural changes to an absolute minimum.

Old 3 April 2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Dart
Forum Ace

On my N11 the bottom of the airfoil is pretty much flat as well (by the plans), probably owing to the smaller size.

I had to dent in the tubing on one side to make it flow over the rear spar, something Robert warned was probable.

One of the real suprises on building is how much fun it's been.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2015, 09:26 AM   #8
N28
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
On my N11 the bottom of the airfoil is pretty much flat as well (by the plans), probably owing to the smaller size.

I had to dent in the tubing on one side to make it flow over the rear spar, something Robert warned was probable.

One of the real suprises on building is how much fun it's been.
Two (each side) top wing tip ribs required their bottom capstrip to be flattened.
I expect the bottom wing tip ribs will require same. The flattened section of the cap was weakened and so required a new bracket to carry the load across the rear spar.
The wings in the photo lack tips, we are just finishing the first upper tip now.
We added 1 rib to each tip to match the 1918 airplane and all tip ribs were proportionally reduced in thickness from last full rib to tip bow to provide for a more visually pleasing transition to the tip bow. We will extend the leading edge skin to the full span of the wing again, for looks.

Old 20 April 2015, 09:02 AM   #9
N28
Forum Ace

One of the first bits of building advice we received was from Bruce Mundie. He warned of vibration and cutter grabbing problems when coping the tubes for the Baslee fuselage construction. It is essential that the relationship between the tube and cutter be as rigid as possible.
To achieve this we first purchased the tool known as a the " O'l joint jigger". Nice tool, and I would recommend it, but the clamp is designed for steel tube, not the small diameter Baslee tubing. Team member Bill's solution to clamping securely while not marring the tubes (some were pre-painted) was to lathe turn a nylon block round to fit the jigger's clamp. The nylon block was bored out to fit the various tube sizes, split with a saw and cut to a length of approx. 8". We now could safely and securely clamp the tube into the jigger. Very rigid, absolutely no grab or chatter, and no chance of damaging the tube.

We used a 1/2" capacity, variable speed Milwaukee drill and cutters through the joint jigger web site. The key to the cutters are lots of teeth with minimal set. These cutters are typically crude tools and are a challenge to use so select carefully. Fast cutter RPM with a slow feed rate seemed to work best, especially when withdrawing the cutter as this would polish the cut. Gum turpentine was used as a cutting fluid. Works good, smells great.

If you buy the jigger tool order a second shaft bushing. We wore ours out part way through the wing build. You don't want the shaft thrashing around as it makes things difficult.

Here is a photo of the set up.

And result:

Last edited by N28; 20 April 2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 20 April 2015, 09:31 AM   #10
Bookmaker
Forum Ace

Superb fit. I like the nylon holding block idea.

What brand cutting bits did you use. I have several the cut nicely, but the tooth count does not appear as high as what you are using.

Dale