The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Topics related to WWI aviation authors, books and magazines

Closed Thread

Old 19 August 2016, 01:01 PM   #1
await
Forum Ace

L'Aéronautique Militaire, by Philippe Jourdan

I've always been fascinated by the highly artistic squadron insignias of the French air service in World War I. So I was very happy when, some years ago, I was able to add Les escadrilles de l'aéronautique militaire françaises: symbolique et histoire, 1912-1920, produced by the SHAA, to my library.

Now I've placed Phillipe Jourdan's L'Aéronautique Militaire 1914-1918: Tradition & Héraldique next to this volume on my bookshelf. This privately printed paperback also provides comprehensive illustrated coverage of unit markings of the escadrilles of the French air service up till the time of the Armistice, but does so at a substantially lower price.

One can order the book by e-mailing Phillipe Jourdan at [email protected]. There is more than one way of paying for the book, but I just sent him 35 € (according to the exchange rate that day, that meant $39.41) via Paypal, transferring the funds via his e-mail address. That price included shipping. The cheapest price I have found for the SHAA book is 77 €, postage not included. The French branch of Amazon is offering it at 486 €! The book was dispatched to me very quickly.

I should point out that the SHAA book is hardcover with about 600 pages and has a lot of photographs, in addition to lists of the units' airfield locations, commanding officers, and other details. Phillipe's book is a paperback of 117 pages, made with semi-gloss paper for high quality reproduction of photographs and illustrations. Unlike the SHAA book, it is also bi-lingual (French and English).

While it doesn't have as many photos and some of the described information of the SHAA book, it does include a bit more information, at times accompanied by further illustrations, regarding the origins of the unit insignias. All of the anecdotes and cultural notes add a nice touch of color evoking some of the personality of the individual escadrilles.

Another important point is that Phillipe's book is more than just a catalog of unit insignia. It begins with a brief history of the Aviation Militaire during WWI, and interspersed through the text are some vignettes concerning some personalities and some units. So this, combined with the information provided under the different unit headings, lends more substance to the work.

One other feature accompanying the illustrations are icons indicating the source for the information used. This is an indication of Philippe's concern for verifying the authenticity of the illustrations. I'm attaching scans of both the key to the icons and a sample escadrille, SPA 155. The description of this particular unit includes a color profile by Alan Toelle. There a few other such illustrations in the book.

I think this is a very welcome addition to some other recent books on the French air service (Kings of the Air, by Ian Sumner, the translation of Vital Ferry's French Aviation During the First World War, and René Martel's French Strategic and Tactical Bombardment Forces of World War I, amongst others)—a topic deserving more coverage!

(Note: I had wanted to add this post to a previous thread on the topic, but it disappeared before I had a chance to do so.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L'Aéronautique Militaire 1.jpg (157.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg L'Aéronautique Militaire 2.jpg (136.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg L'Aéronautique Militaire 3.jpg (157.7 KB, 77 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 24 August 2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Philippe JOURDAN
Two-seater Pilot

Thank you Adam to have re-opened this page and your analysis... that reassures me because you confirm me that my book is clear and that I did the mission.

Just a few additions and a few extra comments...

So, on August 2, 1914, the France had 23 for 138 aircraft squadrons, four years later, they are 619 squadrons that have been created "organically" for 371 operational units and more than 54,000 aircraft will have been built...

In fact, beyond the corpus of badges, it is the story of the birth of the french military aviation, our future 'weapon' of the air, I tells in this book through the evolutions of this conflict, by his dates, his fights, both in ministries in the staffs on the fronts, those of officers, corporals in their squadrons, essential basic unit of this nascent aviation.

I also tells how the squadron has created his signature... this brand, which will be an expression of his character, his personality, that of a leader, an ACE, created opportunities, humor, a word game, an anecdote, a drama or by derision... Dozens of "stories" that will be founding of the squadron badge, fleet and that will forever mark our air forces...

... because they were the first... and I think that there is today a U.S. squadron that flies with a Sioux on its flanks... as there is also today a French squadron that flies with the same head of Sioux on his drift...

For each squadron of this book, and so far as it is known, "seen by me" and verified as being carried to November 11, 1918, I give an original drawing (my drawings+and Cedrick The computer Artist) its genesis, "her why and his comments", its name changes and their effect intakes.

This book is widely illustrated and punctuated anecdotes and comments, for example what was a DCA-squadron , the why of the coastal squadrons... the reality of a real war in North Africa, not to mention the warlike escapades of Gabrielle D'Annunzio or how a Seminole Indian became a proud Lakota Warrior... thanks to a riffles-manufacturer... and a few others.

Document essential and largely updated, it will find a privileged and indispensable place in your library of aerophile because it is a relay book... the book of SHD/SHAA to the next that I will succeed... in 10 years or more...

... and then I thought has an idea, if I found a new badge, the confirmation of an insignia currently in "stand-by" in my files... I'll do a sticker, a sticker that I will send to the people who would have bought me this book and I will email address... why not ?

With a modern, clear and well illustrated page setting, this book is perfectly bilingual, french & English and rest assured, this isn't me who has translated this book... I know my English is deplorable... and I thank the members of "The Aerodrome" who bought it, to come and testify here that the English translation is excellent... my friends translators are experienced professionals and flight... Thanks to them.

And if you order me, don't forget to tell me that you are a "member of The airfield"... because I always add a small gift to the members of "The Aerodrome"... This is a site I visit always, for a long time and for which I have a special affection... (besides they do not criticize my bad English)

Please ask me questions... by the Forum, by email or by my mail [email protected]

Thank you for reading.

Philippe.
Old 22 September 2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Philippe JOURDAN
Two-seater Pilot

Good evening, this post, is a connection with the topic of Dog of War...

I would like to just make a connection between my topic on "l'Aéronautique Militaire 1914-1918" and the topic of Dog of War "Anyone know of any French WW1 pilot" to just clarify that in my book, I present not only that squadron insignias... but that I mentioned and talks many pilots, as Paul Gignoux, Jeanjean, Léon Bourjade (Padre and pilot with... 28 wins...) and many others, who, if they do not have the glory of a Guynemer or a Fonck; they did no less courage... that I talk about the crews of coastal squadrons... war in in Maghreb... "Escadrilles DCA"... etc... There's also a "second Squadron American... The N 471, I say a few words... I say more on the Lafayette, it was the squadron where are born the American pilots... etc...

Because this air war was not only those of the ACEs, this was especially those young men barely 20 years old, who had not asked to come to war to die... and then the ACE... of talent, luck... but also some Janus... such legends, history had sometimes 2 faces... Who would dare talk about the last fight of Guynemer?... let the legend as it is... "He fell out of the sky with glory" it is better... "C'est mieux ainsi...."

My book is not a simple catalogue of badges... is also the history of the creation of the War in the Air. and it is also in perfect English... (not mine, sorry)
Old 23 September 2016, 08:24 PM   #4
ercoupepilot
Two-seater Pilot

I ordered my copy last week...

Paid with PayPal on Monday and book arrived by end of week. Very easy transaction and a great book.

Thanks,
Ryan in Madison, WI
Old 24 September 2016, 09:49 PM   #5
ONEALM
Forum Ace of Aces

Contributor

My Gallery
It bears saying that it is an excellent job by Philippe and a great compliment to any library. As Philippe pointed out, it's more than a survey of Escadrille insignia, it's insight into the formation of the Service Aeronautique at a high level and a look at the inspirations and in some cases creative design for the insignia - all of which I find extraordinarily interesting.

Join the League of World War One Aviation Historians - and receive 4 issues of "Over the Front".

Visit us at :
http://overthefront.com/

And be sure to visit -
Visit
www.goldenageair.org
Old 19 October 2016, 12:37 PM   #6
swineorama
Observer

I too ordered thru Paypal, just arrived today, this is a must have if you love French WWI insignia. Can't wait to dig into it tonight.

Thanks Philippe for an excellent work.
Old 16 November 2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Philippe JOURDAN
Two-seater Pilot

Raoul Lufbery...

Last edited by Philippe JOURDAN; 16 November 2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Erratum est...
Old 16 November 2016, 08:59 AM   #8
Philippe JOURDAN
Two-seater Pilot

Bonsoir from France,

Excuse me for this 'empty' post... it is the confirmation that I'm very bad with computers and... and I don't know how to put a picture in a "post"... Sorry.

A friend do it for me, and I will comment this picture after...
Old 16 November 2016, 09:20 AM   #9
CjBobrow
Arbeitsflieger

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe JOURDAN View Post
Bonsoir from France,

Excuse me for this 'empty' post... it is the confirmation that I'm very bad with computers and... and I don't know how to put a picture in a "post"... Sorry.

A friend do it for me, and I will comment this picture after...
And here it comes...

Last edited by CjBobrow; 16 November 2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 16 November 2016, 09:24 AM   #10
CjBobrow
Arbeitsflieger

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjBobrow View Post
And here it is!
Philippe bonne journée à toi ...
Je te remercie pour ton image, c'est un magnifique document dessin. Je suis intéressé par la réaction des lecteurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raoul & le Book....jpg (160.9 KB, 22 views)
Closed Thread