The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Topics related to WWI aviation authors, books and magazines

Closed Thread

Old 28 April 2017, 07:13 AM   #1
JCalvert
Observer

Books on Artillery Observation

I'm about to start writing a paper on the importance artillery spotting aircraft during the Great War and wondered if you gentlemen could point me towards some books or magazines that detail the methods employed and how they evolved over the course of the war?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old 28 April 2017, 01:02 PM   #2
MikeMeech
Forum Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCalvert View Post
I'm about to start writing a paper on the importance artillery spotting aircraft during the Great War and wondered if you gentlemen could point me towards some books or magazines that detail the methods employed and how they evolved over the course of the war?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi

What kind of detail do you want to go into? Is it all nations or are you just limiting to particular ones?

Most 'general' books on WW1 aviation will have some coverage. The 'official histories' will have more, for the British six volumes of 'War in the Air'. For the US (and French methods) 'The US Air Service in World War 1' by Maurer Maurer. Also 'The German Air Force in the Great War' by Neuman (you may well find all or some of these on-line.
Peter Mead's 'The Eye in the Air' covers artillery spotting in both world wars. E R Hooton's 'War over the Trenches' covers support for the ground troops, including artillery, for all sides on the western front 1916-1918.
There are many other books that will cover some aspects of this subject. However, if you want to cover the development of 'artillery spotting' in detail from 1914-1918 you would really have to go into the documents produced at the time, as I said depends on the detail you want to cover (not to mention balloon use), it is a very big and interesting subject.

Mike
Old 28 April 2017, 04:16 PM   #3
JCalvert
Observer

In general mostly. I'm writing a research paper to contribute to a video project. The video that gets made from this paper will be probably about 10 to 15 minutes in length so I won't be able to get overly detailed. But, that said, I do want to cover how it began, how it changed after wireless telegraphy was introduced, and maybe a couple exemples of battles where it possibly made a difference in the outcome of said battles.
Old 4 May 2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Dave_Kent
Forum Ace of Aces

Hi:

I can offer up 4 titles as a start

EYE IN THE SKY 1918 by Philip Townsend
THE HAWKS THAT GUIDED THE GUNS by Lawrence Smart
OBSERVER by A. J. Insall
THE DIARY OF A P.B.O. by Frank J. Shrive

Dave
Old 9 May 2017, 10:37 AM   #5
dpolglaze
Forum Ace

Harold Porter's book Aerial Observation has a nice section on artillery observation, plus sections on training and an overview on the development of aerial observation.
Old 13 May 2017, 03:16 PM   #6
JCalvert
Observer

Thanks a bunch, I'll look into these!
Old 28 May 2017, 01:13 AM   #7
Pedro Ramis
Scout Pilot

Hello,

check the link in this post, free online histories a few clicks away ;-)
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64598
Only the Australian history is broken...
Nice reading
Old 28 May 2017, 06:31 AM   #8
RHWinter
Two-seater Pilot

More hopefully here:

http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/search/?fq[query]=Aircraft%2C+Reconnaissance+and+Bomber
LEE B. KENNETT, The First Air War 1914–1918, New York 1991
JOHN W. MORROW Jr., The Great War in the Air. Military Aviation from 1909 to 1921, Washington 1993
ERNST HOEPPNER, Deutschlands Krieg in der Luft, Leipzig 1921
HERMANN CRON, Geschichte des Deutschen Heeres im Weltkriege 1914–1918, Berlin 1937

Good Luck!
Closed Thread