Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1998

1998 Closed threads from 1998 (read only)

Old 2 October 1998, 07:08 AM   #1
Julie Moore

Somewhere in this labyrinth a few days ago I saw something about a Canadian documentary on Roy Brown and how controversial it was. Does anyone know where I could find that info so I could revisit it for a college paper I am doing on the Red Baron and who actually brought him down? Thank you very much.

Old 2 October 1998, 07:28 AM   #2
Mark

Julie

Keep hitting the 'View previous 25' button at the bottom of this page until you get back to the September 10 thread titled 'Who really killed MvR?'. I like to think that my response to this question (the first response listed) is the best answer to this question, but don't we all think that we know best?

Old 2 October 1998, 08:07 AM   #3
Julie Moore

Mark: Thank you for your prompt reply. I am still searching though for info on the Canadian documentary about Roy Brown that was so controversial they had to take it off the air up there. It was a most interesting bit of info and I can't remember where I found it in this maze!! It couldn't have been very far back as I only found this this week and was not astute enough to copy it off at the time. Thanks again.

Old 2 October 1998, 08:26 AM   #4
Shooter
Senior Gunfighter

Contributor

While all of the evidence rages against me, I still want to believe that Arthur "Roy" Brown in fact was the guy who lit up MvR.

I know all of the arguments, and I know that not even Captain Brown thinks it was he who racked up the Baron, but damn it, this WAS von Richthofen, not some rook out on his first sortie.

I am not a snob, and I understand well the view from the mud, but MvR should have been bagged by another flier, and not by a ground-pounder.
Old 2 October 1998, 08:31 AM   #5
Billy_Bishop
Forum Ace

It wasn't about Brown. It was the other "B" pilot, Billy Bishop. The movie was called "The Kid Who Couldn't Miss". The Canadian Senate held a series of hearings on the movie, and though they didn't censor it (although a lot of people wanted them too), they did have it reclassified a "docu-drama" with a disclaimer attached. It came out in 1982.

If you want more info, I suggest you check out the following URL

http://www.billybishop.net/bishop.html

You will find a wealth of info there on the subject as well as Billy Bishop himself. And Yes, it's MY website, and I expect to be adding even more to it.

Just for you info. It was only shown in Canada once that I know of. You can still get a copy from the NFB, but it hasn't been shown on Canadian TV since, and to my knowledge, Paul Cowan (the producer) hasn't made any films since either.

Best Regards,

Al Lowe 'Honourary Canadian Citizen'
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength. "
-Billy Bishop
-Marcus Cole, Anla'shok. Babylon 5
Old 2 October 1998, 08:33 AM   #6
Billy_Bishop
Forum Ace

Hi Shooter,
I understand that MvR's family prefer's to think that Brown did it as well. Guess it's that "class" thing, eh?
(I have to end questions with "eh", it's a condition of being an honourary Canuck.

As for me, well, there's just enough doubt that I'm willing to consider that Brown has a chance of being the one to do the deed.

Best Regards,

Al Lowe 'Honourary Canadian Citizen'
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength. "
-Billy Bishop
-Marcus Cole, Anla'shok. Babylon 5
Old 2 October 1998, 08:53 AM   #7
Vickers

Sometimes history doesn't turn out the way we want it to.

Old 2 October 1998, 09:31 AM   #8
Julie Moore

A thousand thank-you's. I had backtracked to Billy Bishop and didn't look close enough as I didn't think he was the one. Next time I shall pay more attention! All the answers are a wonderful source anyway for my paper. I only hope my professor agrees. This is terrific. Thanks again.

Julie Moore
Grand State of Maine

Old 2 October 1998, 09:58 AM   #9
Manfred Wendel

I'm with Shooter... Billy Bishop, Ray Collishaw and several others expressed their opinions on who shot down the Baron. I'd prefer to believe Brown's peers rather than the armchair detectives.

Old 2 October 1998, 10:03 AM   #10
Mark

Manfred:

For your information, Collishaw stated exactly the opposite of what you claim -- he recounted how he visited with Brown a day or two after April 21 and stated that Brown "looked an awful mess". He went on to say that Brown never claimed von Richthofen and that he (Collishaw) felt that the von R affair had been foisted upon Brown by the media.