The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 28 December 1999, 04:17 AM   #1
Graham

I'm interested in finding books on, or with significant portions dedicated to, British Empire aces. Mannock, McCudden, Bishop, Barker, and Collishaw are all relatively easy to come by, so I don't need those. I'm interested in MacLaren and McKeever in particular, along with Ball and others.

Thanks,
Graham Cox

Old 28 December 1999, 04:19 AM   #2
Graham

PS - I'm most interested in biographies and autobiographies, but other reference material with, say a chapter on a pilot, might "do" too.

Thanks again,
Graham

Old 28 December 1999, 10:02 AM   #3
Ron_F
Forum Ace

Graham,
I wouldnt say those books you listed were 'easy' to come by, it took me a month or more for several of those listed to get! Barker being the exception. And i still havent found Collinshaws book either.
'Albert Ball VC' by chaz bowyer seems to be a good one. Believe i got that through the stone and stone search u can find in the book section of the Aerodrome. Believe its Jerboa Redcap Books, Hightstown NJ. (609) 443 3817.

Hope that helps.
Ron F.
Old 28 December 1999, 10:11 AM   #4
Graham

I got Collishaw's book via the "Advanced Book Exchange" on the internet ... it was a little pricey, though.

Graham

Old 29 December 1999, 12:02 AM   #5
Hugh A. Halliday

Edmund Cosgrove, CANADA'S FIGHTING PILOTS (Toronto, Clarke Irwin, 1965); W. Brian Costello, A NURSERY OF AN AIR FORCE (Carleton Place, Forest Beauty Products, 1979); John Norman Harris, KNIGHTS OF THE AIR: CANADIAN ACES IN WORLD WAR ONE (Toronto, Macmillan, 1958); Dan McCaffery, AIR ACES: THE LIVES AND TIMES OF TWELVE CANADIAN FIGHTER PILOTS (Toronto, J. Lorimer, 1990); S.F. Wise, CANADIAN AIRMEN AND THE FIRST WORLD WAR (Toronto, University of Toronto Press, 1982). A magazine entitled WINGS IN SPACE (now defunct) carried many articles of lesser known Canadian aces during the first half of the 1960s. The JOURNAL OF THE CANADIAN AVIATION HISTORICAL SOCIETY (still in existance - check their web page) still carries the odd article on First World War pilots; in the period 1964-1972 it had such an article in almost every issue, thanks to the contributions of the late Harry Creagen. A forthcoming book by Larry Milberry (rough working title, RCAF 2000) will have a substantial amount of new material on lesser known aircrew of the First World War; you might write Milberry at 51 Balsam Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4E 3B6. For persons interested in the Canadian military (land, sea and air) a valuable reference book would be by Owen Cooke, THE CANADIAN MILITARY EXPERIENCE 1867-1995: A BIBLIOGRAPHY (third edition, published 1997 by the Department of National Defence, 101 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, K1A 0K2.

Old 29 December 1999, 02:59 PM   #6
Darryl
Forum Ace

For excellent 1st hand accounts I would add:

Sagitarius Rising by Cecil Lewis
No Parachute by A. G. Lee
Wings Over the Somme by G.H. Lewis

regards

Darryl

Old 30 December 1999, 11:17 AM   #7
Andrew_Smith

For books on Australian Flying Corps pilots;

High Adventure - Arthur Cobby.
From Khaki to Blue - Ray Brownell.
From Private to Air Marshall - George Jones.
Australian Air Ace - "Jerry" Pentland.
QANTAS Rising - Hudson Fysh.
D'Air Devil - "Pard" Mustard.

Most of these are out of print but can be tracked down through ABE, Amazon etc.

Regards,
Andrew.

Old 31 December 1999, 02:40 AM   #8
Graham

Thanks everyone!

Graham

Old 1 January 2000, 02:43 AM   #9
Kirby
Forum Ace

Location: In the Great Miami Valley of the old Northwest Territory.

Graham

Don't know if this is of interest or not.Q. M. Dabney & Co. has in their last catalog.this book listed: "Captain Albert Ball, V.C., D.S.O. (Two Bars), M.C., Croix De Chevalier, Legion D'Honneur, Russian Order Of St. George. A Historical Record" By R. H. Kiernan.

The price is $85.00. As Ira pointed out in a previous thread, Dabney tends to be very high on price.

VBR
Kirby
Old 3 January 2000, 05:01 AM   #10
Peter S.

Graham
I am now going on memory but I think V.M. Yeates
who wrote the best WW1 air novel Winged Victory
served in the same squadron as Mclaren. He describes the flight leader as 'Mac'. If I am correct you have a brilliant writer's description of a superb fighting machine.
The book has been published in paper back and it should ber easy to obtain a copy. Probably somebody will shoot me down and say it was another Mac.
Regards Peter S