The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 25 December 1999, 07:08 PM   #1
Lee Edw. Branch

A most worthy search to initiate is <lafayette escadrille> and then opt for the McConnell material. I found it most moving. Paul Rockwell in one of his last (of his many) gestures honoring his late brother Kiffin's escadrille contributed most of his collection of N.124 memorabilia to the U. of Virginia. U.of Va. has created this website on the McConnell letters and includes the last fond thoughts on McC as elicited by Paul Rockwell from an aging widow who was once a young French-American girl who meant a great deal to JRMc. A "must visit" site. Everyone have a great 2000. VBR. Lee

Old 26 December 1999, 08:50 AM   #2
Steve

Lee, thanks for the info. Today, by coincidence, I bought "An American for Lafayette", the wartime diary of E.C.C. Genet, a good friend of McConnell's, who was with him on his last flight. It contains a moving account of McConnell's death on 19th March, 1917.
The book is published by the University Press of Virginia, and gives a fascinatingly intimate glimpse into the daily lives of those brave pilots.

Old 26 December 1999, 11:27 AM   #3
Jack

What is the web address

Old 26 December 1999, 02:55 PM   #4
Lee Edw. Branch

Steve: Weren't they an impressive bunch! There were problems, many of them, and some bizarre types. Have you known of the death of McMonagle? Intoxicated and obnoxious to the C.O. he was sent to reel off drunkenly on a flight which saw his predictable end. Of course the French C.O.s had a problem in that they were supposed to handle the "vols" with out applying strict discipline. As you may know that at one time they were recommended for disbandment by the C.O. due to the rebellousness generally evidenced. What a remarkable group of patriots though in Genet, Rockwell, Chapman, Lufberry et al. "Whiskey The Lion"! Marvellous! I suspect Roscoe Turner played off that with his selection of a lion "Gilmore" as a mascot.

Jack: I'm getting there with a simple entry of "Lafayette Escadrille" and going to the 21st entry under that heading. Once there it is cited as: http:/viva.lib.virgina.edu/exhibit/mcconnell/1917.html

I've tried a "search" with this more complete site address but come up with nothing. The site is full of material on the L.E. including texts from James N. Hall and Ed. Parsons. Better luck. Maybe U. of Virginia can help you out. Regards! Lee

Old 6 January 2000, 06:48 PM   #5
Priscilla Sparks

Sir,
I am the great niece of Roaul Lufbery, american ace and member of the Lafayette Escadrille. Growing up I was always looking at newspaper clippings and pictures that my grandmother had. I have collected a couple of books and do have some newspaper articles. I'm very interested in any information you may have.