Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 16 November 1999, 07:06 AM   #1
Sven Klein

I am the grandson of Hans Klein, the German flying ace of WWI.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to research what happened to him in WWII. Maybe a website like theaerodrome.com for WWII. I would appreciate all assistance. Thank you

Old 16 November 1999, 08:27 AM   #2
Phil.

Hans Klein died on 18 november 1944, he was a deputy Commander of all fighters in the Luftwaffe. He finaly attained the rank of Major-General. He wasn't really behind the NSDAP. Nazis saying he had died in a car crash. His family didn't believe it but the Nazis wouldn't let them see his body. One of his family member sneaked in and saw his body...He really died from a bullet to the back of the head, not a car crash !

About WWII forum you can go to the German Armed Forces in WWII :
http://www.uwm.edu/~jpipes
or send a e-mail to the Luftwaffe Experten :
[email protected]

Hope it helps !
Phil.
http://club.euronet.be/philippe.saintes/asduciel.htm

Old 16 November 1999, 07:02 PM   #3
Dudley P. Nutt

Is there any proof of this story.

Old 17 November 1999, 06:11 AM   #4
Sven Klein

I was amazed that Phil knew about that story. Yes, the proof is that my grandmother, Hans Klein's wife is still alive and has told me the story on numerous occasions. Her brother was the one tha opened the cofin and discovered the true cause of death. What is your interest with the story? Peculiar that Hans Klein was assasinated just a few months after an attempt on Hitler's life, wouldn't you think?

Sven

Old 22 November 1999, 10:54 AM   #5
G. Jacobs

Dear Sven,
There were several recipients of the Pour le Merite who were critical of the Nazis before and during WW2, among them Theo Osterkamp and Josef Jacobs, one of my distant relatives. To some degree, the PLM protected them from recriminations
but,unfortunately, this did not help your grand-father. You refer to the 20 July Plot by von Stauffenberg. Many were implicated (some no doubt unfairly in order to settle old scores),arrested,
tried by the People's (Kangaroo)Court,and executed
-while others committed suicide,or in Rommel's case, given a choice.
Your grandfather's death may be a little more mysterious. Alleged "conspirators" were still being arrested about that time, including some high-ranking ones such as Adm.Canaris,who was imprisoned and later executed. It appears your grandfather was murdered without any charges being
brought against him. A possible conclusion could be that he possessed knowledge of someone else's
involvement in the assassination plot and was killed to insure his silence.
However,finding any details will be difficult if not impossible to find, but perhaps you could explore these possibilities with your grandmother.
Good Luck and Best Wishes,
Gary