Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Subscribe to remove ads

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 28 October 1999, 09:41 AM   #1
Daivd Logan

I was reading War in the Air, and I noticed one of the twenty-six true stories, "The Professionals", from the book On Yankee Station, was co-written by Barrett Tillman. Interesting story, Barrett.

I was wondering if any other forumites wrote any books.

David Logan

Old 28 October 1999, 04:01 PM   #2
BillyH

Sir: Can I toot my own horn? If you search books in the Forum, you will find a beautiful review of the Frank Luke: September Rampage by none other than the figure of reference: Barrett Tillman, whose On Yankee Station I read so long ago I forgot his name. If you scan Dan Conover's 27th Aero site, you find an equally brilliant review by that gentleman, of the same book. Billy H further wrote a book on the Red Baron that is reviewed in Amazon.com and the Scholars Bookshelf. He also wrote a Civil War book called The First Minnesota at Gettysburg, which is all the rage at Minnesota, and other points. If you are a writer, send in your credentials. Glad to have you aboard. Billy H/10/29/99.

Old 28 October 1999, 04:01 PM   #3
BillyH

Sir: Can I toot my own horn? If you search books in the Forum, you will find a beautiful review of the Frank Luke: September Rampage by none other than the figure of reference: Barrett Tillman, whose On Yankee Station I read so long ago I forgot his name. If you scan Dan Conover's 27th Aero site, you find an equally brilliant review by that gentleman, of the same book. Billy H further wrote a book on the Red Baron that is reviewed in Amazon.com and the Scholars Bookshelf. He also wrote a Civil War book called The First Minnesota at Gettysburg, which is all the rage at Minnesota, and other points. If you are a writer, send in your credentials. Glad to have you aboard. Billy H/10/29/99.

Old 28 October 1999, 11:12 PM   #4
stephen
Forum Ace

Yep, I guess we're being asked to toot our own horns. Mine is rather small (no Freudian remarks, please), but I've done articles on WWI aviation for OTF, AERODROME and a few others. Got a long term book in the works (doesn't everybody?) based on my series that appeared in AERODROME several years ago featuring pilots that I've known who were shot down and survived. Pales in comparison, but there ya go.
Old 29 October 1999, 05:07 AM   #5
Frank_Olynyk
Forum Ace

begin toot

An article in the old Cross & Cockade, on David S Ingalls, the only USN ace of WW1. An article in Over the Front on Hermann Göring's operational flying during WW1.
Ten victory lists, covering all air-to-air claims (destroyed, prob, dam) for USMC, USN, USAAF Pacific, AVG/USAAF CBI, USAAF ETO, USAAF MTO, RAF 400 Series Sqns, RAF 300 Sqns, US WW1, US Post World War 2. Currently working on, or gathering material for, Germany WW1 (almost done), RAF ETO (almost done), RAF MTO (almost done), RAF Far East and Fleet Air Arm (almost done), Finland, RFC/RAF/RNAS WW1, France WW1, France WW2, Italy & AH WW1. And grabbing anything else I can lay my hands on.
One hard bound book, Stars and Bars: A Tribute to the American Fighter Ace 1920-1973, published by Grub Street.

end toot

Frank.
Old 29 October 1999, 06:34 AM   #6
John L

Framk, that passage about Ingalls seeing the German teamster trying to calm his terrified horses haunts me to this day.

Old 29 October 1999, 08:57 AM   #7
Roberto Gentilli

I wrote 8 aviation books, including, of WW1 interest, SIAI aircraft 1915-1935.Then AIr War over Ethiopia 1915-1939, and the latest I Reparti dell'Aviazione italiana nella Grande Guerra (Italian air units of WW1) together with Paolo Varriale. Now the 2 of us plus Antonio Iozzi are finishing a big book on Italian air aces if WW1.

Old 29 October 1999, 10:23 AM   #8
Kirby
Forum Ace

Location: In the Great Miami Valley of the old Northwest Territory.

Gentlemen

The more I learn about you, the more favorably impressed I become.

It is an honor to communicate with all of you.

VBR
Kirby
Old 29 October 1999, 10:33 AM   #9
Vin
Forum Ace

I wrote a letter to me mum the other day

Vin
Too myopic to comprehend
Fools and cowards
foolish do-gooder, you aid and abett the devil
Old 29 October 1999, 12:36 PM   #10
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

David: thank you for the acknowledgment. Steve Coonts had contacted John Nichols and me some years or more before the anthology was published. "Pirate's" narrative is especially useful as an example of how frabbed up The Official Story can become. As I recall, McCudden has two entries.
My current projects are a fifth novel and the Douglas TBD Devastator volume in the Osprey "Combat Aircraft" series.
Vin: you've just written the most important item of all!