The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 25 September 1999, 09:16 AM   #1
Allen

Hello, I am building a kit of M.v.R's final DR.1 ( 425/17 ), I am perplexed as to whether this plane had all of the serial #'s and other non-national insignia painted over in red or not, some illustrations show full serial #'s etc., in black on this plane, other's just show the squat balkan crosses, which is accurate?

Old 26 September 1999, 07:44 AM   #2
Mark P.

Allen,

I'm no expert in MvR's markings but IWM photos of his 425 clearly show that rudder was over painted because the serial numbers are missing. There are stories of his plane being speacialy covered with silk and that might be why the numbers are missing but that might be a question better answered by someone else. As far as the fuselage I can find no photos of it having any fabric left after him being downed. After reading the Cross & Cockade vol.6 o. 3 1975 Paul Leaman wrote a story his coloring and he has a piece of the fabric. "This piece is taken from an area adjacent to a cable exit or entry as it has a corner of the selvedge edge from that at one end. It also has the works number of the machine 2009 stencilled on it and just visible through the red paint.)So you can figure that the rest would follow.

Mark

Old 29 September 1999, 10:12 PM   #3
the moving finger

Triplane 425/17 had several repaints and the national markings changed a number of times, begining as pattee crosses of standard Fokker proportions with narrow white outlines and ending as broader crudely painted straight sided crosses. Serials were visible under poor quality red dope. On a small section I have examined the camouflage also shows through and the red has an orange/brown hue. IMO the silk covering story is a myth.