Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 23 September 1999, 01:57 AM   #1
Brad
Forum Ace

Wow, a slow forum day, and nothing funny really happened, thought I would take advantage of the beautiful Chicago weather to brag that I have now flown an fe8 replica. Since my wife isn't interested and you folks are only talking WX (Maine is overcast today) I thought I should tell some one. Sorry this replica is cont. powered. Flies easy, great vis., land with power. Very inferior to the neiuport and spad replicas though. VBR Brad

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Sponsored Links
Old 23 September 1999, 02:59 AM   #2
PeterL
Forum Ace

Brad, are you able to post pictures of any of these replicas? A while back, it must be months, we had someone on the forum with loads of questions who was building a Camel Comic. Wonder what happened to him. Then more recently and on my side of the pond the excelent N17 replica. I do hope I get to see that next air show season. What engine does that SPAD have BTW?

Peter L

Peter L
Old 23 September 1999, 04:09 AM   #3
Brad
Forum Ace

Hi Peter you didn't mention the WX all of the planes are at the Owls Head Transportation Museum website. The SPAD has a LYC 0-360 Oddly enough discussions are starting about proper engines for the Neiuport and SPAD, may happen? The trade off is a restriction to the pattern.

"My point is that KILLING BABIES ON PURPOSE IS NEVER OKAY. " - Craig

"Not even before they are born! " - ME

"Is nailing Jell-O to the wall productive?" - Barker
Old 24 September 1999, 12:44 AM   #4
chris s

I remember reading of this aircrafts first long distance flight across the USA,the furthest flown by an aircraft of that age at the time!!
The old bloke Jack Gardiner flew her solo Of course after some 3 years construction time.
He did it wearing authentic uniform and all (what a man!) He reached 8600' over the donner pass, the maximum possible height for that type.
He had press coverage for 20 of the 61 stops.Using the Thermals some of the way and flying between 11000 foot peaks ,he was blocked from crossing to Laramie by fog at 7230ASL .
Trailing smoke this rather intrepid aviator managed a good forced landing and waited for a fortnight for repairs to the engine.
Arriving finally in Owls Head to an empty airportin the evening skys .
I envy your opportunity to fly the Fe8 as i have always liked her, I would like to see any photos if you have some of the Fe8 in flight...please.
Chris s