Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 1999

1999 Closed threads from 1999 (read only)

Old 3 September 1999, 06:34 PM   #1
GMcManus

Can anyone tell me when the last Albatros DVs
were in operational use? Were they withdrawn
or forced to fight to the death?

Old 4 September 1999, 11:38 AM   #2
leo
Forum Ace

I believe some were used by Freikorps units in 1919-1920 and that some fell into the hands of the Poles and Ukranians during the same time period.
Old 4 September 1999, 02:46 PM   #3
Jeni

As far as the War goes, they fought to the death!
Jeni

Old 5 September 1999, 06:24 PM   #4
BillyH

My understanding is that the Allied Control Commission was to have about 15 thousand aicraft of all types turned over to it as a condition of the 11 November Armistice, but the Jerries could only come with about 7, 000, which puts to sleep that tired old myth that the Gs were running short of planes. I estimated that there were at least 3-5 thousand planes (all sides) aloft throught out any given flying day in 1918: 400 miles is a mighty long aerial front. Billy H/9/06/99. EOM.

Old 5 September 1999, 06:24 PM   #5
BillyH

My understanding is that the Allied Control Commission was to have about 15 thousand aicraft of all types turned over to it as a condition of the 11 November Armistice, but the Jerries could only come with about 7, 000, which puts to sleep that tired old myth that the Gs were running short of planes. I estimated that there were at least 3-5 thousand planes (all sides) aloft throught out any given flying day in 1918: 400 miles is a mighty long aerial front. Billy H/9/06/99. EOM.

Old 7 September 1999, 04:06 AM   #6
Axel Schudak

Afaik the German problem was not the planes, but rather important parts for them, like anything of copper or rubber (some got wood-wheels), oil and especially fuel.

Old 14 September 1999, 06:41 AM   #7
Jasta 8

Hi All,

According to Profile Publications #9 on the Albatross DV - in Sept 1918, the front line compliments of DV was 20, the DVa 307.

The greatest # of DV's in active service was Nov '17 at 526. The greatest # of DVa's in service at any one time was 986 in May of 1918.

Hope this helps.

VBR,

Jasta 8