Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 7 June 2023, 02:24 PM   #1
zaruk
Observer

Walter Böning's Albatros D.V 2092/17 markings

I started Walter Böning's Albatros D.V 2092/17 from Eduard 1/48. Markings after Eduard's instruction: Jasta 76B, early 1918.

When I bagan to read about that plane, some questions arrived. What proves that those markings are historically correct? The only picture I've found is well known photo taken on St. Loup airfield in Summer (August they say) 1917.

But: in that time Böning was Jasta 19 pilot. According to Jasta's camo pattern, the rudder should be olive green, elevator – probably green/mauve, as wings were.
But: in early 1918 Böning was Jasta 76 Staffelführer, probably flying 2092/17 Albatros taken from Jasta 19. Did he changed markings on rudder and elevator on blue/blue and white stripes like Eduard shows?
Next question – on the picture from „Albatros Aces od WW I” book, vol. 2 (page 83), new Böning's Albatros is shown. Written as D.Va (5765/17?).
But: in Bruno Schmaling's Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 76, Böning's Albatros is described as D.III (O.A.W.). Many questions, many doubts. Could anyone clean and organize all that mess? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 2 July 2023, 11:12 AM   #2
Jimmaas
Observer

I believe you are correct - there's no reason for a Jasta 19 aircraft to have Jasta 76 horizontal tail colors. Pheon Decals has a 1/32 sheet that hows this aircraft with green/mauve and his research was very reputable. As to the rudder - Schmaling says black, the Pheon sheet seems murky dark, and if I were to bet based on the photo in Schmaling's book (p.9) I 'd go for lozenge.
Closed Thread