Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 7 September 2023, 08:29 AM   #1
Eivind
Observer

Jasta 2. Boelke and their black and white tails

I see several variants of the black and white tails on the Jasta 2 DR.I.'s
Sometimes it is only the tailplane that is split in black and white, sometimes the fuselage under the tailplane is painted black and white as well.

Was this just a random thing, or did Jasta 2 change this at some time (if so, when)?
Or is it just a wild guess because there are no pictures?

I'm sorry for not posting this in the colours and markings sub-forum, but that seems basically dead.
Sponsored Links
Old 7 September 2023, 08:48 AM   #2
Eivind
Observer

Just to clarify, I know there are both b & w fuselage undersides and fuselage sides as well, just to make it a bit more confusing.
Old 9 September 2023, 10:29 PM   #3
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

Hello Eivind,

Well, from the dozens of photos of Jasta Boelcke (not Boelke, please ) Fokker Triplanes I have studied, on every aircraft, the black or white color was always continued down the adjacent fuselage side - in other words, a white fuselage beneath the white tailplane half, and a black fuselage beneath the black tailplane half.

Having written one book on Jasta Boelcke, and another on JG III, I've studied this subject in some detail. I know in some photos it may look as if the fuselage beneath the tail was not specially painted, but believe me it was. Sometimes the white section of a fuselage beneath the white tailplane might have been heavily stained by castor oil, etc. - but it was still white.

The black and white painting was probably not continued onto the underside of the fuselage, however. I have seen one photo of a Jasta Boelcke Fokker D.VIIF on its nose, which shows the underside of the fuselage - and it was not specially painted, but left factory finish. The pilot's individual marking of fuselage stripes did not extend on to the underside either.

I hope that helps.

Greg VanWyngarden

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Closed Thread