Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 20 November 2023, 07:09 AM   #1
erogala
Observer

Jasta 15 and Jasta 11 Red

Was the "red" color used on aircraft from Jasta 15, the same color red as used on aircraft from Jasta 11?

I'm building a 1/4 scale Fokker DVII model and need to know how to match the color of Jasta 15's Red. Preferably the mix would be using Tamiya Acrylic paints.

I have the Wingnut Wings color chart for Rudohf Berthold's Fokker DVII and just wanted to verify it is correct. They state this red is mixed as follows:
X7(x5) and XF9( x1).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Old 27 November 2023, 07:21 AM   #2
erogala
Observer

Based on the lack of replies to this post, I am assuming that I should depend on the color mix reccomendations given with the Wingnut Wing kit instructions.
Perhaps this was the "wrong" forum to post such a question.

Thanks for looking!

Ed
Old 27 November 2023, 08:50 AM   #3
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Arrow My (educated) guess is...

... that we will never know the absolutely exact tone. Even still existing pieces of favric will have changed the colour slightly over the last ten decades. But using the references of Wingnut Wings would be useful.

"Was the "red" color used on aircraft from Jasta 15, the same color red as used on aircraft from Jasta 11?"

Yes - if they used the same paint bucket or a bucket of the same batch.

If not, we should assume, thet there were at least some tiny colour deviations. Everything was in short supply within the war industry of Germany and so the units used whatever was at hand. The "Jasta artists" mixed and thinned out whenever something was rare. So I would use the term "reddish" in connection with these early markings instead of "red"..

"My words came out fine. The problem is that they were incorrectly processed by your brain."
(???)

"Much to learn, you still have."
(Yoda)

"I never said all that shit!"
(Confucius)
Old 27 November 2023, 04:59 PM   #4
erogala
Observer

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I do appreciate it.

Season's Greetings...

Ed
Old 28 November 2023, 02:53 AM   #5
sator
Forum Ace

From what i,ve read over the years is that they used whatever they had. It also made a difference what color primer was used underneath the paint, making it lighter or darker.
Old 7 December 2023, 05:03 PM   #6
FOKKERJ
Forum Ace of Aces

True Colors

Greetings Ed,

I fully agree with Volker_Nemsch here.

I painted my Tipi's Lodge Cover this past summer using different colors of Earth Pigments mixed with my White paint and a small can of Black paint where needed. I have some original 150 year old Brain Tanned Buffalo Calf hide that has a painted design on it. Unfortunately, it is Brown and Black. But still as soft as Velvet.

Yellow Ochre, Greens, Vermillion Red, White, and Blues were popular colors back then. What did they look like? I do not know.
Are my colors correct? I'm happy with them.

I also have some old Glass Trade Beads that are 150 years old or older. After being exposed to the elements, even glass beads lose their original color and surface sheen. One bead out of 100-200 looks brand new! I found a few.

My point is that colors degrade over time. Volker gave you great advice and I would only add that you should use this information and come to a conclusion that makes you happy! You are the only one that you need to please.

I would not be surprised if some clever fellow used Beet Juice in mixing colors.

Cheers, FOKKERJ

Last edited by FOKKERJ; 7 December 2023 at 05:38 PM.
Closed Thread