Books and Film
The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft > Camouflage, Colors and Markings

Camouflage, Colors and Markings Topics related to Camouflage, Colors and Markings of WWI aircraft

Closed Thread

Old 6 January 2024, 08:04 PM   #1
Terry_Crisp
Scout Pilot

Fok F1 103/17 color scheme

Gentlemen and ladies,
I realize that this horse has been beaten past dead but I have just re-read Norman McMillans INTO THE BLUE in which he has described in detail a fight with this machine from very close quarters. Close enough to have a good look at the pilot whom he later recognized from photos as Werner Voss.
He specifically describes the triplane as buff when seen from above. McCudden refers to Voss having a silvery blue triplane. I remember reading someones speculation (I no longer remember whose) that since Voss was above his attackers most of the time the description fits the underside.
My personal assessment is that it was common for the undersides of most German a/c to be painted sky blue before the advent of lozenge fabric so that fits with McCudden.
It was also common for Fokker (something of a cheapskate) to leave upper and side surfaces in the natural linen color and add camouflage by streaks of olive paint dry brushed. Truth be said, this was about as good for camo as anything else.
Thus, I believe the actual scheme was CDL with olive streaking above with sky blue beneath. The silvery tone would have come from the reflectivity of the fresh clear dope over the blue paint.
As for the controversy over the color of the cowling and rudder, we may never know but the tone of the cowling in the b/w photos does not differ much if at all from the streaking. The difference could be explained by the difference between the metal and the fabric. I have read it posited that the a/c was one of the prototypes essentially on loan and therefore unlikely to be messed with unnecessarily. This is at least plausible. The same could be said of the rudder and Herrs Timm and Ruser et al. may have had other things to do. Still a mystery but to my knowledge there is nothing but speculation regarding the cowling and rudder being painted yellow.
Old 12 January 2024, 06:05 PM   #2
Malaula
Two-seater Pilot

Fok F1 103/17 color scheme

Dear Terry Crisp for an authoritative description of Fokker F.1 103/17 color scheme as flown by Werner Voss in Jasta 10 check out Ray Rimell's and Richard Alexander's Fokker F.1/DR.1, volumes 1 and 2by Albatros Productions Ltd. Besides 3 view color illustrations by Juanita Franzl of 103/17, there are numerous photos of this particular triplane backed by thorough analysis by the authors concerning the coloration and markings as flown by Werner Voss. An in depth, informative treatise on Fokker painting practices is also furnished. They also address the cowling/wheel covers and reached the same conclusions that these were dark green. There is a vast wealth of information, photos and color schemes of various dreideckers contained in these two volumes. Must haves for anyone interested in Anthony Fokker's triplane creation. Best regards,Malaula
They wait to hear our words and laughter, to see our tears, and
feel our pain. It is all that remains for them . . . . . . .
to be remembered.

The Iron Men - Leonard B. Scott
Old 13 January 2024, 02:54 AM   #3
Terry_Crisp
Scout Pilot

Thank you very much. I have been collecting books for more than fifty years and somehow have missed these. I will proceed with alacrity to take measures!
Best regards,
Terry