The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > Aircraft

Aircraft Topics related to WWI aircraft, aircraft engines and armament

Old 24 February 2024, 07:05 AM   #1
neverapro
Observer

Etrich Taube - Materials

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me with some research I am doing about the materials used for the Etrich Taube.

I understand that the bridge under the wings is made of steel tube. Most likely the three wing spars are also made of steel.

My doubts go to the kingposts used for wing warping and tail warping. I am assuming they are made also of steel, but I am not 100% sure. Also, the posts that protrude away from the wings and tail, for stretching cables, I am not sure if they are made of wood or steel.

I believe the main landing gear structs are made of wood, except the structs that are connected to the shock absorber, the wheel arcs and the tube connecting both wheels.

I am also guessing the V-shaped structures above and below the fuselage are also wood, although I am not 100% sure.

I found some blueprints and french books describing the plane in detail, but I am still unclear about these.

I wonder if anyone can help me. I can share some schemes and conclusions in the way.
neverapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24 February 2024, 09:59 AM   #2
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Arrow Materials...

Have a look at the following Wikipedia text. At the end you will find sources in connection with surviving originals or replicas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etrich_Taube
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etrich...tene_Flugzeuge

Try to contact the museums or owners. Maybe they can answer your questions, because there have been several "Taube type aircraft" built before and at the beginning of WW1.

"My words came out fine. The problem is that they were incorrectly processed by your brain."
(???)

"Much to learn, you still have."
(Yoda)

"I never said all that shit!"
(Confucius)
Volker_Nemsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:00 PM   #3
neverapro
Observer

thanks, I sent some emails. I wonder if someone here has that german book about Igo Etrich.
Old 24 February 2024, 02:14 PM   #4
Volker_Nemsch
Forum Ace of Aces

Arrow Can you...

... provide us with the name of this book? Maybe one of the Forumites has it in his/her library...

"My words came out fine. The problem is that they were incorrectly processed by your brain."
(???)

"Much to learn, you still have."
(Yoda)

"I never said all that shit!"
(Confucius)
Volker_Nemsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 12:28 AM   #5
neverapro
Observer

yeah, true.

Igo Etrich: Leven und werk, by Hanus Salz
https://www.amazon.com/Igo-Etrich-Le.../dp/3927132519

Taube, Dove of War - Col. John A. De Vries
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taube-Dove-.../dp/0911852824

I really want to confirm my suspicion that while the main bridge is made of a steel tube, the structs that bind it to the wing and the kingposts may in fact be made of wood. I am seeing contradictory pictures.
Old 25 February 2024, 03:17 AM   #6
neverapro
Observer

let me elaborate a little further:

Here is a screenshot from the Historical Aviation Album. Control wires pass through the steel tube that is the bridge, so 100% sure that is steel. It ends on a pulley.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 12.04.58.jpg

Now, the wire goes all the way up to the kingpost, for aileron warping. This hints that the post is NOT hollow, as the wire does not travel from the inside, so maybe it is made of wood. Additionally, I have this picture:

9.jpg

It is not always conclusive to look at pictures, but we can see how the bridge shines like steel, but the left structure that binds the bridge to the wing shows a different shine, similar to the wood pylons on the landing gear. Also it shows different thickness.

this picture is more confusing. Looks like the bridge vertical structures are not round, but flatter, to show a more aerodynamic / thick shape. The bridge structure still looks round.

Untitled picture.jpg

What do you think?
Old 25 February 2024, 12:02 PM   #7
CjBobrow
Arbeitsflieger

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverapro View Post
let me elaborate a little further: What do you think?
Permit me to weigh in with this observation: Igo Etrich, a talented engineer and astute businessman, significantly influenced early aviation by developing and commercializing the Taube aeroplane. He sold production licenses to Motor-Luftfahrzeug-Gesellschaft, a collaboration between Oesterreichische Daimler-Motoren-Aktiengesellschaft and Lohner. The German company E. Rumpler-Flugzeugbau GmbH also acquired a license. However, the German Patent Office invalidated these licenses, claiming the Taube's design was public knowledge. This led to widespread, unregulated production in Germany and the emergence of various Taube models. In a word, there were production and construction differences between the machines, so one really needs to know which manufacturer they are basing their observations on.
CjBobrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 01:10 PM   #8
berman
Scout Pilot

I have the Igo Etrich book by Salz, Taube book by De Vries, and Gotha taubes datafile by Albatros Publlishing. In addition, there are some taube photographs but no drawings in some Aeronaut Publishing books such as Halberstadt.
I once read that there were around one hundred thirty seven taube variants. Are there any other sources of three view drawings and photos?
"For we are not gods and creators; and the controversialists have debated whether the All-Plastic Power itself can do more than mold" from chapter 75 of the novel Mardi written by Herman Melville. Published in 1849
berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 11:26 PM   #9
neverapro
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by berman View Post
I have the Igo Etrich book by Salz, Taube book by De Vries, and Gotha taubes datafile by Albatros Publlishing. In addition, there are some taube photographs but no drawings in some Aeronaut Publishing books such as Halberstadt.
I once read that there were around one hundred thirty seven taube variants. Are there any other sources of three view drawings and photos?
Hi, the particular version I am looking for is the Etrich one, with bridge structures, landing gear with vertical structs binded to the wings, typically seen with the Etrich name painted under the wings.

I am interested in any hint about specific materials used for each part (bamboo for wing tips, wood as wing spars, etc) and any picture that clearly shows the pulley system used in the briges.

thanks
Old 26 February 2024, 01:12 AM   #10
John McKenzie
Forum Ace of Aces

Check out the ( contemporary) Rozendaal drawings for this machine

They are found in WWI Aero article about Taube .

J M ,.....Not young enough to know everything !
John McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote