The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 31 December 2000, 07:58 AM   #1
Rob

I am starting a list of all American Aero Squadrons from 1913 up till Dec. 31 1919. This will include service, supply, maintainence, construction, and training/base squadrons. Any and all info is graetly appreciated!

Old 31 December 2000, 10:49 AM   #2
Cliff McLeod

Get a copy of 'Wings of Honor' by James J. Sloan.
It has extensive info, rosters, photos, etc. of the American air services during this period.

Hope this helps.
Cliff

Old 31 December 2000, 10:12 PM   #3
Rob

Yea, I've got all the currently available books that I'm aware of as well as an asortment of out of print stuff. The trouble is none of them list the 'other' squadrons (ie: service, supply, etc...) and little, if anything, is mentioned about squadrons in training toward the end. (In addition not many people know that in the air service in WW1, there were no 'platoons'. Instead they were called squadrons.) Niether is much to be found about base squadrons. Actual combat squadrons are easy to obtain info on, but since the '73 fire at the records center it's VERY difficult to find any info about the predominately enlisted squadrons. Most men didn't feel a need to record much about their duty if all they did was supply at a base, and in many cases they weren't even aware that they belonged to a specific squadron per-se. And to confuse things even further, some squadrons only existed on paper. The blue and white numbered squadron patches and squadron group photos (which I collect) so far are the greatest source for proof of these 'other' squadrons. If any one has info that could help 'flesh out' the odd ball squadrons please give me a yell. I've uncovered, for instance, that the 10th Aero Sqdn. was a mechanics sqdn. used to service the planes of the 27th Pursuit Sqdn. Thus the 10th Aero was 'part' of the 27th, though not all the men knew it and it only really made any difference on paper and after the war ended and everyone wanted to 'decorate their uniform with a patch or two.
I am current chapter president for the midwest chapter of The League Of World War One Aviation Historians (the 'Over The Front' club) if anyone is interested in joining.

Old 2 January 2001, 09:40 AM   #4
Steve

To ROB: I found through research that the 10th Aero Squadron Was based at Issodun And quite well could have been a mechanical group servicing aeroplanes. I did not need that much Info about them for my research. Have you checked National Archives? If you are near a branch of the NARA you can find lots of Information on all the Aero Squadrons there and then some!! Good Luck

Old 2 January 2001, 01:04 PM   #5
Rob

Thanks, that is one of the stops on my list.