The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 2 October 2000, 11:21 AM   #1
Sensei

Who besides Udet survived the war from 1915/1916? Just curious. Doesn't matter which nationality.

Sensei

Old 3 October 2000, 10:13 AM   #2
Kory Clark

Hi bud

I think Nungesser would qualify. He was in it early (1915) I can really only comment on the big aces..i'm sure there were loads of non-star pilots who made it throught 3-4 years of flying.

" "Pilot detached at his own request to an Escadrille in the rear, has never ceased since his arrival to seek any occasion to fly; flying up to four hours, thirty minutes each day in spite of the inclement weather. During the course of his last combat he gave proof of the highest moral qualities by approaching to within 10 meters the enemy machine he was pursuing firing in response up to the last moment. He succeeded in downing his adversary which caught fire and exploded in front of the French trenches." Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur citation, 4 December 1915 "

Of course Charles was much the worse for the wear (Major wounds...several lol).

I think Fonck also qualifies, having flown as early as 1915, but didn't get a pursuit ride until 1917.

The Canadian aces barely miss out, with Barker, Bishop and Collie all get their tickets in early 1917.

Another German off te top of my head is Rudolf Berthold who survived flying from 1916 early KEK units(EIIIs) only to be strangled by his own Blue Max after the war.

Willi Coppens surely qualifies flying 2-seaters in 1916 and then scouts the next year.

As for the Brits...damn few...brave and foolhardy i guess..anyone know of even one "big" ace? 20+victories?

Old 3 October 2000, 10:39 AM   #3
Ron_F
Forum Ace

Finally came up with a few:
Julius Buckler, FAA 209, Jasta 17. 35 victories. started singles November '16 and finished out war.

Emil Thuy, 1915-EOW, 35 victories. first one in '15.

Many more that scored/flew in '16, but didnt score in '18 and survived on German side.
such as Kroll and Klein.

Pinsard for France, Nov '16-Aug '18. 27 victories.

Collie got his first in Oct '16 and scored till 1919!

RS Dallas scored from 22 Apr '16 to 27 May 18.

fwiw

Ron

Old 3 October 2000, 12:00 PM   #4
Kory Clark

Collie was an observer in oct 1916, but the original question didn't specify the guy has to be a pilot the whole way through...hmmm I'd say a lot of guys could qualify at that.

Old 3 October 2000, 12:36 PM   #5
The Observer

Loerzer and his pal Goering

Old 3 October 2000, 12:36 PM   #6
The Observer

Loerzer and his pal Goering

Old 3 October 2000, 12:39 PM   #7
The Observer

said it twice because they also survived the next war, nearly as dangerous since they had to deal with the fuehrer's vitriol on many occasions.

Old 3 October 2000, 03:15 PM   #8
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Ref. Kory's mention of Berthold--actually he learned to fly in 1914 and made it all the way through. An extremely tough thing to accomplish, as unlike many or most early starters, he remained in the cockpit (or the hospital) the entire time.
Somewhere I've read that he was one of the Taube guys who scouted the British lines at Mons but cannot say fershure.
Old 3 October 2000, 04:25 PM   #9
Billy_Bishop
Rest in Peace

Keith L. "Grid" Caldwell, 25 victories, the leading New Zealander ace, started flying in France in July of 1916, got his first victory while flying BE-2d. Then transferred to 60 Squadron in November of 1916.

Chances are, if he had been a better shot, He would have been the leading British empire ace, instead of Bishop. In all probability he could have been the leading Allied ace. Who knows.

VBR,

Al Lowe
Old 3 October 2000, 08:56 PM   #10
John

Baumer Jasta 5 is another.