The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 12 July 2000, 12:36 PM   #1
Twoflags

I have recently acquired a copy of a book titled
"Richthofen. Beyond The Legend Of The Red Baron"

Can anyone tell me as to it's historical correctness and wheteher it be worth reading or for use as a table wedge......

Old 12 July 2000, 01:27 PM   #2
thpietsch

I think it is a great book. The person of MvR is perfectly described. I only found one mistake: it was C.-A. v. Schoenebeck and not H. G. v. d. Osten how was flying with Kurt Wolff on his fatal flight (15th September 1917)

Old 12 July 2000, 07:25 PM   #3
Myst Fyre

If you enjoy that book, I have found the book that Richthofen wrote himself at The war time journals. He wrote the book in 1917, I printed it on paper to read it better. It is an autobiograghy of his career both in the air and in the trenches. It is called Der Rote Kampfflieger, It is an excellent book. he describes his first flight as well as his battle with Major Hawker. WWW.richthofen.com/index.html

Old 13 July 2000, 12:06 AM   #4
thpietsch

No book can beat the self-written Richthofen-book. I like those auto-bios best. There are some books - e.g. collections of letters - which are autobiographical. Others were written in the Nazi-Time and full of propaganda - sadly even the Bodenschatz book.

Old 13 July 2000, 09:22 AM   #5
Myst Fyre

The web sight in which I printed MvR's book said that both German and English publishers highly censored his novel. Germany censored propaganda into it, where English took out many of the recounts of his victories. All books by legendary figures will have this happen for the simple fact that they are scutinzed in many ways. It is a shame however that we will not be able to read the original manuscipt with out editing, this would be very much an interesting subject. Plain and simple Censorship Bites