The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > WWI Aviation > People

People Topics related to WWI aviation personnel

Closed Thread

Old 23 October 2003, 04:09 AM   #1
Russell Smith
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Does anyone know if this has been released yet??? In a previous message I read September as the release date.
Facebook: Russell Smith Studios

Sponsored Links
Old 23 October 2003, 04:49 AM   #2
wingedwarrior

Hello Russell, and welcome to the forum. I must say that your works are beautiful and stunning. You are truly a gifted artist. Anyway, this is the first time that I heard of the new bio, but I will keep my eyes and ears open. I need to get back to your website and enjoy more of your paintings!

regards

Old 23 October 2003, 07:13 AM   #3
wingedwarrior

Hi again,

Found this on the web:

"September Evening"

It states that the book has not been released yet (probably next month though!). Hopefully it will be available here in the U.S. as well.

regards

Old 23 October 2003, 07:24 AM   #4
Russell Smith
Forum Ace

My Gallery
Fantastic! Thanks for checking on that, wingedwarrior, and thanks for your compliments about my work. Looking at the amazon site, I see that the artist who did the cover had enough wisdom and insight to paint the cowling of 103 the right color!
Facebook: Russell Smith Studios

Old 23 October 2003, 11:50 AM   #5
MikeW
Forum Ace

According to Grub Street's web site it is available now:

http://www.grubstreet.co.uk/september_evening.htm
Old 23 October 2003, 07:29 PM   #6
Amy
Forum Ace

aeroart: Great artwork and thanks for the heads up.

wingedwarrior: Thanks for the link!

I believe the author, Barry Diggens, used to fly 'round these parts. Kudos to Barry! This is a book that is l-o-n-g overdue.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. -- Ronald Reagan
Old 27 October 2003, 09:07 PM   #7
Frank_Olynyk
Rest in Peace

Monday's mail brought a package from Grub Street, with two new books, both biographies. *Richard Smith's bio of Al Deere, and Barry Diggens bio of Werner Voss titled September Evening (ISBN 1-904010-47-4). *Physically it is a small book, of 194 pages. *That there is little one can say of his life is shown by the fact that chapter three "September Evening" starts on page 78. *This chapter goes to page 93, an interesting comparison between what we know of his life, and of his last day. *This is followed by chapters titled "Aftermath", "Rumors of an Ugly Death", and "Alternative Accounts and Conclusion". *Appendices reproduce all the RFC combat reports from Voss' final combat; his service record, his victory list, the intelligence report on FI 103/17, an interesting discussion of the possibility of other Triplanes being at the front in September 1917, and the camouflage and markings of FI 103/17. *Finally, a map of the final combat, two maps showing his victories, a glossary, a bibliography and an index. *All in all a fine effort, with many possibilities for further discussion over a glass of sarsaparilla (I looked it up!).

Frank.
Old 27 October 2003, 11:50 PM   #8
MikeW
Forum Ace

Frank,

is there any in-depth discussion of the Combat with Naval 6 in June when Voss was shot down and wounded? Or is it glossed over or totally ignored as usual?

As my interest lies with No.6 Squadron RNAS, that's my criteria for whether to buy it or not.

Mike
Old 28 October 2003, 02:00 AM   #9
Gregvan
Forum Ace of Aces

MikeW,

I haven't seen the book yet. However, can you give us a little more info on the combat with Naval 6 in June from the Naval 6 point of view ? I'd love to hear about it !!

Greg

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Old 28 October 2003, 02:57 AM   #10
MikeW
Forum Ace

Greg,

I've got the combat reports on my laptop, I'll sort them out tonight. I think that other Allied units were involved as well, I'll see If I can find the relevant Brigade War Diary at the same time.

Mike
Closed Thread