The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 22 February 2000, 09:12 AM   #1
John L

If you could travel backward in time and exchange places with a WW-I Ace for a few days, who would it be, when would it be,and what would you like to discover? The most important question is, why this person?

Old 22 February 2000, 09:38 AM   #2
Mark M.

Erich Löwenhardt or Ernst Udet, July 1918. Want to discover how they got along, and how they both felt about the likelihood of reaching number 81. Seems like U and L were in keen competition for the title of 'Ace of Aces'. Although they knew by this time that the war could not be won, they were both having rapid successes, reaching 50 very quickly. They probably felt like MvR's total was within reach. Both men were developed at least to some extent by MvR, and each probably respected him highly, but no doubt each thought about becoming 'the man'. Löwenhardt developed a very close relationship with LvR shortly before his death - Kilduff suggests that he became a father figure to Lothar in the summer of 1918, interesting when you consider he was Lothar's junior, both in rank and age.

Old 22 February 2000, 03:16 PM   #3
Barrett
Forum Ace of Aces

Ltn. Bruno Stachel, on leave BEFORE he received the PlM in order to celebrate with Grafin Katie von Klugermann and...well, veteran Forumites know The Rest of the Story.
Old 22 February 2000, 03:46 PM   #4
Graham Cox

This is an easy one ... Billy Bishop, on the day after his fabled/legendary/famous/infamous aerodrome raid. It would be nice to know the real truth behind one of the most hotly contested topics of WWI aviation.

Graham

Old 22 February 2000, 10:26 PM   #5
Reinout
Forum Ace

Hmm, many choices here!

Boelcke, to see what it was like to teach raw youngsters and veteran airmen alike how the art of aerial combat is done.

Immelmann for learning what it was like in the earliest of early aircombat days. And to find out how he died exactly.

Windisch, to see how he disappeared.

Berthold, to see what made him able to withstand such injuries and still continue combat.

Kind regards,

Reinout

R.Hubbers, 2004.
Old 23 February 2000, 12:05 AM   #6
stephen
Forum Ace

Ooooh! Good idea, Graham! Lessee... I join the 27th Aero around Sept 5th, 1918 and save myself a TON of research. Of course, this is all under the conditions that when I'm killed in combat on evening of the 29th, I can snap back to reality and go to work on my best seller.
Old 23 February 2000, 02:11 AM   #7
McCloskey

Sorry to be the first one to pick the obvious, but I'd have to say MvR, gang. So much has been penned about this man that I wonder what it was really like to be him and engage Hawker in combat. The grudging respect he felt when he would finally engage an opponent that could give him a test....and of course, what went through his mind when the Aussies opened up on him. Did he realize he had bit off more than he could chew by chasing May so far? What were his last thoughts???

Regards.

Old 23 February 2000, 04:06 AM   #8
leo
Rest in Peace

Brumowski! I should have liked to experience the chaos and confusion that must have attended all AH operations. Can you imagime serving in an army with 13 official languages? Brumowski was an island of calm competency in a sea of Babel.
Old 23 February 2000, 04:08 AM   #9
Amy
Forum Ace

I'd want to be any pilot in Jasta 2 while Boelcke was leader and be present on 28.10.16. This has been debated at the Forum before, but I'd like to know by my own firsthand account if Boelcke:

a) Strapped himself in his Albatros tightly?
or
B) Strapped himself in but not tightly?
or
c) Didn't use his safety belts at all?

But of course, knowing what I know 80+ years later, I'd do my best to change the outcome of the that fateful last flight.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. -- Ronald Reagan
Old 23 February 2000, 04:46 AM   #10
Steve D

I know, I have always been strange and danced to the sound of a different drummer! But I would like to have been Lt. Robert Todd, USAS; just because he was with the 17th Aero, flew a Camel, experienced being a prisoner and SURVIVED to be an old man.
Steve