The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 6 February 2000, 12:50 PM   #1
Ira_Silverman
Scout Pilot

The following article appeared in the July 2, 1998 issue of the “Far Eastern Economic Review” (via WW1 Aero).

FLIGHTS OF FANCY: This news just came from the official North Korean news agency: “The Korean people made a flying car more than 400 years ago for fight against the enemy. The bird-shape flying car was boarded by four people. It was equipped with devices of steering wings and causing, storing and emitting wind.

“It took off with the flexible wings and the jet propulsion by stored air and flew with flap and steering of the wings. The appearance of the car was far earlier than 1783 when a man is said to have flown with a balloon for the firat time in the world.

“Acording to Master O Myong Ho, a researcher of the History Institute of the Academy of Social Sciences, this clearly shows that Korean ancestors greatly contributed to the development of planes.

“They used flying cars in battles against the foreign aggressors. In 1592, when the patriotic War was going on, a Korean army unit [was] encircled by Japanese aggression troops in Jinju Castle in South Kyongsang province. At that time the unit let a flying car fly 12 kilometres for contact with another unit. In 1374, a year of the Koryo Dynasty (918-1392), Koryo army soldiers flew onto Jeju Island from boats with balloons and defeated the Japanese enemy.”

“No doubt all publishers of books referring to the Wright Brothers will pulp their output and start again.”

Being the kind and generous individual that I am <VBG>, I shall take it upon myself on behalf of the membership of this forum to investigate this matter further. I will leave for Korea next Friday, 11 Feb, returning the following Saturday. And when time permits me to take leave of this crucial study, I may also accomplish some seismic testing of a nuclear valve actuator.

Seriously, though, while I doubt I’ll find anything of a WWI nature during my visit, can anyone suggest any museums, monuments, etc., that may be aviation-related and of interest? Outside of the Korean War Memorial in Seoul (which I believe has some aircraft, including an A-26K), I am unaware of any.

VBR,

Ira
Sponsored Links
Old 7 February 2000, 04:11 AM   #2
Darryl
Forum Ace

Oh come on Ira,
I'll buy most of it but REALLY:

"some seismic testing of a nuclear valve actuator"

You made that up, didn't you, admit it *G*

regards and deepest repects

Darryl
Old 7 February 2000, 04:28 AM   #3
PeterL
Forum Ace

Ira, if anybody offers you a puppy, just say no.

Peter L
Old 7 February 2000, 06:41 AM   #4
mike_baram
Rest in Peace

Ira,
I always figured that if we were threatened at all, it would be from a technologically advanced race. Who would have thought it was the North Koreans?
Have a nice trip.
Mike
Old 7 February 2000, 01:38 PM   #5
wert

Not quite WW1 aviation, more like revisionist history eh, but the small Korean navy was not idle in the warring days of 1592 either, under the command of Admiral Yi Sun-sin. He had destroyed several Japanese flotillas, then in a decisive battle eliminated the Japanese main fleet and defeated a relief expedition sailing from Japan. No ill-wind blowing and overwhelming seas this time to save the Japanese.

Admiral Yi used 'turtle ships' about 110 feet long and 28 feet wide, entirely encased in hexagonal metal plates so they could not be boarded or holed. They had twelve gunports, and twenty two loopholes for small firearms, per side, plus four more ports at each end, with firepots and toxic smoke armament. The turtle ships outwieghting the Japanese ships by about forty to one would come up close and fire broadsides, sometimes they used the metal rams to hole the enemy vessels, leaving the more conventional Korean warships to close in and finish the kill.

The Japanese were familiar with the idea of iron proofing their ships, an army general had deployed on the Inland Sea "iron ships so arranged that gunshot would not penetrate them" which were ordinary warships plated with iron, and would heel over and sink when the enemy tried to board and everyone rushed to one side to repel them.

Anyway the Japanese added bigger guns and sat their wooden walled warships under the harbour defences at Pusan. Admiral Yi could not make any impression upon them. Nevertheless the Japanese attempt to conquer Korea failed, and was abandoned after the death of Hideyoshi.

The turtle ships were not used in action again and were probably forgotten about till the American Civil War, but then again it just goes to show how "Eurocentric" naval history has become.

source MHQ, The Quarterly Journal of Military History.

faster regards
wert.

Old 7 February 2000, 07:03 PM   #6
lee edw. branch

Ya familiar with Sadarahu (sp?) Oh? ("The Babe Ruth of Japan") actually Korean by ancestry, so keep your eyes open for "prospects". Wish I had of known you were coming to Chino over the Holidays I would have provided a intro to a few people here at Flabob- some ten miles away..There is a "baka bomb" undergoing restoration- a replica of Roscoe Turners last racer (a beauty! is nearing flight etc. I was in Florida at the Polk City facility of Kermit Weeks studying some details of the Morane A-1 he has (Note here the WWI aviation reference as is obligatory) so couldn't have offered you the personal California style hospitality I would have normally provided: Ie. sunglasses, sun lotion and complementary personal "Angel" tee-shirt. Only 12 days BST.Regards, LEB.

Old 8 February 2000, 04:06 AM   #7
Vigilant
Forum Ace

Hope your not travelling Korean Air
Good luck.

Vig.
Old 8 February 2000, 09:55 AM   #8
Ira_Silverman
Scout Pilot

Darryl:
Actually, that’s my cover story! <G>

Peter L:
I wondered why my dogs ran and hid under the bed when they learned where I was going!

Mike:
It’s always who you least suspect, isn’t it?

Wert:
Interesting bit of history. I’d probably replace “Eurocentric” with “Ethnocentric,” but that’s for a different thread.

Vigilant:
No, not KAL, and not flight 007!

Lee:
Once I get back from my trip, perhaps we can connect at Flabob? I’m frequently around the Riverside area.

How was Fantasy of Flight? The last time I saw Kermit Weeks’ collection was just after Hurricane Andrew, and it was a sad sight to see – especially his Curtiss Jenny, which sustained extensive damage. Has he restored it yet? Also saw the frame of a Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter in ragged but restorable shape – any progress there?

BTW, did you notice that at the Baseball Writers of America Dinner last week, seated between Derek Jeter and Yogi Berra was Theresa Wright, who played Lou Gehrig’s wife in PRIDE OF THE YANKEES? Mandatory WW1 content: Gary Cooper, who played Gehrig, won an Academy Award for playing Sergeant York.

And when I return, Spring Training will be underway!

VBR to all,

Ira
Old 10 February 2000, 07:05 PM   #9
lee edw. branch

Have a good trip Ira! I was at the Polk City facility and I think the problems for the Weeks organization as re the damage to their a/c was at the other location. Have you seen the San Diego Museum? Terrific operation plus in proximity to a outstanding auto museum. It know ST is near as my elbow is starting to ache! Looking forward to your safe return. VBR. LEB