The Aerodrome Forum
Help
Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 6 January 2000, 09:43 PM   #1
Donald B. Conrad

In my search for World War I monuments, one of my reader friends said that AEF ace Frank Luke's monument was in front of the capitol in Phoenix, Arizona. If you've seen it, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 12 January 2000, 12:14 AM   #2
BillyH

Greetings Donald: There is a very nice statue of Frank Luke in front of the Arizona State Capitol building in Phoenix, AZ. On the back of the pedestal there is a list of the Arizonas who got the MOH. John P Luke has the original model of the statue, rejected in favor of the pose of FL with one knee bent (considered more drlamatic than legs straight). There is a monument to Frank Luke in the town of murvaux (see my thread: Marvelous Mayor of Murvaux for details.) THis is not a statue, but a simple plaque in French and English that nnotes that FL was downed on 29 September 1918, and that his plane landed 700 meteters from the pedestal on which the plaque was once mounted. Stephen Skinner/Cox of this Forum is collecting funds for a restoration. EOM. 01/12/2000.