Links to Other Sites
Medals and Decorations
The Aerodrome News
Search The Aerodrome
Today in History

Subscribe to remove ads

The Aerodrome Forum

Go Back   The Aerodrome Forum > Archives > 2000

2000 Closed threads from 2000 (read only)

Old 2 January 2000, 09:00 AM   #1
Wilkin

Hi all,
I'm going in few month to Berlin. I would like to know if there is something interesting about WWI (or WWII) to see? Any army museum?
Thank you
Bernard WIlkin

Old 3 January 2000, 06:50 AM   #2
joegertler
Forum Ace

In Berlin is the Deutsches Technikmusem/Berlin, at 9 Trebbiner Strasse. You can see the Halberstadts, earlier Jeanin Stahltube, Pfalz, engines, props, memorabilia and (if you have interest) the finest train collection in the world with some WWI and earlier era trains and lots more. Well worth the visit.
Old 4 January 2000, 12:00 AM   #3
Reinout
Forum Ace

Hoi Bernard,

You can also check out the Invalidenfiedhof, where Udet, Buddecke and Von Beaulieu-Marconnay are buried, along with some prominent WWII airmen. There may be some other WWI heroes there, but I can't remember who.

On a different note, if you like the ancient era, go to the Pergamum Museum - you'll like it. We also enjoyed drinking beer (Rex Potsdammer) on the Kudamm! Speaking of Rex, the palace of Friedrich der Grosse is well worth a visit. And for WWII, you might want to take a peek at the Wannsee Villa or the nearby concentration camp (both are just outside Berlin).

Have a nice holiday and kind regards,

Reinout

R.Hubbers, 2004.
Old 4 January 2000, 01:26 AM   #4
leo
Forum Ace

If you ever are in Vienna,which really isn' that close to Berlin, be sure to visit the Arsenal Museum (HEERESGESCHICHTESMUSEUM). The times I was thre they had extensive WWI exhibits including aircraft, weapons and memorabilia.
Old 4 January 2000, 01:58 AM   #5
Immo_Frese
Forum Ace

In Berlin - Gathow exists a new Air Force Museum.It is managed by the Luftwaffe der deutschen Bundeswehr. I think there are some aircrafts from WW1, Fokker DVII...
In Potsdam you have to visit Schloß Cecilienhof where 1945 the Potsdamer Conference took place. In Potsdam moreover is the "Ständige Ausstellung Luftschiffe in Potsdam". From 1914 - 1916 sixteen Zeppeline were built here for the Imperial German Army and Navy. In Berlin - Karlshorst you can find the Deutsch - Russisches Museum. In this house Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel signed the surrender of all german forces on 8.5.1945.
In Berlin - Treptow you should visit one of the greatest soviet war cemetery with a very huge memorial.
Hope that helps.
With best regards, Immo Frese
Old 4 January 2000, 05:44 AM   #6
wilkin

Thank you all for your help!
Bernard

Old 13 January 2000, 02:34 PM   #7
Amy
Forum Ace

Wilkin:

Everyone else has covered the good stuff. The Invalidenfriedhof is pretty much the "Who's Who" of the Prussian military. You'll find Werner Moelder (WWII Ace) and Scharnhoorst there as well as a host of other military figures. The cemetery was hit by bombs during WWII and some grave stones were destroyed. I believe Buddecke's grave was one of those hit. Udet's and Beaulieu-Marconnay's graves are still intact.

The Reichstag has been rebuilt and is open for tourist visits. You can also still see the bullet holes in practially every statue in the city, including Brandenburg Gate.

If you have the time, you could take a day trip from the "Zoo" to Boelcke's hometown of Dessau where he is buried.

Enjoy your trip!

Amy

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. -- Ronald Reagan