The Iron Cross was originally established on 10 March 1813 by King Friedrich Wilhelm III. It was reestablished in 1870 during the Franco-Prussian war and again on 5 August 1914 by Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia.
The 1914 Iron Cross was awarded without regard for nationality or social class to combatants and non-combatants for acts of heroism, bravery or leadership skills. Although the medals of each class were identical, the manner in which each was worn differed. Employing a pin or screw posts on the back of the medal, the Iron Cross First Class was worn on the left side of the recipient's uniform. The Grand Cross and the Iron Cross Second Class were suspended from different ribbons.
5 Grand Cross
218,000 First Class
5,200,000 Second Class