2 Squadron of the Australian Flying Corps was formed at Point Cook. with ground staff and airmen picked up from 1 Squadron, AFC and the Light Horse as the squadron traveled to England. Originally designated 68 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps, 2 Squadron of the Australian Flying Corps was renumbered on 21 January 1918. The squadron was heavily involved during the Battle of Cambrai, flying ground support missions in the D.H.5s. In December, they received S.E.5a aircraft and began flying missions as a Scout squadron. Joining 80 Wing of the Royal Air Force in July alongside 4 Squadron AFC, the pair of Austalian squadrons flew as a circus, the Sopwith Camels of 4 Squadron low, the S.E.5As of 2 Squadron providing the high air cover. The squadron also had an ex-French Sopwith 1½ Strutter dubbed "Sophie". When 2 Squadron entered combat, four of its pilots were already experienced veterans having served with the Royal Flying Corps at the front. They were Lt. V.A Norvill to 29 RFC, Lt. G.C Matthews, Lt. G.C Wilson and Capt. R.C Phillipps to 32 Squadron, RFC.
Attached 13th ( Army ) Wing - 22 August 1917
Attached 80 WIng RAF - 1 June 1918
Notes contributed by Cameron Riley